Author Topic: Solar Eclipse  (Read 9312 times)

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Solar Eclipse
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2017, 05:13:56 pm »
Maybe they don't want to be sued by the parents of all the "blinded kids".

You are correct.   The school didn't want to be liable if the kids stared at the sun and burned  their eyes out.
I'm almost expecting to see lawyers commercials on TV starting Tuesday for suing those glasses for watching the eclipse.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline gifford

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2017, 06:06:00 pm »
Two local school districts have backed away from the 'event viewing' since the districts bought the student's eclipse glasses from Amazon and the districts received the Amazon letter saying the glasses may not be safe. So the little miscreants will be in regular school session on Monday.

Watched the news last night and there was a segment on the long lines buying eclipse glasses.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2017, 10:14:05 pm »
I'm here in southern Iowa and from what they say we should be able to see a 95% exposure or whatever they call it.We've got glasses.Robin says it should go by around 11:30 AM monday or tomorrow.Problem is forecast is for rain so it could be very well over cast here.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2017, 03:53:56 am »
Ya it is crazy around here also, schools are closed, also all government agency's except EMT even Fort Campbell is closing all gates except one and everyone, or almost everyone that works there is off. Of course I work for a Beer company and we are wide open. ;) :) Supposed to be clear and hot here today, a few scattered clouds but mostly clear so I guess for all that have traveled that is a good thing. We have had over 4,000 from Japan show up in Hendersonville 15 miles North of Nashville last week and expecting 2000,000 in Clarksville and 5000,000 in Nashville, go figure.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2017, 05:30:45 am »
Might be hard to get your nap in with all that commotion Pappy.
Bjrogg
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 08:16:44 am by bjrogg »

Offline DC

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2017, 11:42:29 am »
It's started here at about 9:15aPDT. Tried to get a picture but the camera doesn't want to focus through the welding glass.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 12:40:58 pm by DC »

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2017, 12:29:30 pm »
The Eclipse has just started here in Decatur, Alabama. 12:09 PM CDT

David

David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline DC

« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2017, 12:37:20 pm »
It's max right now about 75-80% here. It's noticeably dim like evening. We have a thin cloud cover. It doesn't stop the view but I think it makes it darker.
Through the welding glass it looks just like the moon but you see all the phases in an hour :D

Offline Stoker

« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2017, 01:11:34 pm »
Just viewed.. Bout 70% southeastern Alberta.. It has a evening type dimness here.. Fellow came form next shop over with welding helmet.. Looks cool.. Hey it's lunch time
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2017, 01:26:04 pm »
I don't need no stinking eclipse viewing glasses! One welding hood is not quite enough shade but my self darkening hood and the lens out of another hood is perfect.

My step kids got fleeced buying eclipse glasses on line that turned out to be not certified. One local school bought them for all their students and found out none of the glasses they bought were certified.

The coverage is about half here in Florence Al at 1:00 central time. It is supposed to be 95-98% at 1:26. 

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2017, 01:39:01 pm »
My little dog is enjoying the eclipse. 

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2017, 01:50:27 pm »
Second time I've seen it. Used welders hood but I didn't stare at it for a hour. Could see it good. Tried to take picture bite couldn't make it work. Like the picture of your dog Clint
Bjrogg

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2017, 02:07:55 pm »
Ecliptical tiller   ;D

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2017, 02:19:56 pm »
We had totality here but had to view it, on and off through the edge of a thunderhead. Pretty cool anyway. Just the darkness was eerie. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2017, 02:20:51 pm »
Sweeeet ecliptical tiller!.Was out shooting arrows as the eclipse went by at 95%.That 5% left the slight top rim of the sun shining yet.Noticeably fainter light overall.Felt slightly cooler here too.Saw it between intermittent cloud cover.
History has been made.....yea!!!!
I've seen it one time before too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed