Author Topic: Limb length Turkish bows  (Read 17854 times)

Offline Tom Dulaney

Limb length Turkish bows
« on: May 23, 2017, 06:51:53 am »
Some Turkish bows look like they have really, really short limbs.
Do you think it could be possible to make a pseudo-Turkish bow out of a 76cm (30 inches) stave?
I only have Juniper, no bamboo.

I understand that bows become more efficient as the limbs get shorter relative to the weight and length of the siyahs, but I want to know the limits.

And I just want to make it clear: I know I can't really make a true Turkish bow, as I don't know much about them.
I am only asking you guys because you make the shortest bows.
I also do not intend to make a bow with extreme reflex like a Turkish bow.

I just want to turn a really short stave in to a moderately reflexed bow, by adding siyahs and sinew, and possibly horn.
This thread's title was basically an attention grabber.

Thanks!
TD
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 07:01:01 am by Tom Dulaney »

Offline Parnell

Re: Limb length Turkish bows
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 08:50:29 am »
You need to read the Karpowicz book.  There is a tremendous amount of information involved.  So much work goes into it, your wood core matters greatly and from what I understand the wood must be ideal. 
1’—>1’

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 09:06:27 am »
Magyar bows have limbs only about 12inches long. Their dimensions seem to be 12" each for limbs and handle with 10" sijahs.
Two 12" limbs and a 6" handle would probably be ok.

This book: http://www.academia.edu/11151943/The_Hungarian_Bow_of_9-11th_centuries_-_recommendation_for_bow_constructions_2011_
I found invaluable as it gives a full list of measures.

Having said that, the karpowicz book is essential reading, though I do find it confusing at times.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 09:13:29 am by stuckinthemud »

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 09:27:23 am »
Also, you really need to check out Kamil's work here :http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,40574.105.html

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 09:31:10 am »
stuckinthemud....I'm sure you've read what Adam says about density and shearing factors for a core?Without as much reflex I suppose it could work ok.
Anybody understand about the statement in Adams book about the exponential  decrease of the core he mentions?I've made a lot of self bows and quite a few sinewed bows with extreme reflex but still wondering about that statement.Guess I just gotta dive in a see what happens???
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 09:53:44 am »
Yes, but if he's only going for moderate draw length then it might work, and the experiment could be fun. Equally, I would expect performance to be not wonderful, especially with long heavy sijahs denting performance but that doesn't mean he won't get a bow out of it. I put forward the Magyar rather than the Turkish as the limbs are the right length and nice and wide, wider than Turkish types so better chance of success as he will need wide thin limbs for this, I would think.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 10:16:18 am by stuckinthemud »

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 10:42:06 am »
Yes I agree,and thanks for the link.Very interesting.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Tom Dulaney

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 10:50:45 am »
Yes, but if he's only going for moderate draw length then it might work, and the experiment could be fun. Equally, I would expect performance to be not wonderful, especially with long heavy sijahs denting performance but that doesn't mean he won't get a bow out of it. I put forward the Magyar rather than the Turkish as the limbs are the right length and nice and wide, wider than Turkish types so better chance of success as he will need wide thin limbs for this, I would think.

Thank you for you contributions, you've been very helpful. I have wide flat limbs with good growth rings so I will try my best to emulate the Magyar bows, I love short bows.

Offline Tom Dulaney

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 10:57:21 am »
You need to read the Karpowicz book.  There is a tremendous amount of information involved.  So much work goes into it, your wood core matters greatly and from what I understand the wood must be ideal.

Thanks and I believe I have the ideal wood here. The growth rings do not arc sharply, the wood is knotless, naturally flat back so I have a rectangular cross section, etc. Wood was taken from large diameter juniper limb, which was soaking fresh green wood not at all dry or brittle.  Since the limbs are so short I may even go all out and make some horn bellies (i have always been intimidated by the idea of making a long horn belly, for my first horn bow).

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 11:02:42 am »
Good luck and keep us posted, I'd love to see how it all works out.

Offline PatM

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 02:43:29 pm »
 mikekeswick on here made a Turkish bow about 24" long. There's no real limits to bow length for all intents and purposes.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 03:48:47 pm »
Interesting project keep us posted & thanks stuckinthemud for the link on the magyar really like that bow !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2017, 04:28:02 pm »
Yes Mike's little bow drew 14" if I recall.24" long overall.Limbs of rattan????Barely 1" wide limbs.Drew 40#'s then.Rests with 5.5" reflex.
BowEd
Ed

Offline PatM

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2017, 06:41:59 pm »
I think it was actually material correct.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2017, 07:06:20 pm »
Yes I should of explained.It was a sinewed horn bellied rattan core bow.
BowEd
Ed