Author Topic: Tiller Thoughts ? Design & any thing leaver bows !  (Read 13147 times)

Offline Stick Bender

Re: Tiller Thoughts ? Design & any thing leaver bows !
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2017, 08:52:04 am »
For truth in reporting Im using Tim Bakers method of leaving the bow strung for at least 1 hour and pulling to full draw 3 times actually I shot a dozen arrows first so on the low 167 fps at 1.7 oz difference actually did tripples at 171 fps but taking the lower number to stay accurate hopping to get the tips down more and a string made but going to end up with a all day mid 170s hunting bow remeasuring the imidate unstring no aditional set botom limb is neutrol the top took 1/16 set !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2017, 08:52:42 am »
Highs

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2017, 08:53:12 am »
Imediate unbrace

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2017, 10:08:14 am »
Now's the time to see if we paid attention to the math teacher in school heh??.....lol.If you did a triple 171 I'd go with that Ritch or 170 maybe.That's the 509 grain arrow off the 47.5# bow too correct?You know actually the weight of that arrow of close to 35 grains over 475 grains should compensate for your overdraw of 1.25"? over 28" for standard fairness.You probably thought that out already.So that should be pretty close.Usually I try to shoot 3 arrows then take the average.Looks like your self bow is holding up fine.Very little what I call soft set that returns quickly after unbracing.
We'll see after a proper string is put on there too. (-P
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2017, 11:33:31 am »
I have it down to 22.19 Oz I had it strung most of the day to simulate hunting conditions my arrows are starting to go out of spine so its hard to get good numbers so had to change to a slightly heavy arrow but averaging excluding the highs I will call 168 fps sanded some for clean up on the limbs I will recheck but think I lost a little draw weight also Im well over the 200 arrow mark so next make a FF string and work some arrows up should get good numbers, its funny how as you get lighter mass & faster speed you can actualy see your arrow spine change for the bow I will end up under 22 oz when done for a slightly over built bow the lighter the tips the sweeter it shoots its a real tack driver at this length !

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2017, 11:34:21 am »
Tips

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2017, 12:03:29 pm »
I got this bow shot in and limbs sanded today ended up mass wise at 21.5 oz which calculates real close  or slightly under Badgers numbers I got the levers a lilltle lite & started to flex so I heat treated them and there now rigid lost some weight to shoot in & sanding Im at 46 1/2 lb @29 1/4 and after strung for 4 hrs and shooting about 30 509 grain arrows before the chrono  my average speed is 172 Fps in real numbers when fresh and first strung it was averaging 176fps but was only interested in actual field numbers that was with 8 strand FF will post some pics after it gets out of the beauty shop another note Im not shooting proper spined arrows & could pic up some additional FPS Im glad I got the chrono it has taught me a lot about making bows & is fun watching the speed go up as you tweake the bow !

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2017, 12:30:57 pm »
very nice performance,, congrats on a great bow,, I am sure the deer gonna love it,,

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2017, 12:39:18 pm »
Thanks Brad as you know its a balacing act when you get to this point but what I realy like about this bow is when the arrow is gone its completly dead in the hand you can shoot it open grip & it just rolls over never made one like that before !

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2017, 06:55:39 pm »
It's good to hear your satisfied and you did an excellent job on it too.Very nice cast on your bow.I'd give it an A+ for a self bow.After shooting these a person seems to get a little clearer view of hand shock.The ease of the draw and release seems to help with accuracy too.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 08:12:19 am by Beadman »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bubby

« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2017, 11:27:29 pm »
I just read this post, nice job on this bow! Experiment with design and find what works best for you, personally after building quite a few lever bows my fave design is shorter, around 62 ttt for 28-29" draw, levers 12" including the 1"top fade. I start 1-1/2-1-5/8 wide at the fade with indiana sage and taper to 1" then to 3/4" end of the 1" long top fade and taper to 1/2" all rough layout. I like to recurve the levers as well. Took me a while to find what i liked, lots of options with lever bows, hope to see more from you,
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline willie

« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2017, 12:40:02 am »
Nice work Ritchie.
what I realy like about this bow is when the arrow is gone its completly dead in the hand you can shoot it open grip & it just rolls over never made one like that before
sweet, what do you attribute that deadness to?

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2017, 08:48:41 am »
Thanks fellas greatly appreciated it ,Bubby I think Im going to try a shorter one on the next go comming up a interesting design note that I found was when the levers started to flex from to much mass removal that the Fps ex potentially (Big words for me)...lol , started to fall off more so then just a slight whipping , Im guessing it had to do with the string angle , when I heat treated the levers I shimmed them out ahead of the lever fade 1/8 but it really made a difference in consitent speed the bow stays positive ahead of the handle even after imediate un stringing , Im impreesed with these bows as far as taking advantage of mass & shooting quality , they can be finiky & a ballacing act to get them right but even at only shooting 300 arrows out of spine I would feel confident I could drop a white tail at 20 yards !

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2017, 08:49:27 am »
Front view

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2017, 08:53:06 am »
Willie just saw your question I think its 2 fold the efficient design & eliptical tiller !