Author Topic: enclosed tube quiver  (Read 6924 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: enclosed tube quiver
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2017, 10:01:17 am »
I don't know about impressive but they do the job/take the abuse/and keep on ticking....lol.I'm on the look out for more dead or butchered cows or self butchered beef around here.Should get up some more rawhide processed with time.I usually can manage to get the hide free.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2017, 12:56:00 pm »
Ed,
What method do you use to make the rawhide?  From reading Laubin, it is a lot of work for one person, especially since the dogs like leather >:D!  Got a full angus cow hide in the freezer,(about 24 years) with the hair off, but don't remember how well I fleshed it. Too many other things keep getting in the way, and I haven't decided on rawhide or leather.  It is a bit hard to find a friendly neighborhood tannery these days!  I got pictures of my quiver, but can't get them to post.  Copied one I saw on the Wisconsin Outdoors site or the WI Bowhunters, except for the art work.  I incorporated the opening into the seam, an reenforced it with a big brace patch.  Will keep trying to post.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2017, 01:49:42 pm »
OK Hawk.If it's a beef hide it should be thick enough.
Here's a link from Primitive Skills thread.   
Beef hide and quivers/Back from page 11 http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,55371.0.htmlor the Big fella into Buckskin link in same thread on page 8 Big fella into buckskin/Smoking/Lots of pics.http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,56929.0.html.This might help some.
Basically if your rawhide was froze in the raw stage it might be ok to take out of the freezer and laced into a frame.Fleshed better with a scraper and left dry if the hair is off already.You'll have rawhide.That's pretty much the way I do it.The ones I get with hair on I dry scrape off after fleshing and drying.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 07:56:06 pm by Beadman »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2017, 11:39:10 pm »
Ed,
Thanks for the links.  Looks like there is a fall/winter project to line up on the do list!  I'll have to make a bigger frame, but have  enough pieces of lodge poles to make an 8x8 to stretch the hide out enough.  It will probably take 2-3 days to thaw enough to mount for fleshing.  Your beadwork and leather work are really  good!  Make mine look like the beginner I am!  Even at my age )P( >:D!  We have come close to stealing this post, but at least the topics is related.
 Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2017, 08:39:55 am »
Yes I hope archeryrob is OK with it but these topics seem to get a life of their own.Big hides like that are a lot of work no doubt but it's a process where with weather permitting it does'nt all need to be done at one time.Hope the hide is good yet.It should be.24 years is a long time.I think I did a deer hide one once from being frozen for eight years once and it was fine.
Make a thread in the primitive skills section when some progress is done on yours.Love to see it.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2017, 01:20:38 pm »
https://m.imgur.com/user/jmccn39
Here is the enclosed quiver I made, copied a model I found on the Wisconsin Bowhunters site, I think, less the artwork.  I will probably make another a bit shorter and add fleece to protect the fletching.  This one is set up left handed, but could be converted to rh by punching new holes on the other side.
I remember seeing this design many years ago.  Punch on the code line to see the images.
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2017, 01:26:56 pm »
Jerry

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2017, 08:38:42 am »
Yes...Pretty nice!
It can be made out of rawhide too.Just extending the length enough to accomodate the arrows completely past the nock.Then a cap put on there.A cover of some sort would be needed for the arrow access hole too.Maybe some kind of flap or something.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2017, 11:20:22 am »
The rain flap is the next improvement(?), also plan to shorten it and add a fleece liner for the fletching.   >:D  Not real sure why I need a rain flap, though, we don't get much, and it usually comes all at once!  Cause for celebration, unless you get caught out in it!  Then the flap is important! >:D
I may just start on another for me, but I have enough just started projects!!
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2017, 03:09:23 pm »
I know I usually don't hunt in the rain locally for deer anyway,but on extended trips into bigger country farther from shelter can result in getting wet.I'd say in situations like that I'd have a waterproof poncho with that the quiver could go under too.It's just a matter of tried and true using of the equipment.
What made me like the side cat quiver in the very first place was the easy very little sideways motion of retrieving of the arrow from the quiver on my side for a second shot.
BowEd
Ed