Author Topic: Brace for heartbreak  (Read 5015 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Brace for heartbreak
« on: February 16, 2017, 11:47:10 am »
My buddy called me a few nights ago. He was taking it like a man but I could hear the heart break in his voice. He broke the HHB bow I made him while he was stringing it. I've always just used the step through method to string my bows. Sometimes the lighter weight ones I use push pull. I've never used a stringer. I really don't even exactly know how to use them. I have gotten along just fine using step through and like not having to deal with another piece of equipment but these bows I'm making now with the reflex and hooks are a bit of a struggle sometimes. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for my buddy. I have a F.G. bow someone gave me. I offered and really hoped he'd take to practice but he didn't take me up on it.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Brace for heartbreak
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 11:50:24 am »
Push pull is the only method you need to know, BJ. I brace every bow I own, including ILF recurves with the push pull. Unless the stringer goes from tip to tip, its bad on wood bows. Step through is nasty, IMO.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 11:51:59 am »
I use the push pull method but once the hooks get to a certain size a stringer is the only way to go.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 11:56:04 am »
I like the push pull when I can do it. I just can't seem to eat enough Wheaties to get some of these bows strung. I'm not sure if it's my technique or if I just need to do it more to strengthen those muscles
Bjrogg

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 11:58:49 am »
Its all technique, you are more than strong enough to push/pull an 80# bow.

On recurves, any style, hook that bottom tip right into your arch and focus on pushing and pulling the same amount/distance so each limb is stressed about the same.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 12:06:59 pm »
Thanks Pearl. I'm going to work on it. I know when I first started shooting a 45 lb bow seemed like about all I wanted now it seems so light a 60 seems like a 50. I imagine the same thing could had using push pull and can see how it's safer for bow.
Bjrogg

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 12:09:22 pm »
I think its the best method when stringing a bow who's tiller can change when a limb is over-stressed during bracing. Glass bows? Anything goes as they are ALMOST bomb proof. Your string can be a foot from the tip and you can still yank the grip up and brace it. No harm done. Try that on a wood bow a few times and you might just change your tiller, or break it.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 12:15:46 pm »
  I like stringers for some recurves, but for me step-through method is absolutely last choice.

Sorry about the bow.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 12:22:36 pm »
I always spead the stress by making sure my tip is on my foot and handle is against my other leg. Then grab other tip and pull while helping push with others hand some as I slide string up to notch. I can see how it could be kato if not done perfectly though.
Have to work on that push pull.
Bjrogg

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 01:13:20 pm »
I use push/pull on most bows unless they are heavy weight or recurves. Some recurves I use push/pull but if I have to strain I use a stringer. I prefer a stringer with a tip cup on each end.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 01:22:17 pm »
Thanks Pat. I might have to do some research on stringers or eat more Wheaties. I got a couple bows I'm not going to be able to shoot for awhile with the push pull but I'll keep trying. I feel like that fella on that TV show Alone right now.lol. Except I'm not anything close to skinny
Bjrogg

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2017, 01:25:06 pm »
Just eat your fish ;D ;D ;D

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2017, 01:35:06 pm »
DC I can guarantee I eat almost anything that gets put in front of me. I was really routing for that guy. If he could have heard me I kept telling him to eat the fish.
Bjrogg

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2017, 01:52:00 pm »
stringers scare the heck out of me... being a bow hack, I always picture the back blowing right into my face.  I did get an ankle string that will prevent torque while keeping my face face safe.  Here's the kicker... about 2 years ago I was unstringing a hunting weight recurve, which is rare for me as i hunt with longbows.  Long story short, I slipped the loop off the nocks and then it spun and took out my eye... $35000 in Dr. bills and I can't see out of that eye.  It could have been much worse.  I've heard stories of people being killed doing the same thing.  I decided to just shoot longbows... LOL.  It's something I had done thousands of times, but stuff happens.  Sorry to be the gloom and doom guy, but hopefully it will prevent someone else from doing it.
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2017, 02:33:09 pm »
Wow that is a scary story Bob. Don't be sorry for me it's just a piece of wood and I can make him another. Sorry to hear about your eye. I hate wearing glasses but to be totally honest I'm pretty sure I'd have one poked out by now with out them.
Bjrogg