Author Topic: It followed me home thread  (Read 251976 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: It followed me home thread
« Reply #225 on: April 17, 2017, 01:12:14 pm »
Dang, Scott-o!  An amazing meal of mushrooms with a side of elk?  Food of kings!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #226 on: April 17, 2017, 05:48:36 pm »
Well these didn't actually follow me home. They came to visit and didn't go home.

My neighbor brought them down for me to string for him so he could sell them at a yard sale.You know I couldn't let that happen. Got the DH Mamba,55# for $40 and the Kodiak Magnum, 48# for $30. Took me twenty minutes to get the twist out of the bottom limb on the Magnum. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #227 on: April 17, 2017, 05:49:30 pm »
A couple more.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #228 on: April 17, 2017, 06:49:46 pm »
 Nice bows!  I like the mamba.  I've got a DH bow that was my uncle's.  They seem well built.    Is that magnum what mine looks like under the spray paint?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline DC

« Reply #229 on: April 17, 2017, 06:51:16 pm »
Nice old bows. Did you make the strings out of that coil of stuff ;D ;D

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #230 on: April 17, 2017, 07:45:59 pm »
I shot both of them the other day and boy that Mamba is fast. I'm pretty sure that's what you have Clint. If we could see the serial number I could tell you for sure and also put it in Wade's Kodiak Magnum registry on Tradgang. I put this one in it.

DC, I was just playing with the trash from pruning my grape vines back last year.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #231 on: April 17, 2017, 08:01:00 pm »
I couldn't take it any longer Mullet.  I started cleaning up the mystery bow.  Turns out its a Super 48 just like the other one.  It's 50 lbs and the other one is 55 lbs.  I'm going to take them to work tomorrow and scrub some more paint off.  Should I put something on the limbs where I cleaned with the acetone?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #232 on: April 17, 2017, 10:07:48 pm »
Wow! And they are both black glass. Clint, put the acetone on the rag and not on the bow first and you should be okay. after you get through just polish it with a good car wax.

I thought they were both Super Magnums by the handle profile but the one looked a little longer then the other one in the picture.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #233 on: April 17, 2017, 10:19:45 pm »
I thought the one was longer also just by looking at them.  I've been reading about a product called Goof Off for removing paint from bows.  I'm going to look for a bottle of that to try out.  It might be a little safer than acetone.  When I cleaned those 2 spots I put just a little acetone on a rag and scrubbed it.  I didn't remove any of the original markings. 

So the black glass is more collectible?  What other colors did they have? 

Offline chamookman

« Reply #234 on: April 18, 2017, 03:13:28 am »
Good save on the Pair Eddie ! Really like the Mamba - classic lines, plus they really Zing an arrow  (SH) ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #235 on: April 18, 2017, 10:17:15 am »
Clint, I used Goof Off on the '59 and it stained one limb I will have to wet sand out.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #236 on: April 18, 2017, 10:18:33 am »
Bob, I was impressed how fast it flung an arrow.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #237 on: April 18, 2017, 12:22:35 pm »
Clint, I used Goof Off on the '59 and it stained one limb I will have to wet sand out.

How bad did it stain it?  Some guys on Tradgang said to use the goof off.  I figured it would be safer than acetone.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #238 on: April 18, 2017, 03:21:37 pm »
Bad enough to where I srayed it on and you can see where it ran down the limb. Kinda "hazed' it lighter where it ran. I've used it on other bows to remove sticky stuff and dirt stains.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #239 on: April 18, 2017, 03:27:23 pm »
 here's a true story about Goof Off. I redid my bathroom and put a plastic tub in. I wanted a cast-iron one but we are looking for a deep one and they are just too much money. I had the bathroom completely done but there was a sticker in the tub that need to come off. so I grabbed goof off and I sprayed a little on and walked out of the room for a couple minutes when I came back in I quickly realized that it was actually eating away at the plastic. I quickly got it up as quickly as I could and neutralized it with water. It destroyed the finish of the bathtub and to this day that area easily stains. I have no idea what's in Goof Off but it does no favors to Plastics. Not sure about different finishes and fiberglass but I approach that stuff very weary now.