Author Topic: Bow barn  (Read 22190 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Bow barn
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2017, 03:51:45 am »
That is looking good Scott, noting like you own work space. I love the design. You can just keep adding on when you need more space, and you will. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Parnell

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2017, 09:40:30 am »
Just catching up on this Scott.  That looks great, awesome design and space.  May borrow your design in the future!
1’—>1’

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2017, 10:15:23 am »
Gotta have a nice big work bench!!!!I add to my lean tos' occasionally here too for various reasons.Is yours within hollering distance from the house?Sometimes that's essential.....lol.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline DC

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2017, 11:05:11 am »
Sometimes just out of hollerin' distance is nice too ;D ;D

Stringman

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2017, 11:30:39 am »
Yessir, good or bad she's just a shout away.  ;D

I think I got a line on some hedge poles to use on the front roof. Won't be any fun nailin into though.

Stringman

« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2017, 11:32:29 am »
Just catching up on this Scott.  That looks great, awesome design and space.  May borrow your design in the future!

Showed the pics to a co-worker yesterday and he said the same thing. This sort of building has a certain appeal that just calls to folks. Borrow away Steve!

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2017, 12:49:08 pm »
I think it looks great Scott. I guess my only concern would be snow load. I guess I don't know where you hang your hat, but around these parts we would run "rafters" from plate to plate and put 2x4  nailers crossways on top of the rafters for attaching the steel. If I described that so you can understand. I'll try to get some pictures if I get a chance
Bjrogg
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 12:58:43 pm by bjrogg »
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Stringman

« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2017, 02:11:44 pm »
I understood perfectly. Your concern was also mine untill I checked out the barn my grampa built some 40 years ago. Similar in almost every way except mine has more slope than grampa's. Since his demonstrated no significant damage or deterioration over 40 years, figured my barn would hold up also.

To answer your question about the 2x4 purlins vs my method: I eliminated the purlins by running the 2x6 trusses the other way. Thus saving cost and weight. I added the bridging to increase load bearing potential and stability (for my sake) on the roof.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2017, 02:21:09 pm »
I great to hear Scott, I'm definitely not saying it won't work it's just not a design I've ever seen before. Glad you've seen it tested. I do like everything about you bow barn and look forward to hearing how teaching our craft develops in the future.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Stringman

« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2017, 02:23:12 pm »
For shore, snow load is dramatically different from your house to mine.  (S)

Stringman

« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2017, 02:12:44 pm »
Fascia tin is up and that about wraps up phase II. I spoke to my brother about pickin out some decent hedge poles. He doesn't think that'll be hard since he's cut and saved quite a few. If I can find 3 good ones I will be back to diggin post holes soon.

Stringman

« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2017, 10:23:04 pm »
Nothing he had cut would work for me, so we picked 3 likely candidates. The shorter log should work nicely as a mount for my Cody stave vise I'm hoping to get ahold of.

There's actually some beautiful rings on them logs. Kinda a shame to use them to hold up a pole barn.

>:D

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2017, 10:29:52 pm »
I see staves!
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2017, 08:48:45 pm »
Those are bows  not poles
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Stringman

« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2017, 09:58:17 am »
You guys are far too single-sighted. Just think of all the good mojo with having my bow barn built out of high quality bow wood.