Author Topic: To pee or not to pee...  (Read 4582 times)

Offline shofu

To pee or not to pee...
« on: April 17, 2017, 10:21:01 pm »
So twice in the last 2 weeks and strange thing happened to me:

I was out looking for salvageable wood on the roadsides after windstorms and the highway brush cutters went by when...
not finding anything and drinking coffee, nature called and I pulled over to relieve myself (anybody out there over 40 knows this is more regular than some may think!)...  and BAM!

I realize I am urinating on the very thing I have been looking for!
First time I am watering a downed yew with one beautiful branch still alive - hello!
Then just today after a fruitless drive - hello! someone dumped fresh cherry from pruning and found maybe 2 decent branch staves!

Some have a 'nose' for finding wood - maybe sometimes a different appendage has the magic? ;)
Anyone else encounter this phenomenon?
Cheers,
George
Cheers,
George

Offline osage outlaw

Re: To pee or not to pee...
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 10:26:36 pm »
I have developed a Spidey sense for osage. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 06:11:31 am »
My senses are always on full alert. Arrow shoots, knappable rock, artifacts, bow wood, dead turkeys, deer sinew. The more people who find out about that crazy guy who makes all that primitive stuff and hunts with it the more this stuff just seems to find me. I'm not complaining but my brothers might be soon. This past weekend a black locust tree found me, and yesterday two entire Tom turkeys. I cleaned up the fan tails and rub them in borax for display. Then pinned them down to cardboard to dry. That helps guys remember me next season when I give their fans to them. And last night a TV screen neatly broken and packaged up delivered to me with a promise for more turkey feathers,"lots of them" he said he told everyone.
Bjrogg
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 06:24:47 am by bjrogg »
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 08:28:52 am »
I'm with bj here. Lots of folks around here know about my hobbies... highway dept, business owners, home owners, colleagues at work, ect. Whenever they see a pile of wood or are planning on cutting some they think of me. I've gotten a ton of bow wood this way.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Parnell

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 09:00:36 am »
My brother in law loves to make fun of my always being on the prowl for wood.  Yeah...very funny. :)
1’—>1’

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 09:24:53 am »
My brother in law loves to make fun of my always being on the prowl for wood.  Yeah...very funny. :)

Your secret squirrel missions?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 11:10:09 am »
Steve-o just needs his trusty 10-speed and a sharp hand saw :)

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 12:56:24 pm »
Please for all of our sakes stay out of public bathrooms......you need to control that thing!;)
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 01:44:18 pm »
Must    resist    making    a    "divining rod"    joke....  :-X

;)

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2017, 03:49:22 pm »
There's a beaver joke in here somewhere...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 06:37:40 am »
I am about like BJ, got over 30 pair of Turkey wings this year already and always someone dropping by wanting me to help the split a log, when finished splitting they usually give me a choice piece or 2.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline TimBo

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2017, 04:27:23 pm »
I was thinking of your, um, detection system this morning while out turkey hunting.  I checked REALLY thoroughly for morels just in case it works for them too! 

Offline E. Jensen

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2017, 12:35:36 pm »
That's how I find everything in the woods.  Except its always behind when I am.  I pee, then turn around.  Turkey feathers, elk sheds, cool skulls, you name it.

Offline Newindian

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2017, 05:44:44 pm »
That's how I find everything in the woods.  Except its always behind when I am.  I pee, then turn around.  Turkey feathers, elk sheds, cool skulls, you name it.
Must have yours in reverse
I like free stuff.

Offline sonny

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2017, 02:55:58 pm »
Some time ago I had access to a piece of property our club hunted. Out there one day and stopped for a pee break when I noticed orange roots visible through the leaves. Only then did I realize there was osage on that land.
I ended up cutting one nice tree, from which I got a number of staves but only have one bow from it..
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.