Author Topic: What do you do with all your bows?  (Read 5978 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: What do you do with all your bows?
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2017, 11:42:36 am »
I wouldn't think of it Pearlie!  ;) I probably couldn't shoot it anymore anyway.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2017, 11:46:39 am »
That brings up another problem with giving away bows. It seems that everyone that would want a freebee seems to want it in the 35# range. That means to give away a bow I would have to scrape off 10# and then refinish

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2017, 11:59:01 am »
Personally I'd rather have someone who wants a primitive bow to come on the yard and we'll build one together.Everyone wants to go the fast route it seems.Throw some money at it and learn nothing.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2017, 11:59:59 am »
If they want it they will take it as offered. I think if they are serious they would practice enough to build up the muscles to shoot a heavier bow. I make all my bows for myself. That used to be 56#@26". I found out at the Classic this year that it will start being about 50#@26". I guess I could shoot more and get my muscles built back up but the heavier weight really isn't necessary.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2017, 12:08:51 pm »
Chris, I really appreciate the offer but I don't think she can draw it.  She is right at 33#'s max. At least that is the poundage that she shoots well.

What draw length is she pulling? Ill knock some pounds off it, only takes a few minutes.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JEB

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2017, 12:57:54 pm »
26" draw.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2017, 01:01:56 pm »
Are you coming to Marshall? I can have it there for her/you. Or, we can wait until Elm Hall.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2017, 01:11:33 pm »
Personally I'd rather have someone who wants a primitive bow to come on the yard and we'll build one together.Everyone wants to go the fast route it seems.Throw some money at it and learn nothing.
I don't know how many times people came over excited to see my bows wishing they had one. I tell them I'll help them build their own but they so far haven't wanted to do that. Most of the bows I've made people I've shoot more than they did. It makes me very happy when they actually do give their bow a good workout. I enjoy watching the bow bend, everyone else watches where the arrow goes.
Bjrogg
PS Pearl if you get to many of those dang old bows in your way I might be able to help you out.lol, but I do know what you saying. Fortunately I've got a few spots left before I run out of room.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2017, 11:41:56 pm »
and how do you store or display all these great creations?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2017, 11:52:02 pm »
I have most of my bow collection hanging vertically from pegs in the utility room but also a few, also hanging from pegs in our sun room/work area and my everyday shooters hanging with my arrows on the other side of my work bench. Big work shop and staves are in the basement.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2017, 08:08:38 am »
I drove a bunch of framing nails in my basement floor joists to hang bows from and I have a few simple two-peg racks that hold the rest.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2017, 08:38:34 am »
I have different types of bow rack all over the cabin and display them there. I probably have 40 or so, maybe more, not sure but many were gifted to me and several of my own I keep for some special reason. I try and give them all at least a few shots from time to time, they look so sad and lonely just hanging when they were made to shoot. ;) :) I mostly build them now to give away and try to build at least 1 or 2 each years to start off with during hunting season. I had much rather help and show someone how to buil their own than give them one but everybody ant cut out for that. :) It take   special people to build wood bows and stay with it over time.  ;) Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2017, 09:05:47 am »
I have 9 bows in my house that I built, my late wife's bow, 3 that I shoot and a few more that I let company shoot if they want to try archery. I have given some away to folk that found out archery isn't their thing and they gave them back over time.

Of the 154 that I have made that I know of, I probably sold 50 to 75 and gave the rest away. Liability concerns shut down my selling and most of my giving away.

I have always wanted to share the craft and teach students if they show an interest. I won't take on a student that doesn't have a basis in traditional archery or has compounds in the house because I know they won't stick to it.

Like Pappy said; students that take the ball and run with it are few and far between, most of mine never finish a bow. Only one of around 12 or so students I have run through my shop has been bitten by the bug just like I was years ago.

Offline JEB

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2017, 09:20:35 am »
For those that have been as blessed I have in the world of archery jump into the "pay it forward" world.  I have given a bunch of archery gear and bows  away and have received some things from folks not so much for me but for my family. Not to go into details but Mullet and Pearl Drums have been extremely generous with me and my family.

I was born into archery as my dad owned a store back in the 50's and 60's and all us kids did is shoot, almost everyday and every weekend we hit a tournament somewhere.  When dad died I was left with a lot of new/old stock archery gear some of which you can no longer get.  I gave most of it away to folks that needed it.

Last fall I bought 5 Red Bears with thoughts of giving them away at our Michigan Traditional Bow Hunter shoot this June. But in speaking with the young mother at the store where I doing my mailings it was learned that her 4 year old son had a stroke when he was born.  I picked her brain a bit and learned that he is getting along pretty well with some limitations.  I told her I would like to give him a bow and some arrows if her husband worked with him learning to shoot the bow.  I told her this would be a good re-hab for her son.  Yesterday I gave her the bow, some arrows and a target to shoot at.  I left the store with a "selfish" feel good about helping someone I have never met.

I wrote this, not for an atta boy but as a suggestion for others that have a lot of archery items or run across things at yard sales to pick things up, fix them up and pass them on to a stranger.

"What do you do with all your bows" =  I "Pay it forward" 

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2017, 11:48:18 am »
Jeb I have only briefly meet you, we have had a quite a few PM's. I know you speak the truth and I know your not saying this for a ata boy. I pray the lord blesses you and your wife. I think about you often.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise