Author Topic: Starting of bow for MoJam auction- full draw page 3  (Read 11551 times)

Offline Bob Barnes

Re: Starting of bow for MoJam auction
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2017, 10:20:15 pm »
It's already up to 6 3/8" of reflex and I still have to add more sinew to fill some gaps. This stave almost worries me with how much reflex it has. oh well, it'll make a fun one to tiller.

Kyle

pictures  ??????    (-P

Patrick- let the bidding begin...  >:D
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2017, 05:08:25 pm »
I'm finally starting to tiller. It's starting with 5 1/4" of reflex. That sknew REALLY atiffened up this piece of wood. I had it floor tillered before, and after I had to remove a bunch of wood just to get it bent into a straight position. I'll post updates as I go. Any guesses as to what the final reflex will end at?

Kyle

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2017, 05:10:42 pm »
BTW, a wasp has called my scale home

Kyle

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2017, 05:41:12 pm »
That'll be quite the looker, Kyle! Hope it stays together for ya

Am working on an osage toothpick as kids' bow for the auction.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2017, 05:54:05 pm »
Watching this one...   :BB :BB :BB

-OneBow

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2017, 07:06:11 pm »
This much reflex is a PITA to brace. I've been floor tillering it back and o still can't get it braced high enough to start pulling it back yet. I'm just after a flat profile at the moment. It felt like I avout cut my hand off between the string and belly wen I pulled back to 5" of reflex with the string tight. I don't know how the hornbow guys do it with all that reflex.

Kyle

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2017, 07:10:19 pm »
This much reflex is a PITA to brace. I've been floor tillering it back and o still can't get it braced high enough to start pulling it back yet. I'm just after a flat profile at the moment. It felt like I avout cut my hand off between the string and belly wen I pulled back to 5" of reflex with the string tight. I don't know how the hornbow guys do it with all that reflex.

Kyle

I think they use winches, ...and not the kind that carry steins full of Ale to medieval feasting tables.  :o >:D :laugh:

OneBow

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2017, 07:00:12 pm »
I got it pulled back to 25" on the tree at a 6.5" brace where it was pulling about 42#. So it'll be about a 40# bow when done. And probably pick up a bit of weight when winter hits. Then I samded out 95% of the marks and shot about 20 times. There's a little thump. But I atteibute most of that to the tips are still pretty large and ther was about 20" of string hanging off one tips. After pulling 25" on the tree and shooting at 26", it held 2.5" reflex immediately after unstringing. I'm going to try and catch a couple of carp to cover the sinew with, then pick an overlay material that'll go well with the skin. I'll get some tiller pics up tomorrow after I let it rest overnight. I'll see where the tiller sits after letting the ainew pull back a bit.

Kyle

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2017, 07:10:45 pm »

Kyle
Good to hear you got it braced and bending.Putting the overlays on before tillering works good.I make my string knocks 3/4" in from the tips then use a primitive leather booty stringer out of some clothes line.Some guys use an extra string groove on the top overlay then just use a longer string to brace it.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2017, 07:33:24 pm »
That thing was a royal PITA to get to even a low brace starting with 5" of reflex. I couldn't even get the string in until it dropped to about the 50# range. And then one limb was a bit stronger at low brace. To where that one limb would be bent the proper direction, the other would slowly creep back until it got straight, as soon as it hit that point it would jerk into reflex. So when going to a 2-3" brace,each limb would be pointing a different direction. So I evened then up a bit and upped the brace. That kept it I. Place and the limbs were almost even in strength. It almost felt like trying to brace a piece of rubber with how it kept flopping all over the place on its own. Though it went smooth and quick once I finally got it braced.

Kyle

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2017, 07:51:42 pm »
Hmmmm, 40# draw might just work for an old guy with a wonky shoulder.  :OK

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2017, 09:26:50 pm »
Getting it to a higher brace is important for stability reasons in the beginning with those higher reflexed bows.Like you said then you can evaluate the tiller better and your on your way.Using a good FF string tillering that does'nt stretch so much helps then too.
Ought to be a nice bow.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2017, 04:17:20 pm »
I'm thinking about putting down a layer of heavy brown paper over the sinew before putting in the carp skins to help the pattern pop. Thjnk it's worth it? Since it won't take much effort and I have one of those 140' rolls from lowes. I did manage to catch one carp worth skinning yesterday, plus this beautiful young mirror carp. If it was larger it might have ended up on my wall. But it lived to fight another day.

Kyle

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2017, 06:51:17 pm »
The brown paper won't add anything but excess physical weight. The skins should give plenty of protection to the sinew plus they should look pretty sharp.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2017, 08:36:27 pm »
+1 what Pat B said.Cool looking carp too.
BowEd
Ed