Author Topic: west coast bows,,  (Read 5902 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: west coast bows,,
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2017, 09:13:47 pm »
That bow will look great laying across a fat Tennessee doe.  Good luck with it Pappy.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2017, 12:55:32 am »
Man those bows are absolutely amazing works of art! I'm lucky enough to have a great anthropology museum near me that has a good collection of plains and west coast bows so have seen some originals up close. It amazes me to think of the ingenuity that went into the development of these designs- absolute genius!  :)
I have a couple of really knotty Yew staves with very thick sapwood. They are quite wide and so I'm wondering if I could use the heart wood for a sinew backed paddle bow. Is it feasible to use kitty yes heartwood as the core of such a bow?  8)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2017, 12:59:51 am »
Knotty staves aren't an issue, within reason of course. Strip the sapwood and create a nice even back, no reason to bother with anything close to a a growth ring.
Eric

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2017, 01:59:36 am »
Cheers Eric I'll give it some thought. I've been wondering what to do with those staves for a couple of years- dunno why I didn't think of it before! I'll have to improve my tillering skills before starting a sinewed bow though! ☺
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2017, 12:27:16 pm »
High Desert,, do you leave the knots proud,, or do you smooth them down,,???

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2017, 03:32:26 pm »
When I smooth out the back, I treat it like there are no knot. I'm looking for symmetry with these bows, not following growth rings, dips or rises in the wood.  I'm talking about your typical pin knots, not huge loose nots. If it's a sold knot, up to a half in or so, and probably larger,  they have never caused any issue with any yew I have worked. Since these knots will only be on the belly, they cause no issues, even if they are on the edge.
Eric

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2017, 04:13:33 pm »
thats very interesting, and sounds scary to my old school train of thought,, but I will give it a try when I have a stave that alows,, thanks for the info,,
 :)

Offline Hamish

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2017, 06:57:19 pm »
Awesome bows guys.

Offline Philipp A

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2017, 11:41:41 am »
Love your short bows Simon! Beautiful tiller and impressive draw weights!