Author Topic: Friction Fire  (Read 7573 times)

Offline DC

Re: Friction Fire
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2017, 11:14:45 am »
We were out camping and decided to start a fire with a cord drill. We used wood we found on site but used paracord. After two days with three guys trying we gave up. I took the wood pices home and chucked the spindle in my drill press. After and hour or so of lots of smoke and two holes drilled through the board I decided that the wood must just be too damp with our RH. Granted it was our first try but everything was according to the drawing and videos I've seen. I would have thought the drill press would have done it.

Offline willie

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2017, 12:13:23 pm »
It's damp like that where I came from, and there's probably a reason the old timers carried what was called a tinder box. having good tinder is often harder than getting a spark or hot spot to ignite it.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2017, 11:38:19 am »
clematis vitalba base and bramble (rubus fruticosa) spindle. First try with this materials
clematis collected a week ago and left to sun.
dead bramble already dry picked from the shrub today
very fast and easy coal with handdrill.
Definitly a good combination also because both plants are very abundant were I live

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2017, 01:29:31 pm »
These two are everywhere indeed. I'll give them a try!
Don't shoot!

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2017, 11:07:32 am »
I haven't messed with a hand drill since last summer, Decided today to give it a whirl and see how out of shape I gotten, Had a pc of Mullein  that had been drying since last winter, Found a pc of white pine board and started drilling , got smoke in awhile and stopped leaving my spindle in the board, caught my breath and on round 2 got a beautiful big coal almost immediately, Not bad for a 69 yr old young guy. Bob

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2017, 10:44:07 am »
I dont think mullen is very common nearby but it could be me not paying enough attention
Will try to find some. I'd also like to try elder

I'd also like to know if you use something to make the spindle more sticky
Usually they say to use resin or simply spit on it.
Wax is very good but unlikely to find in nature
any other sustance?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 10:48:42 am by GlisGlis »

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2017, 01:48:53 pm »
Glis, funny you should mention using something sticky, I always had trouble with my hand drills seeming to not have enough down pressure, I do use pinepitch on my spindles and it definitely helped me to get more down pressure, ;D it will also increase your chances of blister until your hands get toughen up :( I just cut a limb of one of my spruce trees and collect the sap, sticky enough. Glis what part of the country are ya from, Mullein is fairly common at least in a Pa. Horseweed is my other favorite drill. Bob
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 01:53:30 pm by Outbackbob48 »

Offline Hummingbird Point

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2017, 09:27:19 am »

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2017, 11:04:20 am »
very nice video. like the fact is all primitive

Glis what part of the country are ya from, Mullein is fairly common at least in a Pa. Horseweed is my other favorite drill. Bob
north of Italy.
I didnt know mullen. now i've seen pictures and I think I've seen it before in nature but not so common. will try to find some

As far as using something on the spindle I'm trying not to use anything but i'd really like to know possible alternatives to pinepitch.
maybe some berry juice, blood or something  ;D

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2017, 11:36:31 pm »
If memory serves me correctly, Mullen is the very mature form of what we called "skunk cabbage" in the greens stage. Supposed to be good boiled with any pork and enough salt.   stalks can be quite tough.  Not good for Horses apparently.  Good dry tinder in the drill hole to catch the heat of the drill?
Have not tried a fire bow.  Being only 26(3rd time), I just want to get the fire going as quickly as possible!  I carry a small bottle of lamp oil for survival type situations, and lots of matches.  Whatever method you prefer, practice, practice, practice, and eat only on the days you practice. >:D
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2017, 07:41:10 pm »
Hawkdancer, Mullein and Skunkcabbage are 2 completely different plants, No tinder in the hole, drill and board make there own fine dust which gets hot enough to make a coal. Mullein is usually used for medicinal purposes never heard of anyone eating it. Bob