Author Topic: Out of commission for a while, especially bow building and shooting  (Read 11923 times)

Offline gifford

Re: Out of commission for a while, especially bow building and shooting
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2017, 05:24:54 pm »
Kyle - You're in our thoughts and prayers.  We're glad your gave us an update. 

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2017, 03:34:25 am »
Glad you are doing better. I hope the eye surgery goes good.  Still praying for you buddy!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2017, 01:04:19 pm »
Kyle,
Went through cataract surgery last spring - Lala land and a light show, semi awake through the whole thing, didn't realize it took about 45 minutes to an hour.  Sounds like you will get the same sort of procedure, relax and enjoy(?) The show😀.  Sounds like you are doing as good as possible.  We are all pulling for you I'm sure.  I doubt the docs want you shooting high power rifles for a while, though!  Maybe a light bow when you can lift and pull :BB :NN :).
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2017, 01:54:22 pm »
Thanks everyone for keeping me in your thoughts and prayers.
I think this injury did mess up my desire to have one of the really hard recoiling Rigby rifles. And I can't pick up the long range rifle for a while, it doesn't recoil bad, but it weighs 20#. But it's probably for the best anyway. Once I get a couple bows caught up for people,  I'll have to make a light one for myself. I havnt made anything for myself in a while now.
I actually just got the preop call a couple minutes ago, I didn't realize they were going to use anesthesia for the surgery. Yhatlll make it much more nice being dulled down to not thinking about what there doing. It'll be very similar to a cataract surgery, except without putting the new lens in for a while.

Kyle

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2017, 04:21:27 pm »
I had the surgery Monday and the checkup Tuesday. And there is definite improvement to my sight. It's still not good, but I can make out objects and some details now. It's about like my eyesight in my good eye but without my glasses on. Wth the extra distortion of the scarring and wrinkled cornea from the stitches. Once the inflammation goes down and the stitches are removed, cut feels like my vision won't be too bad compared to what I'm used to even without the lens.

But it was an interesting experience. Fully awake and aware of time, but just enough anesthesia to be calm. After the shot to numb my eye, I couldn't feel a thing, but I could see the occasional shadow of the utensils removing the lens material. There would be a tweezer shaped shadow appear and grab a little squiggle that would move as it was pulled away. They had some music playing, so I just layed back for about 40-45 minutes and listened. I'm glad they weren't playing country or bluegrass or I would've been tempted to sing and dance along. I've been trying to figure out what there cutter was since they would say to turn it on and I could hear a humming sound. I'm guessing it was a laser. It was definitely an interesting experience that wasn't unpleasant at all until the numbing medicine wore off over night. Now it's the long wait until I get a new lens.

Kyle

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2017, 07:51:16 pm »
That all sounds great Kyle. I sure hope your ankle heels good to.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2017, 07:37:41 am »
Good deal buddy! Hope you are better and we see you at mojam this year! Still praying for you!

Patrick

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2017, 03:14:11 pm »
Great news, Kyle.  Hope things keep improving, and you have a full recovery quickly.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2017, 01:13:15 pm »
Good to hear some good news on this front.  Been worrying about you, for what little good that does either you or me.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2017, 09:26:14 am »
Thanks for the kind worda everyone.
I'll get another update on both my ankle and eye in the next week. I'm confident I'll be put back to normal. Just gotta put in my time at this point. I don't think they could make me miss MoJam if they had me strapped down. I'm excited to get down there again and see everyone.

Kyle

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2017, 12:31:51 pm »
Good to hear buddy! Looking forward to seeing you in a few month!

Patrick

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2017, 10:29:52 am »
I just got 4 of 6 stitches removed from the eye yesterday. And he gave me te OK to go back to doingg normal activities in a few days once the scratches from the removal heals up. My vision in that eye is better, I can distinguish shapes now, but still not good. Which I don't expect it to be until they put a lens in. But I get checked again in a month to see about when to put a lens in. But it's healing well and by the end of the weekend I can essentially do as I please again.
Monday the orthopedic doctor will check out my ankle and see how it's healing. Hopefully it's more good news and I can start placing some weight on it. Then I can start drivin again. And as wierd as it sounds, I'm excited to get back to work again.

Kyle

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2017, 10:45:28 am »
Great news Kyle, funny how much a person misses work when you can't do it.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2017, 06:47:28 pm »
Good deal buddy! Ive been out of work for about 2 and a half weeks and I don't miss it at all.  But I do have quite a bit to keep me busy.

Patrick

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2017, 09:14:00 am »
I can officially walk again! At yesterday's checkup the doctor asked if go was ready to walk again and told me to stand up. It's nice to use both feet again. But after nearly 2 months of no weight on that foot, it sure wasn't a pleasant experience. I think I'll be using a crutch or cane for a few days until I can tolerate placing my full weight in it again. Then it'll be time to hit the gym again and build that leg back up. Both my eye and ankle doctors told me I can do as I please, so I'm dangerous again! Just slowed down a bit and little more clumsy.

Kyle