Author Topic: osage and rawhide shorty  (Read 6090 times)

Offline Stixnstones

Re: osage and rawhide shorty
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2017, 04:38:02 pm »
Funny... just got home from moontree too... Bill and I was talkin last nite about how awesome your work is.. and again you put out another awesome bow.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2017, 06:12:24 pm »
Awesome looking bow Greg.  That thing has some nice wiggles to it. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2017, 06:41:22 pm »
Very nice looking bow!

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2017, 09:25:15 am »
every bow you make is special, you make things look so real. Im glad you are back.   :BB

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2017, 09:28:14 am »
Beautiful bow, love it . tiller looks great. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2017, 10:15:40 am »
Greg....Nice rawhide look again on your bow.You prepare your own rawhide too?I was wondering the process you did on that to get the look you wanted.Dyeing the wood underneath etc. maybe first??There's been threads on this I know but wanted to hear from you.
Anyway the way to get that see through look on rawhide.Like clarified calf skin they used to call it.Practically all rawhide I prepare here is from the brain tanning process in the frame as rawhide dehaired using the dry scrape method.Yearlings very thin perfect for rawhide backings.Then the rawhide turns an egg shell white always.No see through.Somewhat but not what I want for backings.I've resoaked the rawhide before and let dry to try to get that clarified look and have come close but not to my satisfaction yet.The scraper brings the nap up off the leather for that fuzzy egg shell white look.During the dry scrape the epidermis is scraped off too.That might have something to do with it.
I've wet scraped epidermis off too after lyeing for hair removal too and it is'nt near as fuzzy then[makes sense] but it's been a long time ago.Maybe that would work better then.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2017, 11:40:14 am »
This is why you are one of my favourites Greg

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2017, 07:28:46 am »
Thanks again fellas. :)

Ed- No I don't process my own rawhide, this hide was a med./sm. whitetail and fairly thin stuff. I didn't dye the wood under the rawhide, the osage was pretty dark from sitting around the shop for years with the back ring chased. I used 'moccasin brown' leather dye diluted with alcohol and added a little bit of raw umber acrylic paint here and there. I just rubbed the alcohol and dye mix on with a cloth and it shows up splotchy like that. Where I want some darker splotches I dipped a rag with alcohol on it in the umber paint and rubbed it in here and there. Fine steel wool on some areas will help distress it too. Also sprayed a bit of shellac on then rubbed more of the color in again. I like to get some color or pattern down, shellac lightly, allow to dry, then rub some with fine steel wool. After that I rub some more of the color mix into the bow for more depth before adding the final coats of clear finish.
To be honest I often screw up trying to get the look I want and then I'll just start rubbing colors on and off until I'm satisfied with the look. ;)

Heres one more pic of the dye/paint on rawhide, (when you see it up close it looks like some thing a child did) ;D
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Blackcoyote

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2017, 02:45:55 pm »
good looking bow Greg - hope all is well. -Drew
Drew - St. Johns, Michigan

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2017, 01:48:57 am »
Looks like a little killer with a beautiful tiller  8)
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2017, 08:52:24 am »
As usual Greg, a very nice looking bow.  I wish that I had your artful eye.  You could make a compound bow look primitive.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline RatherBinTheWoods

« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2017, 05:11:24 pm »
Love this. Shape, colour, tiller all seem to have come together into something pretty special to my eyes. I can't get Osage but I have some short yew staves I'm looking forward to playing with. Hope they come out even half as good as this one.

Offline Badly Bent

Re: osage and rawhide shorty (found a matching accessory for the bow)
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2017, 03:47:53 pm »
Searching the big action site a few days ago and ran across this appaloosa bone handled pocket knife to go along with this bow. Came in the mail yesterday, gotta accessorize the gear. :D
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2017, 01:51:21 pm »
Cool looking serpent.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2017, 03:19:39 pm »
Everytime a see s badly bent post i get excited to see what ya did... and yet another beautiful bow
DevilsBeachSelfbows