Author Topic: D/R osage bow  (Read 5142 times)

Offline upstatenybowyer

D/R osage bow
« on: March 21, 2017, 06:21:30 pm »
This one took some work. The stave it came from had issues. Crazy lateral bend, propeller twist, and some concerning weathering checks to name a few. Thank goodness that osage, heat gun in hand, will shape like playdough with patience and care. Once I got it balanced out I posted it here on PA. This was a good move cause this was my first attempt with this type of design and the following folks really helped me out...

Badger, joachimM, Bob W., Pearl Drums, bubby, Beadman, ty_in_ND, Springbuck, Selfbowman, and penderbender

Thank you all very kindly. She's got at least 100 arrows through her and she's smooth, comfortable, and deadly.

So here are the specs...

60" ntn
60# @ 27" 
Cherry bark back
buffalo horn, from Greenriver, on the tips and for the inlay (my second attempt, not great but it'll do)
leather handle wrap

let me know what you think  :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline upstatenybowyer

Re: D/R osage bow
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 06:22:08 pm »
more...
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 06:22:42 pm »
and a few more...

Nigerian Proverb

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 06:33:33 pm »
I like everything about it except for the squareness of the handle and fades.  I prefer a more rounded grip and transition into the limbs.  That's just the way I like them to fit in my hand. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 06:52:08 pm »
Beautiful bow Upstate. Sure can't tell that stave gave you any problems from looking at the end product. Looks like you got some good advice and payed attention to it. Well executed
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 06:57:40 pm »
Nice job. Cherry bark backing is on my list. Just need a stave with a flattish back

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 07:03:15 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys.

OO, I appreciate the honest feedback. I definitely still got a lot to learn. Especially when it comes to details.  ;)

Thanks bj, it's kinda like I built it with others. More light comes through two windows than one.

Thanks DC. That cherry bark is great stuff!

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Bob W.

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 07:10:18 pm »
Looks great Jeff,  heat gun and Osage go together, the handle is unique, braced and full draw look good!

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 07:31:17 pm »
Very nice looking bow

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 07:33:57 pm »
Now, that's a nice R/D full draw tiller in my eye. Very nice bow.  8)   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 07:54:51 pm »
Great job Jeff.It held up nice for you.Congratulations!!She pretty accurate for ya too? (SH)
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 08:02:39 pm »
sj, thank you sir.

Pat, I'm happy that you think so. I owe a lot of that to Pearl's input as well as ty's trilam as a reference point.

Ed, you were with me on this one every step of the way brother. She's quite accurate, but I need some practice cause I'm going out turkey hunting with her on May 1! :G :G :G

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Morgan

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 08:27:20 pm »
I think it's a fine looking bow. Good job

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 08:52:40 pm »
I don't blame ya!!!With that cherry bark on there.Perfect length too.You've got a full month to marry up to it.Get some good matching arrows.Good luck!!
I'm gonna try to get close enough to a dumb one. (SH) :G
Love those emoticoms or whatever they are called.
Now just so your band saw does'nt arrive toooo early you might make a different bow for the gobbler.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 08:59:11 pm »
OO, I appreciate the honest feedback. I definitely still got a lot to learn. Especially when it comes to details.  ;)

It's just a matter of personal taste.  Make the grips however you like them to feel.  Once you find a shape that fits your hand like its been molded for it you will probably start making most of your grips that shape.  That's what I did.  I've been making a bulbous grip with a small shelf carved in on my recent bows.  I didn't like the looks of a carved in shelf until I made a couple and really liked how they shot. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left