Author Topic: Bow making video  (Read 7443 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Bow making video
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2017, 08:14:59 am »
Sounds good Steve, just don't upload it to photobucket  ;D
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Badger

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2017, 08:49:11 am »
  Mark, I let my son handle all that. I am not very computer literate.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2017, 09:37:06 am »
Sounds great, Steve. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2017, 10:19:27 am »
30 min is good )W(

Offline DC

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2017, 10:40:43 am »
30 min and more if 30 doesn't cover it :D. Just don't try to stretch it out by talking when it ain't needed. ;D ;D

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2017, 10:45:09 am »
I dont think your as rusty as you think there Steve you sure helped me understand working limb length on my last bow ! Good luck with the vid !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline RandyN

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2017, 11:09:32 am »
Count me in. I would rather see it than read about it. Good luck with the videos and thank you for even considering making it.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2017, 07:37:06 pm »
Stick Bender inspired me to add one more thing. You have helped me a ton in more ways than one. Every time you comment on a topic I copy it and paste it to a Word document just so I can refer to it later (don't worry, it's just for my own reference, I'd never use it any other way without your permission). My point is, you have incredible insight into this craft (perhaps even more than you know) and any way you can pass it on would be very valuable indeed.  :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Will H

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2017, 08:45:05 pm »
You need to do this Steve. I think a lot of us would really benefit from it. I tend to agree with your son on breaking it up into smaller segments. It would probably help get it across to the younger generations. Super looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with!
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline steve b.

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2017, 09:03:59 pm »
I would take whatever you're willing to put out, including a full-on DVD which I'd pay whatever for.

Offline Badger

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2017, 09:13:01 pm »
I would take whatever you're willing to put out, including a full-on DVD which I'd pay whatever for.

I wouldn't even consider charging for something like this. I have gotten far more out of this community than I could ever hope to give back.

Offline xin

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2017, 09:28:54 pm »
I would love to see a bow making video by someone with your skills.  The twenty to thirty sounds better to me than 5 minutes.  I have long been an admirer of your bows and knowledge in making them.  Can't wait.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2017, 09:32:15 pm »
I would buy a dvd hard copy too. You tube is great but it is a bit ephemeral, no guarantee I will be able to look at years down the track.

There are plenty of books and dvd's about bowmaking, nonetheless I appreciate the finer details that a different perspective brings. I still think their are plenty of bowyers from the Renaissance of modern bowyers that should put their perspective in print or on hard copy. Sure Bowyers Bibles are great, but there  is still more to learn. Imagine if the late, great Dean Torges, didn't publish his book and dvd's?
English bowyer Chris Boyton is another bowyer whom I would like to see a book on. He was taught bowmaking by the last indentured bowyer, Richard Galloway(apprentice  to master guild system)He published some articles in The Glade magazine
a decade or more ago. It was really exciting to see his approach, some of the designs, approach to reflex, and wood selection had not been covered anywhere else. It would be good to see a new book from him too.

I think Marc St Louis could write a fine book as well. A complilation of his work from PA website and from the print magazine. There's a thought for you somewhere down the track Marc?

Steve(Badger) must be one of the most prolific bowyers of all time(alongside Tim Baker). The information he has gleaned from his labours would be a excellent subject for a dvd, and a boon for bowyers of the present and the future.

Badger you could start do a Kickstarter campaign for  fan funding, to help you cover the costs of production, maybe compensate you a little for your hardwork and intellectual property?

Offline bubby

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2017, 10:53:15 pm »
I say go for it😉
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Badger

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2017, 11:15:45 am »
   I am going to start the first one right away. I thought I would go over what I will be doing here and am open for suggestions. I intentionally selected a piece of wood and a design that will challenge me to put my own theories to work.

The wood will be Massaranduba ( Bullet wood) backed with bamboo. I chose the bullet wood because it is very dense but not particularly stiff. Overall it behaves very well and is not prone to chrysaling but will take set readily if overstressed. It is very hard to manage the mass of the bow with this wood and they often tend to come in heavy, if they are made too narrow they will take excessive set.

The design I chose is 1 1/8 wide, 66" long, 10" stiff handle and fades and about 4" glued in reflex. The goal is 50#@28" but I am open to lowering the weight as necessary depending on how the wood responds.  I would normally start this bow off at 1 1/2" wide knowing the wood as I do and my preference for short working limb areas. I figure with this extra narrow design it will start exhibiting challenges that I will have to deal with early on and the film will be how I use no set tillering and mass to address the problems.

Here are the steps I will be taking and not really sure how many of them I should video.

I lay out the bow, glue on a handle and cut out the blank on the band saw                                                                                     }
   I flatten a strip of bamboo and cut it to match the blank                                                                                                                }  I would rather ship these stage
   I use a simple form for the glue up with tightbond and inner tube strips.                                                                                         }
   I take the bow out of the form and clean it up on my belt sander and bring it very close to floor tiller, checking the mass at this stage.}

Tillering starts}     This where I would like to start filming, If anyone was interested in the above stages I could cover them briefly

Open to suggestions.