Author Topic: "0" knowledge of mushrooms, almost  (Read 4549 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

"0" knowledge of mushrooms, almost
« on: July 16, 2017, 12:40:39 pm »
I had never seen these in my woods before this extra wet year, pretty sure they are chanterelles. They have gotten a little old since I first noticed them.

What say you, mushroom experts?

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: "0" knowledge of mushrooms, almost
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 03:25:10 pm »
As near as I can tell it is called a "smooth chanterelle".

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/cantharellus_lateritius.html

Offline willie

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 04:59:15 pm »
I hesitate to offer an opinion as, I think we are about 5000 miles apart. good find if it is a chanterelle.
some of the fun in mushroom hunting is the variety found, I often find "new" varieties when weather patterns change from year to year.
Have you performed a spore print? it's easy and offers additional info for an ID.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 07:49:43 pm »
I would say chanterelle as well. It's a highly desirable and delicious edible wild mushroom. Those are my favorites to pair with scrambled eggs or in omelets. It likes to grow under oaks especially and usually returns to the same area from year to year when late summer hits. If you look where you found it and notice a lot of white "mold" in the leaf litter, that's the mycelium (vegetative mushroom growth) . When the conditions are right (usually a good rainfall) the mushrooms sprout. The mushroom is basically the fruit/seeds of the mycelium.

The one in your pic is past it's prime. Mushrooms only last a day or two before they get infested with fungus gnat larvae. If you look at the cut stem and see lots of holes or a complete void, the larvae have taken over. All mushrooms(even store bought) have a couple larvae in them. A quick soak in salt water will kill them and usually it flushes them out of the mushroom as well.

If you're gonna  get into mushroom hunting, I'll recommend the audubon's field guide to north american mushrooms. I would also suggest sticking to the mushrooms that are easy to identify with no dangerous look-a-likes for the first couple years. The list of beginner mushrooms is easy to find with some searching.

The first and best lesson I learned about eating wild mushrooms is that "even experts die". When in doubt, throw it out. 
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Zuma

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 08:48:47 pm »
X2 but not from an expert. A mushroom lover but seldom an eater.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline willie

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 08:56:59 pm »
When in doubt, throw it out.
a good word to the wise. I have seen  psilocybin hunters consume all sorts of LBM's. Not a recommended practice.

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 07:02:48 am »
Eric,
it is a chantrelle, I have picked and eaten them for more than twenty years.
Chantrelle's have no gills on the underside, they are solid and have ridges that start as one ridge and then fork into two. Chantrelles also smell a bit like apricots.
Yours is past prime.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 07:55:56 am »
I looked at a bunch of the chanterelle identification videos on youtube, my mushrooms met all the criteria for a smooth chanterelle, not one characteristic was found for a toxic jack-o-lantern.

I looked deeper into my woods and found these in abundance under a row of oak trees.

Here is a fresher one;

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 08:18:03 am »
I will rarely identify a mushroom for someone based on a photo, but I'm confident that those are indeed chanterelles.

The most common look alike is Omphalotus illudens, or the Jack O'lantern which is poisonous, but they grow in clusters as a parasite on the root wood of dying trees. The also have true gills underneath. Like willie mentioned, chanterelles have "false"gills that run decurrent down the stem. 
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 09:51:53 am »
Look tasty from here. nice find
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 12:54:27 pm »
Jack-O-Lanterns have an unique tell tale characteristic. They give off a faint glow when in complete darkness, hence the name. They also tend to grow on rotting wood or stumps unlike chanterelles , but not always.

LBM's (little brown mushrooms) just aren't worth the risk. A proper ID is really difficult and a vast majority of them are highly toxic.  If you're looking for the magic kind of "mushies" just follow the sacred cows around and check the pies they leave behind. The chance for any other type of mushroom to be growing there is virtually nil.

Terrance McKenna had an interesting theory about the evolution of man being closely tied to magic mushrooms. I'll try to sum it up in a nutshell.  Basically the climate was changing the jungles of Africa into grass land, and primitive man was forced out of the trees and onto the prairie. He began to hunt and follow the herds of herbivores, which led to the discovery of the hallucinogenic mushrooms they kept finding in the wake of their new prey. It was during this same period that man's brain increased in size, complex language began to emerge, cave paintings began to originate, and major advances in primitive technologies occurred. It's quite humorous to think that we might owe our intellectual superiority to eating a fungus that grows on cow turds. Gives a whole new meaning to sh** for brains if you really stop and think about it.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline willie

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 03:12:36 pm »
It's quite humorous to think that we might owe our intellectual superiority to eating a fungus that grows on cow turds.

Interesting thought DK, I might have to read some Terrance McKenna. 

Offline FilipT

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 09:05:20 am »
Yes he dubbed it Stoned Ape theory. Nice of you to mention it Dakota Kid. McKenna was a true intellectual and I owe a lot of my understandings about the world to him.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 01:04:14 pm »
I noticed another mushroom growing beside my woodpile yesterday, I wondered what kind it was and if it was edible. I took a spore print and did a little research and found it was an old man of the woods mushroom and and it is edible.

Offline willie

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 02:04:24 pm »
Looks like you are well on your way to some good finds, Eric. Compared to the market sold varieties, some of the edibles are very tasty, others have delicate flavors that complement a nice dish. About the only thing that can be said for the store sold kinds is that they keep well. Some of the treasures in my neck of the woods, need to be harvested and consumed the same day.