Author Topic: Starting of bow for MoJam auction- full draw page 3  (Read 11376 times)

Offline Emennis

• "In the long run, you only hit what you aim at"HT
    • Facebook Page
Re: Starting of bow for MoJam auction
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2017, 09:39:07 am »
That is looking to be a very pretty bow, and cool looking fish :)
The thing about archery is that everyone can do it and everyone can have a good day at it. You don't have to be an expert.

Tom Barker

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2017, 09:50:50 am »
I've used alcohol dye like leather dye to stain sinew prior to skins put on.It takes a thinner skinned backing to show through nicely.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2017, 05:26:43 pm »
I got the tips cleaned up and skins glued in and cleaned up. It took two carp to cover, one side of each fish on each side. I used purple heart for the overlays. It's crazy how much the moisture in the sknew effects the bow. After letting it sit in the hot truck for a couple of days it pulled back to about 5" of reflex after I tillered it out. After gluing in the skins the moisture made it relax down to about 2" of reflex. Once it dries back out I expect to see the 5" again. Before I glued the skins on, I flexed it against my foot and it feels like it was bending more like a 50# bow as opposed to a 40# like it initially tillered it to. Now that all the gluing is done, maybe I can get it dried out and sort of stabilized before MoJam. I'll let it dry a couple weeks, do a tiller check/tweek, then apply the markings and finish. I don't know what to put for a poundage right now if it shifts that mush with humidity. Maybe put it as a +or- whatever weight it shows to be.

But in liking how the Purple Heart and carp skins look on it.

Kyle

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2017, 06:00:03 pm »
Looks like a flexy sexy quick stick to me.
Even when I know a sinewed bow of mine is cured I still go for the lower end of my poundage settings while tillering.Seems even after 6 months things go on with the bonding process of glue and sinew to fortify the poundage.I hate to retiller bows with finish on them.
Nowadays I'll just write 48 to 50 pounds in that range.Not just one paticular number.
After a 6 to 8 hour bracing the poundage can be just slightly lower then in the beginning shooting but not much to notice really.Letting them set in a warm enviornment or even the sun gets them returning very quickly.It's just like they are alive,Pretty cool really!!!
Nice looking bow there with your combinations of overlays and skins.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2017, 10:22:55 pm »
That looks pretty dangerous cool!
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2017, 11:17:00 pm »
Gonna be another interesting auction!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Mad Max

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2017, 05:14:18 pm »
I will put a bid or two on it.
Can't wait to see it.
I would rather fail trying to do something above my means, Than to succeed at something beneath my means.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2017, 03:15:50 pm »
Now those aren't Glass Carps are they?  We don't go for none of that fibrous Glass Carp backings here on PA you know!!! ;)

OneBow

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2017, 11:06:56 am »
Not to worry, no fibrousy carp on this one.(I hid the fibers under then carp, don't tell anyone).

I got it out back on the tree a minute ago. I sanded one limb a bit with 80 grit to even things out a bit. Then just excercised it back to 27" again where it was pulling 45#. So it gained 5# while drying after putting yge carp skins one it started with 4.5" of reflex before going on the tree and after about 20-30 pulls to 27" it unstrung with 2.5" of reflex and has already gained an inch back in the time it has taken to type to this point. Now to make a string for it, shoot it a ton and start on the finish work.

The one limb that I designated the lower (left side on tree) has about 1" more reflex than the other. The unbraced picture is right after taking the string off. And I expect it to eventually recover to te full 4.5" reflex after a bit. So how does it look? Any little tweaks you all can see?

Kyle

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2017, 01:25:01 pm »
Its kinda hard for me to tell kyle.  I love the shape you are going for though! Is there any way you could get a full draw pic with you drawing it by hand? And a braced photo without your tillering tree in the background?

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2017, 06:09:46 pm »
Here us go. Sorry about holding the bow at a downward angle. I didn't realize I was holding that low and my cameraman was in a hurry. In the picture it is drawn to 26". So how's it look in hand? It pulls back smooth and even. Don't know how it shoots now with the tips lightened a bunch and the carp skins on, compared to how it shot while still a bit rough. Even with heavier tips and a roller string it shot well, quick with a slight thunp as the arrow left.

Kyle

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Re: Starting of bow for MoJam auction- full draw page 3
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2017, 09:31:57 pm »
Well,  I've looked at up several times.  I think your bottom limb looks out of time with the upper limb.  Looks like its stiff from the handle down about 6 to 8 inches.  But in your half draw pic the bottom limb looks to have a hinge.  But in the full draw the outer third is bending. 
That is what I see bud. 

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2017, 11:09:32 pm »
I agree. I noticed the same things when I studied the pictures myself. I think a good sanding starting at 80 grit and working back to 320 should bring it around on that inner portion. I'm not sure about the outer. I might hit it with 120 on finer. I think a little wouldn't hirt but won't need much. I doubt it'll lose much weight doing that either. It's sort of wierd to me that it looks a bit worse at 1/2 draw than it does at full draw.

Kyle

Offline DC

« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2017, 10:55:56 am »
Stiff inner third on the lower limb, yup

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2017, 05:28:06 pm »
I got the tiller touched up and evened out till th arrows would leave without a parting twang. All the finish is on and I'm working in the last couple details. A leather arrow pass on eachc side and a leather lace handle wrap.

Kyle