Author Topic: What do you do with all your bows?  (Read 5977 times)

Offline jeffp51

What do you do with all your bows?
« on: May 16, 2017, 12:54:32 am »
I am starting to get a few and my wife asked me recently how many I needed.  So my question is:  How many bows does a guy need?  Do you find yourself shooting mainly one bow, or do you switch off often?  If you are prolific in bowery, what do you do with them all?  sell? Break?  give away? Hoard for the zombie apocalypse? Do you display them or hide them from your significant other so she (he) doesn't know how many you have?  I have heard some mention "this year's hunting bow" what do you do with last year's hunting bow?

These are the questions that keep me up at night.

Offline sleek

Re: What do you do with all your bows?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 03:52:58 am »
How many does a guy need? All of them. 
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 06:30:59 am »
It's a valid question. I think of each as part of a collection. People who collect stamps and coins are lucky cause they can fit them all in a binder.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline jaxenro

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 06:50:57 am »
I was thinking of giving some away to people here as soon as I turn out any worth giving away

Offline JEB

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 07:00:32 am »
I have a bunch. My dad owned a Bear Archery shop back in the 60's and I have some left overs plus many that I have picked up over the years. I helped open archery ranges in Iraq and Afganistan on  military bases for time until we were stopped and then I went to helping with an Old warrior Camp where our disabled American Hero's went for weekend stays  and we used archery for rehab. That camp closed up due to health reason with the owners.  I have a few bows that with be heading to disabled veterans in time.

I have a few favorites that I use during the hunting season.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 07:09:12 am »
My wife knows better than to ask

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 07:24:38 am »
So far I've only kept 3 for myself but I'm still making more. Usually I start out making them with a particular person in mind. I have a unwritten list that I've got I quite a few checked off of but it keeps getting names added to it to. The three I kept are my first bow, last years hunting bow (my first hunting bow of any kind and first primitive kill bow), and this years hunting bow (should be far superior to last years). I shoot all the bows I make hundreds of times even the lefties. I shoot my hunting bow the most though. Usually the rest I shoot at close range, my hunter I like to practice all different ranges and shooting angles with and I don't want the other bows to mess with that muscle memory. It seems at close range they shoot very similar. I do have one that I donated and plan to make a costom bow to trade with the person who won it. I still have a strong attachment to that one and it really fit me good. It's also just good for my soul to fling a few arrows though it, not to mention it is a beautiful bow with great character. My wife and family love them all. Jeb I can't think of a better place for any unclaimed bows, I'm going to add them to my unwritten list.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 08:11:48 am »
I only have around 35 hanging up. Most are gifts from friends. I have about 8 or 10 of my own making still around. Sold a handful, gave away a bunch, traded a bunch for other items I wanted. When I first started building I liked having a pile of bows around me, now they are just in the way and if they are of my own creation and don't get used, they get gone. I'll build more some day.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JEB

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 08:42:08 am »
Pearl, I spent a bunch of money trying to win that  bow you made and donated  for  a the drawing  at Elm Hall last year .  My wife really liked it.  She did win a different bow and will be using it at Marshall in a couple of weekends.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 09:02:24 am by JEB »

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 08:54:54 am »
Usually just made favorites get shot a good 6 months in general.Maybe more in some cases through multiple hunting seasons.I know I'm making them too fast to get a deer with everyone....lol.I've got a rack that holds around 25.I've filled that more then a few times for sure.I move a lot of mine to a bow shop owner who sells them in Des Moines.I shoot pretty regular with some fellas at 3D shoots and league at a range.They make their own bows too.I've gifted many bows also at events and friends or future friends.
One thing that can slow down the accumulation is to go to making more difficult designs.Horn bows in general for me and all the things like glue and sinew self done.Although I love shooting a nice self bow.Making all of the other things like quivers and sets of self arrows and all the other accutrements too.Tan your own hides.Quite a list I guess once I think about it.
The accumulation of forms and tools all are outside in a shed.It takes room that's for sure.This all from the spring of 2009.The fellas I shoot with have been making bows for 40 years they say and still are making them every year.I've slowed down to maybe 5 or 6 bows a year now.I don't know I don't worry about counting.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 09:38:59 am by Beadman »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 09:06:08 am »
Pearl, I spent a bunch of money trying to win that  bow you made and donated  for  a the drawing  at Elm Hall last year .  My wife really liked it.  She did win a different bow and will be using it at Marshall in a couple of weekends.

We all enjoyed very much watching folks get excited to win our bows. It was VERY rewarding for all of us who built bows to watch that happen during the drawing. Makes it a real easy decision to do it again this year.

Jon I have a "late model" hackberry flat bow that Jake shot when he was younger, 5 years ago. Its well shot in and sturdy. It draws 43 @ 27. If Chris can yank it, she can have it. It does say "Jake" on the riser :) But we can find a way to scratch that off.

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 11:16:26 am »
I have bunches of bows, some gifted to me, some trades and a few of my own making. I either give bows away or trade them but only ones of my own making. The gifted and traded ones will remain where they hang. I guess when my time on earth is up I, or my wife will donate all my archery stuff to someone, maybe the raffle table at the Classic.   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 11:28:12 am »
Yaint getting Thumper back, Brennan, forget about it :)

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2017, 11:37:36 am »
Most hobbies run the risk of having to many things. Bows, needlepoint, paintings, birdhouses, flared out 1970's Datsun 510's. I've made about 40 bows, 25 or so are hanging on the wall.The idea of selling them scares me a bit (liability crap) and I'm not clear on whether giving them away clears me of that. I'll probably just stack them in the crawl space(heated) and let my kids deal with them.

Offline JEB

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2017, 11:41:06 am »
Chris, I really appreciate the offer but I don't think she can draw it.  She is right at 33#'s max. At least that is the poundage that she shoots well.