Author Topic: Concern for our future  (Read 28811 times)

Offline Buffalogobbler

Re: Concern for our future
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2017, 08:14:09 am »
I'm with you Twisted!
I don't know how new or exciting my articles are but,I am going to continue to write for and subscribe to PA magazine with the hope that it will help them put their problems behind them.
Magazines are finding it harder every day to survive in the internet age, I support the new format and new content, hopefully it will bring in more readers and hopefully current readers will be entertained and maybe learn something new, learning something new cant' be a bad thing, can it?

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2017, 09:36:48 am »
I agree with you, Kevin. I've submitted a few articles and lots of time as an Administrator and Moderator here on the forum, not for the financial reward or the ego reward but because I want to see Primitive Archer Magazine succeed even beyond it's already 25 year run.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Stringman

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2017, 11:51:01 am »
Clearly the voluntary input that has gone into this magazine/forum would be hard to calculate. Pat's contribution as well as many others has been immense and largely unnoticed. He mentioned two categories, but I'm sure there are dozens of other categories that one could identify where folks have stepped up for the good of the cause to see the magazine succeed and this community to thrive! We all have benefited from Primitive Archer's generosity to host this community blog so it stands to reason that we should chip in, however we can, to see it last.

However, we have turned away from my original intent (purposely I suppose) to ignore the real underlying concern. Eddie holds a black list that names scores of "No Deal" customers. Why do we have such a list if we are all so generous minded that we are fine with giving our time and resources freely? Is it just that we are only generous with certain folks and those that don't make the cut are ostracized? Or is our largesse best premeditated? "Here, you may have this - please don't give me anything in return." If such is true, what happens when stipulations are made? "This for that" is as common on this site as yellow dust and I challenge any of you to go 3 deals without "that" and watch your open handedness not take a hit. These contract deals are what runs our trade blanket and that same expectation of fair play is what the free world was founded on.

I may not be as philanthropic as some on here, but I do try to be always generous minded. But when a deal has been made there is a reasonable expectation that it will be fulfilled.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2017, 06:52:14 pm »
As kevin and Pat mentioned I believe in giving of my time and talents for the longevity of this forum and Primitive Archer Magazine. On September 21, 2011, I was made an administrator on the forum when I took over the BOM contest.

On June 30, 2017 when I was no longer "giving of my time and talents" I was stripped of administrator status. Not even moderator. There are moderators that have not been active for years and they are still moderators.

Is that what gratitude looks like after the many years of service that I gave? Hours and hours of my own time spent away from my family. In all those years not once did I receive any type of correspondence from the president of the forum and the magazine. I gave happily and freely until it was apparent that there was a gross lack of gratitude and appreciation.

I wrote an article that was published in the December issue. My many emails about when I would be paid for the article went unanswered. No response. Primitive Archer magazine and I had a contractual agreement (that they created) on the pay and timeline of being paid. On July 5, I finally received a check in the mail after over seven months of the article being published. I only received the check in the mail after I repeated emailed all the folks in charge of this forum and the magazine. Has Scott Stanberry and others been paid for their articles?

I shouldn't have had to ask to be paid. I shouldn't have asked multiple times for Primitive Archer Magazine to keep the contract we both willingly entered.

I did not write nor submit my article to Primitive Archer magazine for a financial reward or an ego reward. I submitted the article because I wrote it. I love writing.

I entered kindergarten in the US fresh from Mexico and I learned English the baptist way. Full submersion. It was sink or swim and I chose to swim. It's my story and my testimony to others. If I can learn English and write for a magazine then anyone can.

In all the years that I did BOM I received a handful of personal messages expressing gratitude. Therefore, I was asked many times why I did BOM. My answer?

I don't make or build anything. It's how I contribute and serve the bowyers that enter. I love writing and it comes easy to me. Most importantly it makes my dying father proud every month when the magazine comes in the mail and I read and translate the articles to him.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2017, 05:10:32 pm »
As kevin and Pat mentioned I believe in giving of my time and talents for the longevity of this forum and Primitive Archer Magazine. On September 21, 2011, I was made an administrator on the forum when I took over the BOM contest.

On June 30, 2017 when I was no longer "giving of my time and talents" I was stripped of administrator status. Not even moderator. There are moderators that have not been active for years and they are still moderators.

Is that what gratitude looks like after the many years of service that I gave? Hours and hours of my own time spent away from my family. In all those years not once did I receive any type of correspondence from the president of the forum and the magazine. I gave happily and freely until it was apparent that there was a gross lack of gratitude and appreciation.

I wrote an article that was published in the December issue. My many emails about when I would be paid for the article went unanswered. No response. Primitive Archer magazine and I had a contractual agreement (that they created) on the pay and timeline of being paid. On July 5, I finally received a check in the mail after over seven months of the article being published. I only received the check in the mail after I repeated emailed all the folks in charge of this forum and the magazine. Has Scott Stanberry and others been paid for their articles?

I shouldn't have had to ask to be paid. I shouldn't have asked multiple times for Primitive Archer Magazine to keep the contract we both willingly entered.

I did not write nor submit my article to Primitive Archer magazine for a financial reward or an ego reward. I submitted the article because I wrote it. I love writing.

I entered kindergarten in the US fresh from Mexico and I learned English the baptist way. Full submersion. It was sink or swim and I chose to swim. It's my story and my testimony to others. If I can learn English and write for a magazine then anyone can.

In all the years that I did BOM I received a handful of personal messages expressing gratitude. Therefore, I was asked many times why I did BOM. My answer?

I don't make or build anything. It's how I contribute and serve the bowyers that enter. I love writing and it comes easy to me. Most importantly it makes my dying father proud every month when the magazine comes in the mail and I read and translate the articles to him.

Cipriano

Actually Cipriano the mods that were no longer doing anything for the board had their status stripped a long time ago, some of them by their own suggestion.  Others had not logged in for a loooong time so it was time to remove them
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Calendargirl

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2017, 05:17:16 pm »
Every bow of the month moderator went back to member when they turned over the duties to someone else if i remember correctly.
You shouldn't grow a wishbone where your backbone should be.

Offline criveraville

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2017, 11:50:50 pm »

Actually Cipriano the mods that were no longer doing anything for the board had their status stripped a long time ago, some of them by their own suggestion.  Others had not logged in for a loooong time so it was time to remove them
[/quote]

Rules is rules and traditions is traditions 👍🏾
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline criveraville

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2017, 11:51:24 pm »
Every bow of the month moderator went back to member when they turned over the duties to someone else if i remember correctly.

Rules is rules and traditions is traditions 👍🏾

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2017, 03:04:43 pm »
Considering the time and effort that goes into multiple pages of printed material that is followed religiously by readers, I am dismayed to learn that the Bow of the Month editor is not a paid position. It is a feature that is in every issue.  In fact, in many ways it embodies the initial spirit of the magazine, namely that it is a reader driven medium. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.