Author Topic: A few garden stakes straightened  (Read 7267 times)

Offline Aaron H

Re: A few garden stakes straightened
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2017, 04:06:08 pm »
Here is a neat video of a Korean arrow maker using bamboo.  He uses some interesting techniques.

https://youtu.be/VK5INvoNTdk

That guy needs a digital grain scale
And a chair  ;D

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2017, 06:23:20 pm »
That coo coo clock went off a lot of times. Interesting video, they worried a lot about weight and matching nodes but no spine test.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline EdwardS

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2017, 07:01:59 pm »
Been shooting all my life and never heard of spine till internet forums.  Makes me think it matters less than weight or practice shooting any old arrow.  I have done the latter for years now and I have the ability to pick up an arrow, shoot it a few times and drive tacks with it.  It's what my ancestors did and it's good enough for me. 

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2017, 12:43:21 pm »
Here's a few I had made a while back that I never fully straightened and went a bt crooked on me. The thread holding the fletching and broke making the fletchings flop. So this morning I straightenes them and retired the fletchings. I just need to coat the thread to keep it from breaking: I isually use a few coats of clear nail polish. Very tough to abrasion but is easily cut and removed when needed. These shafts are from the same batch I've been woring on. The fm kahles arrows with the 160gr head is around 400gr. And shoot pretty decent from most 35-50 pound bows I've shot them from when they were still straight with tight fletchings. This is how I typically make my arrows. No creating, tied on two fletch of whatever length I feel at the time. Typically 3-4" if they are just going to have field points. Though I'm going to swap over to 4" 3 fletch for my broad head tipped arrows. 4" 2 fletch steers them fine if my release is good. Otherwise they wander a little before gaining control.

Kyle

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2017, 05:25:47 pm »
16 more shafts straightened out today. 5 more left to go. Then I'll start working on sanding, trimming, and cutting nocks.

Kyle

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2017, 12:05:24 am »
Kyle,
Good work, I am trying to brainstorm a heat gun holder that will allow knees free control and two hands on the shaft😀😂.  Didn't think of using the heat gun on the shafts, probably safer than the camp stove.  Plan to make an antler shaft straightener to use on arrows and Atlantl darts, might ease the pressure on my hands.
Take care and get healed soon.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline DC

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2017, 12:09:51 pm »
My heat gun is a Wagner from Home Depot and has a flat back so it will stand with the nozzle pointing up. For the price of heat guns it may not be worth the time to build a jig.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2017, 09:03:33 am »
If I'm working outside I'll just clamp the handle of the heat gun in a bench vise. But for now the benefit of being young and flexible. Sometimes I st on the ground and use my feet o hold the handle, other times I use my knees. I've tried sitting this heat gun on its back, but the cord is o stiff that it keeps knocking it over when I get it where I want it.
I've been meaning to make one of those tools myself, but I've just never wanted to take the time to make one yet. It would probably take 15 minutes to make a useable tool. And an hour to make it pretty and functional. I'm thinking a walnut cut off with a little sapwood wth the heart, make it look like a capital F, with the tips slightly curved in toward each other and a reinforcing taper expanding out from the fingers. Maybe before the next batch of shady straightening.

Out of 30 shafts I had 2 split on me while drilling out the tips to take a dowel plug so I could cut a taper to accept glue on points. All this work on these arrows and I'm just going to give away over half of them to a couple of friends. Oh well, it's an excuse to make some more arrows. I really need to go walk the chariton River and see if I can find me a good patch of river cane and upgrade a bit from the garden stakes. They they are so cheap it's hard to pass them up. If they have a full bin of packages and you are picky on which ones you get, then most of the pack will make useable shafts. Every now and then the entire package is good. I pick through the 36" lengths, and they usually run about $2.50 per dozen stakes. So at this point I had bought 3 packs, so 36 stakes and ended up with 28 useable arrow shafts. So after tax, for less than $10 and a few hours of time, I ended up with 28 shafts. On average the tips are 5/16" diameter with the largest being just under 3/8" before sanding and the nock end run from 1/4"-5/16". I done have a spine tester, but most feel like they should shoot well from 40-55 pound bows. With this batch of shafts, I'm going to sand the nodes smooth and hit the main shafts with 220 grit to smooth then out a little. Since being garden stakes, cruet aren't the best quality bamboo. Oh, and I drill out the tips with a 5/32" bit and plug in 1" of 1/8" dowel with a little TB3 to lick it in. When pushing in the plug. Stop pushing as soon as any resistant if felt, if you push through, you will split the shaft. If it doesn't just slip in full depth.
After sanding the nodes, all I've got left is to cut the nocks. Easily doable with hand tools, but is SOOO much quicker with a band saw. Usually 3 bandsaw blad widths is perfect string fit. And they are ready for samding in about 2 seconds per shaft. Other wise, I drill an 1/8" hole 3/8" in from the end, hand saw a groove to the hole and widen the groove with a box knife. It works but is slow. I'mtrying to figure out a quicker method with hand tools. I'm thinking about trying a tile saw blade of several hacksaw blades glued together to be 1/8" wide.

Kyle

Offline DC

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2017, 12:04:13 pm »
How many TPI is your bandsaw blade? When I try to use my bandsaw (3TPI) no matter how slow I feed it, it tears a splinter on the back of the arrow. I use the little cut off wheels with my Dremel.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2017, 12:43:10 pm »
I'm not really sure. It's my friends dads saw that he uses for cabinet work. But it rarely tears out anything. I wonder if the gap for the blade is a little too wide allowing a tearout since it's not being supported. I'll ask him to see how many tpi the blade is.

Kyle

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2017, 01:43:48 pm »
If you score around the cane with a sharp knife you can break cane shafts easily to the length you desire.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2017, 01:47:56 pm »
I guess I wasn't clear. I was talking about cutting nocks with a bandsaw. Your idea might still work though, just score where the nock will be.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2017, 01:52:04 pm »
I usually make 1 bandsaw cut in the end and open the slot to the size I want with a thin bladed knife and sand paper folded over and over and over until I get the throat opened where I want it to be. I like a loose nock but doing it this way you can make it as big or as tight as you want it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2017, 01:59:06 pm »
Doesn't your bandsaw tear out the back of the arrow? Not a big tear, just an unsightly splinter.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2017, 02:06:07 pm »
I cut from one side then flip it and cut from the other side to clean up any splintering. After I'm done I relieve the sharp corners at the bottom of the throat with a small rat tail file. This eliminates and splinters and makes it easier on the string.