Author Topic: Out of commission for a while, especially bow building and shooting  (Read 12134 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

As of Tuesday night, now more of almost anything for me for a while. On my way home from work that night about 2 miles from home, I crested a hill and there was a truck in each lane. I swerved a bit but we still collided. I was going at about 55 mph, im not sure how fast they were going. I never lost conciousness through the hole thing. I'm glad I had on my seatbelt and the airbags were working. Since my face slammed forward into the airbag in impact. Then my truck did a 180* turn into the ditch. As soon as the movement stopped tried opening the door, I wouldn't budge and I oulf feel it smashed up. So I tried crawling up through the window, but I saw blood running from my face and a sharp pain in my left hip and right foot. So I stopped and called 911 asking for an ambulance. I disnt know how any one else was until we got to the hospital. Which 2 of us ended up getting taken by ambulance to Columbia. In the end I ended up with a broken right ankle, left hip was stretched and bruised, with small cuts everywhere, but the worst. I had a 2mm piece of glass pierce my left eye and bounce off my lense making it haze over. I was sent home after the surgery yesterday from having the glass removed, the damaged lense removed, and the hole stitched shut. I go back tomorrow to get my eye checked up on. And then Wednesday to get my ankle looked at again when the swelling goes down to see if it will need surgery or not. There's one broken bone in there that's very slightly skewed and they don't know for now if they can do anything better about it.

So for now I have no vision in my left eye except for light and very little shadow. In a couple months they will try putting in a new lense and see it that'll help get my vision close to normal. So for now I camt lean forward or lift more than a few pounds to keep the pressure off that eye. And I have a bum foot I can't put pressure in incase I loose my balance. There's going to be a lot a lounging around for me.

Seat belts and airbags to save lives and reduce damage. I happened to know the drivers of the other two trucks pretty well. Makes a bit of a predicament between being angry at them and hoping they get better and forgiving them. But the one I hade a head on with ended up with several places stitches up, a broke ankle, and a major concussions along with many more bruises and scrapes than I. He was just released today. I wore my seatbelt, he didn't.

Here's a couple of pictures incase anyone wants to see.my ankle looked like I was storing a baseball I there. And all the highway patrol, first responders, nurses and doctors said they've never seen someone in as good of mood and so talkative for what had just happened. I was even trying to help them a bit since I have so much trouble sitting still and doing nothing.

Kyle

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
Re: Out of commission for a while, especially bow building and shooting
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 07:54:33 pm »
Holy crap Kyle!!  I hope you have a quick recovery. 

Mike

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 08:08:22 pm »
Yikes! that's a wreck. The truck,I mean. You take care of yourself. Do like they say.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 08:08:35 pm »
Hope everything heals up good and quick for you Kyle.  Glad everyone is alive

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 08:22:46 pm »
Heal quick brother
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 08:48:53 pm »
Looking at the damage to your vehicle I'd say you are very lucky to only have the injuries that you have.  I hope the recovery goes well.  You could pass some of the down time by going back through the old pages of the PA forum.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PNewton

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 09:32:33 pm »
Hope you and the others have a good recovery. I admire your attitude.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 09:55:44 pm »
Yes thankful you are alive bud.Life changing moment for sure.Good that you are young enough yet.I know sometimes I'm not wearing a seat belt yet but most times do.Good example to heed the reason to use one here.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 10:44:39 pm »
Hope everything with the eye works out well, Kyle. Even if ya can't make anything for a bit, keep in touch with us!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 10:59:56 pm »
I would say the big guy up above was watching out for you from the looks of your truck. Hope you heal up fast.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 11:23:23 pm »
Wow, from the looks truck I am extremely glad that you are doing as well as you are Kyle. You'll be in our thoughts and prayers, get well soon.

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2017, 11:24:47 pm »
Looks like you was very lucky. Hope everything thing turns out good.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2017, 11:28:44 pm »
Kyle,
Glad you got through that alive!  I agree about the seat belts.  Hopefully, the eye surgery will be as easy as a normal cataract job.  The folks in Columbia are darned good medical people, they'll take good care of you.  Remember to take your meds. on time, and do what they tell you😀.  Get well quickly. 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2017, 12:53:00 am »
Good luck with your recovery, I hope all goe's well.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline sleek

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2017, 02:52:45 am »
I know you are going to be fine, but knowing you and seeing you all beat to heck  really hurt me to see you that way. dude I am glad you are alive!  ;)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 10:21:56 am by Pappy »
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others