Author Topic: Rawhide-backed Mulberry  (Read 4850 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Rawhide-backed Mulberry
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2017, 10:14:01 pm »
This is a very nice bow.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2017, 12:21:33 am »
DC and Aaron, no actually, I didn't. I'm assuming that by doing so you get the most out of the rawhide? If that works I'll definitely do it. Will it lay straight once it's wet?

Thanks Pat.  :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2017, 12:34:21 am »
From a 2' circle after it was wet and stretched it would have.Especially glued down with tite bond and wrapped with gauze.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2017, 04:19:37 am »
 Real nice bow Upstate. I cut some Mulberry this winter I'm still not sure if there is a bow in the whole tree it was so crooked and twisted up.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2017, 05:11:11 am »
Congrats another beautiful bow , bet if you offered those hwy dept guys a box of donuts & coffee you would get a lot of wood  :NN
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2017, 06:18:47 am »
Very nice job, Mulberry makes a very light physical weight bow and they shoot fast. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2017, 08:22:04 am »
Thanks Ed, I'll remember that for sure. bj,

I'd look for a section of the tree where the string alignment wouldn't be too much trouble. Mulberry doesn't seem to be as forgiving as osage when it comes to shaping with heat.

SB, that's a great idea!

Thank you Pappy. Your absolutely right about it being light. It feels like there's nothing in my hand when I pick it up.  (SH)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline rps3

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2017, 10:40:19 am »
Real nice bow, and perfect timing for me too. I am just now tillering a mulberry recurve for my wife (she doesn't know) :), and it is taking more set than I would have liked and was considering heat treating it.  As this is only my second mulberry and I didn't temper the last, seeing yours has given me the push I needed to do just that.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2017, 09:07:18 pm »
Real nice bow you got there! Mulberry just seems so light doesn't it?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2017, 09:19:41 am »
Mulberry is in the top 5 or 6 bow woods in my opinion. Being that it is light it has the potential to be fast. It is a strong bow wood and lends itself well to belly tempering.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2017, 09:21:40 am »
Mulberry is in the top 5 or 6 bow woods in my opinion. Being that it is light it has the potential to be fast. It is a strong bow wood and lends itself well to belly tempering.

100% agreed.

Nigerian Proverb

Offline rps3

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2017, 04:40:00 pm »
It certainly is light. I just finished tempering mine and adding horn nocks. Hope it turns out as good as yours.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2017, 08:41:59 pm »
It certainly is light. I just finished tempering mine and adding horn nocks. Hope it turns out as good as yours.

Can't wait to see it rps3. I'm sure it will be sweet, I've seen your work before  (-S

Nigerian Proverb