Author Topic: Tiller Thoughts ? Design & any thing leaver bows !  (Read 13273 times)

Offline ntvbowyer1969

Re: Tiller Thoughts ? Plus final full draw pics ! Plus Chrono numbers !
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2017, 01:44:22 pm »
Looking good so far bud. With a lever bow I like the fades to bend more and  through mid limb. this allows those working limbs to give that bow all the cast it can.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2017, 03:05:41 pm »
Thanks fellas for the good words, Ntvbowyer this bow is not a true Molly design more in common with a parallel limb design with extended levers the front view profile mandated more of a elliptical tiller , Ed thanks for your post a lot of insight in it , after having  a more hot roded version of this  bow fail on me  last year I was to chicken to side tiller & add reflex I was just looking for a tank of a hunting bow but having said that I have a stave getting ready for a more hot roded version as soon as I can get all the honey dews done that I put off  to build this one ,with the techniques you mentioned in your post Ed , Del it's a love hate situation with the long draw it defiantly adds energy but makes it tuffer  at least for me to make shorter handled self bows  !
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 04:01:58 pm by Stick Bender »
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2017, 07:16:08 pm »
Well done . Good speed. I have not built but a couple . So the info from the rest that have is interesting to me. What would be a minimum width on say a fifty pound lever be at lever fade to mid lever to tip. I am talking Osage. Say 8" lever. 69" bow with a 10" handle. I know there is lots of variables but just a ball park.  Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2017, 12:53:19 pm »
If Ritch does'nt mind I'll comment here.So your request Arvin is my command to type....Ha Ha.
Arvin....For a more streamlined looking type look generally an inch wide or a scooch less at the end of the working limb and the beginning of the fade.You'll have to see on yours maybe yours is narrower yet there at that point.That would be around 11"to 12" from the tip with at least a 3" long fade to 9/16" or even less wide at base of lever[8" from tip] to 1/2" or less wide 4" from the tip.Then narrowed to your hearts desire for the string groove.At 69" long you'll still get 20" working limbs each.I just keep narrowing till I feel it's all it can handle.A pic.L-R..Osage/Black locust/Winged elm.All these bows were 64" long with at least 10 to 12 inches non working levers.The black locust came in @ 63" long @ 52#'s @ 28" weighing only 13 ounces overall with a stiff 8" handle.As a reference the measuring tape is 11/16" wide.They are actually 1/2" wide or less a good 6" from the tips and at the most a little thicker then 1/2" thick.The lesser dense wood usually is a little thicker.Every one has very good cast.Also I realize these are not the holy grail of bows but suit me.Many designs can be made to outstanding shooters.

I'd be interested in what your dimensions were from the past on the last foot of your bows of this design.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 09:47:56 pm by Beadman »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2017, 02:46:41 pm »
Thanks Ed for posting that, chime in any time you want , Arvin thanks for the kind words ,on the bow posted I'm at 1 1/32 at the lever fades I plan on Eiffel towering just out of the fade to 5/8 & tapper to 1/2 near the tips & then play the thickness by ear did that on the last one and it worked for me ,glad to see the interest in this type bow, to me it just makes sense it capitalizes on mass placement even on a overbuilt bow like mine you get above average performance but a real plus for these bows is they are completely dead in the hand even with heavy wood like osage & longer limbs very stable bows at release I'm leaving my levers a little heavy as this bow is pin knocked and plan on field stringing with out a stringer  also my fades are more abrupt and happen with in 1 in. For a total of 9 1/2 lever.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2017, 05:23:09 pm »
Thanks Beadman! When I get home I will try one. 13 ounces with a stiff handle! Wow I know that one is fast. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2017, 02:16:13 am »
Hey Ed if you get a chance could you snap a side view shot of your 3 in fade I'm going to try that on the next one comming up I'm going for a 69 in. On this one to ,I would like to get longer leavers  & more narrow width on the working limb plus induce maybe 4 in. reflex to start !

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2017, 09:42:04 am »
Bottom to top winged elm/black locust/osage.Generally speaking the thickness is 7/16" or less a foot from the tip where working limb ends.The levers themselves generally are around 9/16" thick.You can see the osage is about as thick as it is wide.The black locust a little thicker then wide.The winged elm more so yet.They are all narrower then they are wide on the lever parts.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2017, 03:13:18 pm »
Thanks Ed I appreciate it as I'm sure others too like you said after making a few of these you end up with more questions then answers !

Offline Philipp A

« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2017, 04:00:03 pm »
sweet looking bow and impressive speed! I need to try this type of bow as well. I have 30+ staves of HHB to choose from so lots of room for some mistakes and to get it right :)

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2017, 04:07:52 pm »
Thanks Phillip I have to get the tips down to see on speed these are fun bows to build and fun to shoot ,good luck with yours !
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 04:12:46 pm by Stick Bender »

Offline Stick Bender

Re: Tiller Thoughts ? Design & any thing leaver bows !
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2017, 08:09:47 am »
I got the limbs down 1.7 oz there still wide at 0.69 in & 5/8 thick but wanted to shoot the bow to see the fps with lowered mass as soon as it gets a little latter dont want to wake my neiobors ,but my total mass is 23.17 so far part is a little off for cleaning up the handle !

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2017, 08:10:28 am »
Tip

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2017, 08:10:59 am »
Tip

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2017, 08:11:35 am »
Tip