Author Topic: Bow barn  (Read 22164 times)

Stringman

Bow barn
« on: April 28, 2017, 02:00:07 pm »
The first week of April I broke ground on a pole shed that I'd been planning for some time. I had already collected the black locust timbers from my neighbors ground and with the help of a friend we drilled the holes and set the poles upright.

Over the next 3 weeks I spent my free time erecting a shed that will eventually be the setting for bow building and primitive skills classes as well as storage during the off season. My wife's one request was that it look good when I was done. My dilemma was how to do that on a limited budget.

Most of the work I did my self but there were a few spots where I used a second set of hands. The roof trusses and the first few pieces of tin were 2 of those places.

The 1x6 oak board came free from a guy that couldn't use them for furniture due to their warping and checking. The metal roof was collected from 3 different sources and I paid $20 for all of it. And the storm windows were also free.

Total cost at this point is $320 mostly for the dimensional lumber and nails/screws.

Stringman

Re: Bow barn
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 02:02:42 pm »
After the Classic, I will start work in phase II and III.

When the bow barn is completed it will be open on 2 sides and have a footprint of roughly 24'x24'. With some loft space in the back corner.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 02:04:09 pm »
That is coming together nicely Scott.  That will be a great place to work out of the sun and rain. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 02:18:04 pm »
Nice work, Scott and plenty of work space.  Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and any bowyer would think your shed looks good and so should your wife.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 07:25:58 pm by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PNewton

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 06:44:02 pm »
Looking good Scott. You have a good plan going there.

Offline Adam

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 07:18:01 pm »
Looking very good!

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 07:47:38 pm »
That's inspiring. My brother-in-law and I want to build a board and batten sugar shack in the back. Costs a pretty penny, but you've shown a reliable structure can be built without dropping a fortune.  :OK
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 07:47:56 pm »
Very cool Scott.  That's gonna be a great space to work out of when finished.   Are you planning on teaching formal classes?

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 08:14:02 pm »
I like the look of it . that's going to be a nice work shop.

Stringman

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2017, 08:15:09 pm »
You're right upstate, doesn't have to cost a fortune, but I did fall into some sizable good deals on the metal and side boards. Not sure I could duplicate that scenario at my whim. Right place, right time is a big part of life though, so good luck!

Aaron, my goal is to have semi regular learning opportunities (of the informal caliber) for area enthusiasts. Don't know how realistic that is, or if I'm qualified to dream that big, but worst case is I get an nice bow shed out of the deal.

(R :BB :KN (SH) (-S (=)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 08:40:00 pm »
Nice work Scott.Looks plenty respectable to me.I have a recycling junk yard by me too that gets reused for other projects.
Built Robin a four connected 9' by 12' compartment steel roofed and sides shed and runs for all her critters and hay.A 9' by 18' leanto steel roofed shop for her craft projects too.I have the tractor shed.Cool that you used the black locust logs.Your gonna like that place.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2017, 10:02:38 pm »
With your artistic eye, am confident it'll look just fine.
Keep us updated!
 (-P
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline bubby

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2017, 11:13:49 pm »
Man i wish i had the room for that, looking good
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline chamookman

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2017, 04:11:14 am »
Outstanding - Way cool  :BB (=) ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline JEB

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2017, 08:03:11 am »
Very nice outdoor man cave.