Author Topic: Show me your quiver  (Read 10242 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Show me your quiver
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2017, 01:13:26 pm »
Patrick, I think some of these fur on quivers are rawhide. Rawhide is just that, raw hide...just dried. Of course tanned would be better but rawhide can be coated to help preserve problems however if it does get wet that can cause problems.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2017, 01:45:54 pm »
Patrick like said tanned will be much more trouble free. If rawhide like some of mine they must have all grease and fat completely removed. They also need to stay dry. If they get wet when they dry back out they will shrink and shrivel up. Bugs are also a problem although I have kept rawhide fur or "air dried" for 3 years and never had a problem. I do scrap them very clean though and my climate may be better suited to it than yours. Tanning really isn't that complicated. The hard part is getting hides to the point I have them for air dried. Some hides like beaver, cattle and thicker hides are a lot more work to tan unless you have a thinning machine which I don't. Then it just a lot of scrapping and sanding to thin the hide to soften it.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2017, 02:07:53 pm »
Clint...I've gotten along with these side cat quivers for quite some time now.Hunting or target shooting.Quick easy access and very quiet as a fur made one.Beef rawhide too.Completely infiltrated with melted bees wax that will make it into a canteen in a rain storm.

BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2017, 03:16:30 pm »
Thanks guy's,  I want to tan them but I just don't have the time.  I did however find a good easy process to tan that Fox hide I got from you BJ!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2017, 08:11:06 am »
Seems like I got way more quivers then I use consistently.Ridiculous really.The fancier ones are nice and I call them struttin quivers really at shoots etc. but for all around brush beating roving and hunting don't care if they get dirty or messed up the rawhide ones suit me.
Brain tan beaded quiver & split dogwood/ash strip quiver

rawhide quivers/some I had to make for others out of some free beef hide.

BowEd
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2017, 12:53:20 pm »
Very nice quivers Ed. I may have to try the bee's wax sometimes.
Patrick and I made a trade after the trade blanket if I remember right. I got this quiver from him. I kinda like the style but the size is a little large to suit me. I think I'm going to modify it. I have a plan in mind. You might see this one again.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Tower

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2017, 09:08:00 pm »
Hers my lil quiver. It's hung on to me through thick & thin for almost 10 years.  I just can't retire her yet .. Tower
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2017, 10:23:06 pm »
Thanks for all the pictures guys.  You have given me some good ideas.  I'm really liking this style that Beadman posted.  I need to figure out what to use for the strap.

rawhide quivers/some I had to make for others out of some free beef hide.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2017, 10:53:25 pm »
I made a side draw back quiver with a lid and plan to put a rain flap on just in case (R.  Out of cowhide.  It still is in the prototype stage but works well for me.  Haven't hunted with it yet, but it should allow an arrow to be drawn with little movement to be detected.  Plan to put some fleece around the top for silencing, and stuffed the bottom with closed foam and plastic bags to stop point punch.  I cut the strap out of a lighter shade and weight of leather.  Will get some pics and post soon.  Very similar to Ed's, but very plain. 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2017, 10:58:53 pm »
I took a leather strap Clint and sewed trade wool cloth to it on one side.That side goes against me.Does'nt get sticky when wet with sweat against you then and the leather does'nt stretch any either.Otherwise a vegetable tan leather leather strap a good 1.25" wide works well too.That stuff does'nt stretch very quick.Previous description using trade wool backing would be for using deer leather that might stretch some when wet.But now I've always fancied a canvas strap too.That stuff does'nt stretch either.
BowEd
Ed

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2017, 09:54:10 am »
I picked up a couple of braided macrame belts at the goodwill that are made out of jute. They make a good strap for quivers.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2017, 08:32:43 pm »
What would be a good length to make that side stalker quiver? 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2017, 10:17:51 pm »
For me, either below the fletching or beyond the fletching all together. I prefer the fletchig sticking out back and cover the fletch end with a fleece bag to protect from weather or heavy brush.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2017, 10:37:46 pm »
Clint . . . this may be useful to ya.

http://www.trad rag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=604
Get rid of [space] between "d" and "r".
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2017, 08:10:51 pm »
What would be a good length to make that side stalker quiver?
That's a matter of preference and self comfort with mobility the main concern.How's that for some crazy wording.....lol.Strap on my rawhide quiver is 51" long finished.It hangs by my side though which makes a difference then your back quivers which have shorter straps.Your a bit wider fella then me so you make it the way it suits ya.
BowEd
Ed