Author Topic: Top limb or bottom limb  (Read 2798 times)

Offline bushboy

Re: Top limb or bottom limb
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2017, 03:08:46 pm »
From what I've seen,deflex limbs are stronger than reflexed ones.a straight limb also has the edge.reflex on top is my choice.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2017, 09:20:52 am »
Thanks fellas for the insight.I should of said this prospective bow is sinewed with fairly extreme reflex reversed braced.The measurements from back to string match along each same point to each other within 1/8" but when set standing on it's belly one limb is around an inch higher.
No decisions need to be made yet because tillering it is quite aways away timewise.
I've done it both ways before top or bottom.Just wondering what you all thought about a decision like that.I see Pat M chose the ala natural view point.That's cool....lol,but that does'nt make any difference to me either or the bow for that matter.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2017, 08:25:22 am »
When this bow sets dead flat on it's belly on a desk top and I'm sure the belly of the handle is flat and even too.Tips up one tip is 1" higher than the other from the surface of the desk top it's sitting on.I'm assuming it has more reflex in the higher set tip limb.It was tillered before sinewing to an even brace and that's it.As I said measuring along the reverse bracing comparing there is only maybe 1/8" difference along the same points along each limb comparing them.I can't make any decisions yet until after tillering as to which limb is on top or the bottom.The bow is 58" long.
I feel as long as the arrow draws in a straight line to full draw it should'nt shoot high or low but with good arrow flight.Going back to what you said Brad I'll need to tune on the bow shooting arrows to see what it does.Make a decision then.Keeping the handle usable for shooting both ways.
Upon further inspection I suspended the bow on it's belly of the limbs between a 3'  wide set apart pegs.Measuring now the difference is'nt that much between the height of the 2 tips.Only 1/4" in height.I'm just wondering how the pressure points on my bow hand are going to feel as to whether it might shoot high or low.I know I'm making this more complicated then it should be.Just shoot the bow in when it cures and let the chips fall were they may.
Thanks for the comments.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 09:13:09 am by Beadman »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2017, 09:52:44 am »
For sure, I think you are right that the proof will be in the pudding at this point.  With as little difference as there is, moving your grip up or down the bow a half inch or gripping it with more of your palm-heel down will make that much difference.  Just rock it in your hand, and feel around a little as you pull it to partial draw will tell you what's next.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2017, 10:18:14 am »
Yes my thoughts exactly.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2017, 10:05:31 am »
I finally figured out or it dawned on me why one tip of the reversed strung bow was higher with the bow setting on the belly of the handle after studying it better.The one limb has a suttle slight deflex coming out of the fade.Distance between string and back is the same for both limbs yet.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2017, 10:11:48 am »
sounds like a good plan bet it gonna shoot great, with either limb up,,making the decision even more difficult  :D :G

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2017, 10:14:52 am »
Too many decisions.That's why I'm not the best finish man.....lol.
BowEd
Ed