Author Topic: Fred Arnold 2017 Bow Trade, Pictures Please, housekeeping issues  (Read 150515 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Re: Fred Arnold 2017 Bow Trade, progress updates, questions and chat
« Reply #255 on: April 25, 2017, 01:29:25 pm »
One last picture from me. I have to show the colors after just one coat of tru oil. The tet will be left for ye recieved to show off. But I did shoot it a bit more this morning after letting the oil dry over night. I have to say. It's hard to let this one go. Shoots fast with no hand thump and almost no noise. It'll only get better with a pair of silencers, and they aren't even necessary with this bow. It came out pulling 55# at 27".

Kyle

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #256 on: April 25, 2017, 02:50:52 pm »
That looks great! That's one bow I'd be proud to own.
Eric

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #257 on: April 26, 2017, 03:53:56 am »
It figures the first one done is the guy who thought he wouldn't be able to participate at all.  ::) ;D

She turned out nice Kyle. I know what it's like to not want to part with one that turns out that nice. I guess you'll just have to make another for yourself. Did you have a plan B bow you were gonna knock out next? Not that you need to. That one's a keeper for sure.  :OK
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #258 on: April 26, 2017, 10:26:00 am »
It surprised me I was able to get back at it so quick and get it done so quickly. Along with two other bows in the same time.

I had plans for a plan B in the form of a black locust bow tht I could crank out pretty quick if I needed. But it's looking like it won't be needed. I'm happy with how this bow and the other bow for a trade turned out, in both looks and performance. So I'll just make one of two for myself at this point. I don't know about you guys, but I have a bad habit of giving away my best bows and only keeping ye low performing or failures for myself. At the moment all my good bows are ones I've got from trades since I wknt part with those. I think I just don't take the time to make bows for myself, just others. But I've got a pair of staves for some experiments set out. Another heavy weight for black cherry and a heavy persimmon. The persimmon goal is 100+# to see what it can take, since it did well in a narrow 60# ELB design, and the BC is just going for a heavy ELB design since it's only 1.5" wide but 80+" long. I'll see if it'll take a 70# at 27" draw. For now I'll consider the cherry the plan B if it holds and I have issues with the walnut. There still a lot of time and lots of ideas flowing.

Kyle

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #259 on: April 27, 2017, 02:27:23 am »
One of the most influential people in my life was a former art teacher. One of his best pieces of advice was to keep as little of your own art as possible. That way you always feel the need to make more. To this day the only art of mine that hangs on my walls were the pieces I gifted to my wife. He was right. I keep making more. I take pictures of it before it goes out, but most of it gets sold or gifted.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline DuBois

« Reply #260 on: April 27, 2017, 06:18:05 am »
Dang it Kyle, once that gets here my suspense will be over and I won't have anything to do but build and shoot that rascal. Oh well, send it anyway. You got my address right?
DK-You got me thinkin I need to clear some space to make room for more now buddy.

Offline JonW

« Reply #261 on: April 27, 2017, 07:52:03 am »
Kyle that looks really nice. I had no doubt that you would be first one done. There is NO quit in this guy.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #262 on: April 27, 2017, 06:29:29 pm »
So how is that eye situation Kyle?
Doesn't seem to slow you a bit buddy!

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #263 on: April 27, 2017, 07:44:48 pm »
Thanks guys.
I find out a bit more tomorrow. I'm hoping to hear when they will put the lens in. so right now I'm still working with limited depth perception. Though I'm starting to adjust to it well. I can get get jnages wth the eye but everything is blurry ebough I can't tell what anything is.
I'm not letting it or my ankle slow me down at all. So far In the time I've been released I've finished two bows I've had started before, started and finished the walnit bow, and started on two long bows. I'd probably have ahooting tonight but the wood is too wet and is taking set pretty early on. I have a heavy work schedule next month mixed with about a week of light duty after removing the stitches and after the lens gets put in. So I'm getting what I can get done while I can.

Kyle

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #264 on: April 28, 2017, 06:35:54 am »
Building a tillering tree this weekend I need help pics and a list

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #265 on: April 28, 2017, 08:07:22 am »
I hope everything goes well Mo-coon I pray they get the lens in soon.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #266 on: April 28, 2017, 11:22:32 am »
Thanks, I'll find out in a few hours from now.
But I can't help myself and have to show how the tip looks with some finish in it.

Kyle

Offline gfugal

« Reply #267 on: April 28, 2017, 12:28:00 pm »
Building a tillering tree this weekend I need help pics and a list
I ave a tillering board. I'm quite happy with it and am willing to share how i mafe it, but if your looking for a tree i can't help you. Eventually i'll make a tillering tree with a pully system one day.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #268 on: April 28, 2017, 01:51:29 pm »
Swamp, Here's my basic tiller tree setup. 2x4 screwed to wall, fixed  pulley at the bottom and one floating up top. I have another pulley under my work bench to guude it around the edge so it doesn't rub when I pull. The back ground is painted with dry erase, which allows me to trace the the bend of each limb. I can pull the stave to a certain draw and hold the rope in the vice to trace arc. The dry erase is also really nice for taking notes. This might be the most useful thing I've ever done to a tiller tree.

Eric
Eric

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #269 on: April 28, 2017, 03:43:17 pm »
That's amazing! Thank you I'm going to go for something like that this weekend.

Oh and my second bow is on its way to floor tiller!