Author Topic: A few garden stakes straightened  (Read 7221 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

A few garden stakes straightened
« on: February 26, 2017, 04:57:24 pm »
The cabin fever of being layed up started getting to me. So I had to do something productive. I got a half dozen bamboo garden stakes straightened out and ready to clean up. It took almost 2 hours, but what else do I have to do. I've got a pile of several dozen I need to straighten. And is a good low impact something I can do. I havnt made any bamboo arrows in a while. I'd forgot how long they take to straighten , but how easy they bend with heat. I'm not sure of there spine, but they feel like they'll shoot well in 40-60 pound bows with a little sorting.

Kyle

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: A few garden stakes straightened
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 05:45:38 pm »
looks like you have a very good start to some arrows 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 06:55:06 pm »
I was needing some more arrows and I can't do much anyway for a couple weeks. I never seem to take the time to make arrows, but am constantly workjng in bows. So why not straighten a handful of shafts each day. I can still be Atleast a little productive. I want to get some more straight grained cherry. I made a handful of shafts with it last year and love it. But straight grain cherry boards are hard to come across. But bamboo is easy to get and its a good second to cherry for me.

Kyle

Offline loon

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 08:11:21 pm »
good job. what do you use/what setting to straighten?

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 10:15:12 pm »
I just hold a heat gun between my knees with te gun set on high. Then I rotate the shaft quickly and constantly moving so I reduce the chance of burning until I can't hold my hand on the hot spot I want to move. Then I use the heels of my hands to bend a little past straight and hold it for a few moments while blowing some heat off. I hit between the nodes on all of them first, the starting with the first I heated up I do the nodes. Then I'll keep rotating through the stack straightening and allowing to cool what is needed until I'm happy. When I hear the internodes I apply the heat up to an inch or lil less from the nodes. With the nodes I focus he heat the the thicker side of the node, otherwise I seem to over heat the thin side if I center the node over the heat gun.

Kyle

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 08:28:28 am »
Those look good, sir! Am surprised how quickly time goes by when working on arrows.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline loon

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 08:38:56 am »
I just hold a heat gun between my knees with te gun set on high. Then I rotate the shaft quickly and constantly moving so I reduce the chance of burning until I can't hold my hand on the hot spot I want to move. Then I use the heels of my hands to bend a little past straight and hold it for a few moments while blowing some heat off. I hit between the nodes on all of them first, the starting with the first I heated up I do the nodes. Then I'll keep rotating through the stack straightening and allowing to cool what is needed until I'm happy. When I hear the internodes I apply the heat up to an inch or lil less from the nodes. With the nodes I focus he heat the the thicker side of the node, otherwise I seem to over heat the thin side if I center the node over the heat gun.

Kyle
Thank you, I'll keep that in mind next time I'll straighten garden canes

Do want to see what arrows these'll turn into :P
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 09:47:51 am by loon »

Offline Buck67

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 09:45:11 am »
The spine may vary widely on those.  I found that bamboo with the same 5/16" thickness can range in Spine from 40 to 120.  However, they are nearly unbreakable.

Offline loon

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 09:47:02 am »
However, they are nearly unbreakable.
Many of mine are brittle, I guess from fungus damage or something, so I bend test them before working with them..

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 11:17:01 am »
I got another 5 sstraightened this morning. I broke one at a node I didn't notice I scorched. But 5 of 6 isn't bad for me. I expect there to be a pretty good spine range. But that's what sand paper is for. Most of these first 11 feel pretty similar and about right for my average bow. But like you said, I can feel a couple that are very heavy and not noticably larger. I've broken quite a few of these bamboo arrows. Usually from a glancing hit on a hard surface that puts a hard impact on a node. Though I havnt broke any from a direct impact. I'm gonna try to get a handful straightened each day until I have a good pile of straight shafts. Then I'll sand them down to a reasonably spine. I'll probably end up having everything ready except for cutting to length and the nocks for a little bit until I can start venturing outside comfortably.

Kyle

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 11:56:43 am »
Nice start - cabin fever can get you going on something.  Good to hear you are somewhat functioning again!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 12:29:31 pm »
Careful holding the heat gun with your knees, you might burn something you don't want burned ;) ;) I usually have one or two break at a node even if I haven't overheated them.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2017, 12:42:07 pm »
Here is a neat video of a Korean arrow maker using bamboo.  He uses some interesting techniques.

https://youtu.be/VK5INvoNTdk

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2017, 02:56:54 pm »
Looks like you got a great plan  Kyle. By the time you get them all finished hopefully you'll be able to start shooting them. Good way to keep your spirit up.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2017, 03:13:08 pm »
Here is a neat video of a Korean arrow maker using bamboo.  He uses some interesting techniques.

https://youtu.be/VK5INvoNTdk

That guy needs a digital grain scale
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left