Author Topic: turkey hunting set up, photo custom turkey head added  (Read 15596 times)

Offline bradsmith2010

turkey hunting set up, photo custom turkey head added
« on: February 15, 2017, 01:43:25 pm »
 :) :)    ok I am getting ready for turkey hunting,, I can go to Texas first of April,,so about 6 weeks to get in practice,,,
the bow I am using I made last year,, well I think 2015 cause I used it for spring hunting last year,,
it is osage 55 1/2 nock to nock and draws about 50 at 27 inches,,it is wide and handles the draw fine,, I wanted something to shoot sitting down or in a blind,,
     ok the arrows are heavy spine and weight,, but they fly just great,, sometimes a bow does not go by the chart,,
they are about 700 grains birch  and 65# spine,, I plan on keeping my shots close,, hopefully my decoy will help with that,, dont get me wrong when I stump shoot I like to shoot long range,, but on a turkey,, I want a close shot,,and at 10 yards these arrows fly great, and tradjectory is not an issue,,
      I will be using a 2 blade simmons head,, I have thought about getting a head that I could head shoot with,, but just dont have the confidence,, maybe next year,,
      I can call pretty good, so if the turkeys are in the mood, I think I can get a good close shot,, :)

I am also thinking of getting a ghillie suite to try,, but dont have one yet,,

« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 08:07:35 pm by bradsmith2010 »

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
Re: turkey hunting set up,,
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 02:14:54 pm »
Very nice set up. Good luck on turkey hunting

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 04:13:04 am »
Looks and sounds like that should do the trick Brad. Good luck and shoot straight. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline chamookman

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 04:20:41 am »
Good luck - have fun. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 07:42:48 am »
Looks perfect.You got the merriman strain of turkey there?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 09:04:53 am »
Very nice Brad, was this the bow with the hair on rawhide?

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 11:46:38 am »
Very nice little bow Brad and the tiller is perfect. Good luck with the thunder chickens.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 01:54:12 pm »
thanks guys,, yes the merriman is here in santa fe,, but I will be hunting in Texas Rio Grande,,
yes there was a little hair on the rawhide,, that is what is giving it the color,,
I hope to get to hunt here too,, but it is harder to find a place to hunt ,, there is public land,, but I dont know my way around too well,,

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 04:12:03 pm »
That is a sweet bend on that little bow!  Good luck with the birds.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 09:23:09 am »
That is a really nice bending uniquely covered bow Brad.I see the rio grande bird is over there.The eastern here seem to be a very wary type,but if I can stay at it hopefully run across a hot enough strutter  I can get a good shot.Getting a turkey is a big achievement with primitive equipment for sure.Ghilly suit sounds good too.
Hav'nt heard them gobbling here yet but will soon I'm sure.Some years sooner than others.Good luck.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 02:30:54 pm »
yes I think it depends on how much pressure they get and how "educated" they are,,
a young jake that never seen hunter,, can be easier,, than a big bird that got shot at several times,,
but they are all fun,,
I have hunted in Tenn,, Colorado,,, New York,,,Texas,, New Mexico,, and seen easy and smart birds all over,, you just have to get lucky,, right???  Im more patient than ever,, and that helps,, I just like being out there,, when I might get a chance to shoot one,, still trying to decide on the ghillie suite,, I could use it for deer too,,

Offline jimmi the sammi

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2017, 07:46:18 pm »
Nice set for gobbler chasing!  I would highly recommend a leafy suit for all hunting.  Our group here have been using leafy suits with a leafy head net for a number of years especially when trying for gobblers.  We have had turkeys walk within feet of us while in the open without a blind of any sort.  Of course the big thing is getting the shot off!  Trying to move still gets them on the run if they see movement.  We have shot gobblers as close as 8 - 10 feet away with primitive archery gear using the leafy suit.  Not so with regular camo.  There are 8 of us who have converted because of how well they have worked over the years.  Even started using the suits for deer hunting now.  Good luck this spring!  The birds are starting to get quite active in our area.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 08:03:29 pm »
well Ive been out shooting the turkey bow today,, not quite confident on a head shot,, but my accuracy is pretty consistent,, I hope if I work hard,,, I will have the confidence for a head shot,,
gonna check out the leafy suite,,for sure,, most my shots I have been practicing sitting down or kneeling,,

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2017, 10:48:24 pm »
well I am getting pretty excited about hunting some birds,,
still need to get my leafy suite,, my work has gotten in the way of getting all my supplies together, but I have a few weeks,, so I am ok,,
I am Still practicing nearly every day,, and working on my head shot at less than 10 yards,, I know thats a dream,, but I am still unrealistically optimistic,, hope you guys are getting ready,,, sure would like to see your set up and photos,, :G

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2017, 07:04:41 am »
Here's my set up.Same thing s deer hunting but without the tree stand harness and a different bow.
BowEd
Ed