Author Topic: D/R osage bow  (Read 5139 times)

Offline rps3

Re: D/R osage bow
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2017, 10:51:16 am »
Great job, looks fun to shoot.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2017, 03:11:02 pm »
Very nice upstate, I want to tackle an r/d bow one of these days.  You did a fine job in all respects!  As far as grips, I have gone the other way.  I used to do cut-in shelf and more meat on the handle than I really needed.  I showed one such to a bowyer friend who lives nearby and he mentioned that you can usually tell a noob by the grip lol  :o .  I tried not to take it personally, but it did make me think more about what I thought was a nice looking handle  :BB .  I've pretty much reverted to off-the-knuckle shooting and bowmaking with just enough grip meat to be comfortable, unless I have a recipient that asks for a cut-in shelf. 

Offline bubby

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2017, 06:00:42 pm »
That came out very nice!! I do agree about the grip but you will start to refine that as you grow as a bowyer, nice job😉
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2017, 06:06:59 pm »
Great RD-profile, and looks like a real killer to me. I'm sorry for the turkeys, cause you'll be giving them a hard time for sure  :NN
And I like a cherry bark back anytime.
By the way, a Linden back peeled from a branch, and dried into the desired shape before application also works really well.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 06:10:27 pm by joachimM »

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2017, 06:09:32 pm »
Great looking bow upstate. Looks like a nice shooter, that good luck chasing those turkeys.  Our turkey season  starts in April. I can't wait to chase one with my bow.
Northern Ute

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2017, 06:27:12 pm »
Cheers Morgan, I'm glad you dig it.  :)

Bead, the only thing I ever shot was a rabbit.  (B) That kinda ruined me for hunting mammals cause even though it was a good shot (right through the head from about 30 yards) the thing just wouldn't die! I chased it down (still had the arrow going right through it's noggin) tried to cut the head off, and it just kept running around like crazy. Traumatic! But a turkey, nothing cute about them. Plus, the challenge of gettin a gobbler with a traditional bow, now that's an accomplishment!

Outlaw, I wasn't really crazy about the handle and what you wrote about getting it to really fit the hand makes total sense. I'd like to pay more attention to that as time goes on.

rps3, it is a lot of fun to shoot and has a different feel than other designs. I can see why people like to make them.

k-hat, thanks for checking it out. That one you just posted is sweet. Nice character. I still haven't figured out how to make a grip the way I want. I've got abnormally big hands which makes it interesting.

bubby, I love this bow making cause there's always something more learn, improve on, and refine. Thanks for your assistance with this one!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2017, 06:30:18 pm »
joachimM, do you mean the inner bark of a Linden? I just had a HUGE one fall in my woods. How to you harvest it? I'm always looking for a new type of backing.

Thanks Redhand!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Limbwalker

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2017, 12:45:22 am »
Hey great job man! Looks like you worked the tiller out real well. I am wondering how old that Osage is? I thought maybe you could help me, because in late January I cut four green Osage staves. The next day roughed them into profiles and have been sitting at 5/8" for two months in my basement, which is finished and has very low humidity.

I don't have a MC Meter(yet) or a small scale, but I ordered one last week and there has been a hold up. I hope to get it any day. I guess what I'm asking is, if I slowly star working one of the staves are there any tell tale signs to stop and proceed at a later date? I would like to know this even if my MC Meter arrives this week. If not I understand. Congratulations on another job well done. Thanks for posting your work, take care.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2017, 02:23:36 am »
Very nice profiles on this one, nice bow

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2017, 03:41:44 am »
Nice job, beautiful bow. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2017, 05:17:42 pm »
Thanks Pappy and goat.  :)

Limbwalker, sorry to reply late, I've been busy at work. So this osage came from a huge log that was laying on the ground by the side of the road for who knows how long. The stave came from deep inside the log so I wasn't too concerned about moisture it may have absorbed over the years. So, I did the usual. Roughed it out and monitored the weight (I use a baby scale) for about two weeks. Wasn't loosing any so I proceeded to balance and tiller.

I can't speak about MC meters cause I don't use them. However, if the roughed out bow is 5/8" thick and has been in a low humidity environment since January my guess would be it's ready to tiller. Osage can take a little longer to loose moisture than other woods so if you decide to go for it proceed with caution. Unfortunately the tell tale sign that you're tillering an under-seasoned bow is that it begins to take set. There's no reversing that so use your best judgement. Maybe start with a stave you like less than the others? Your call. Best of luck!

Nigerian Proverb

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2017, 05:27:56 pm »
I'm sure you've said this before but what glue do you use to put your cherry bark on?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Whiskeyjet

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2017, 06:29:17 pm »
Dang dude nice work!

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2017, 06:59:58 pm »
Thanks jet.

I just use TB 2 Ed. Occasionally I have to sneak a little CA in a spot or two afterwards, especially if the bow has recurves.  ;)

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2017, 07:25:02 pm »
Way to knock that one into submission, tiller looks great. Been wantin to try one of those one day.
DevilsBeachSelfbows