Author Topic: strings  (Read 13746 times)

Offline WillS

Re: strings
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2017, 12:05:09 pm »
there is no gain to thigh roll the body of the string cause you have to separate the string again

Correct - that's why you don't thigh roll the body of the string ;D

I'm talking purely about thigh-rolling INSTEAD of the slower "twist, wrap, twist wrap" thing.  I'm not talking about a different way to make a string, I'm talking about a different method to make EXACTLY the same string.

Basically - if you took my string, and put it next to a Flemish laid in double looped string made the slow way, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference - in quality, tension, method etc. 

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2017, 12:18:35 pm »
I may be wrong here but nonone's corrected me but after I make a 2 loop string I keep the main body lengths parallel the hook one loop onto  something stout and non giving and stretch my string with a screw driver into the other loop.The fades on the string keep their length then.Then I like my strings just a shade longer then needed at this point.Then I simply twist the string to my exact length I need which can be fro 20 to 50 twists after being used on the bow.
Let me understand here now the single loop method I do myself too like you or pretwisting on my thigh indivdiual strands then reverse twisting with a drill then or on your thigh.I agree that way does'nt take long at all but for 2 loops it takes me longer and no drill or thigh rolling is used at all
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline WillS

« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2017, 12:21:23 pm »
Yeah the double loop is a bit of a faff, but it does work with some practice.  I just hate bowyers knots because I normally make strings for bows over 130lb, and FastFlight and bowyers knots are a bad mix at that weight!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2017, 12:24:34 pm »
I gotta agree with that about that slippery FF.The FF tillering string with a bowyers knot used usually takes at least a couple extra wraps to hold securely.A good waxing helps me too.
BowEd
Ed

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2017, 12:53:50 pm »
I quit using a bowyers knot on my tillering string.  It kept slipping.  Danznbar gave me a small aluminum spacer with 2 holes in it.  You take a long double loop string and run it through the spacer.  If you need to shorten it you just add another wrap or two through the holes.  It works great and saves me a lot of time fighting with the bowyers knots.  It's small and light enough that I can shoot the bow with it on the string and not notice it.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2017, 12:55:48 pm »
Cool....Seems I've seen or heard of that before too.
BowEd
Ed

Offline PatM

« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2017, 01:15:14 pm »

Basically - if you took my string, and put it next to a Flemish laid in double looped string made the slow way, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference - in quality, tension, method etc.

You're making up stuff now to justify your quick and dirty method. There is just no way you can free roll something without having it under tension and have it be as tight and tidy.

The actual twisting of loops  takes very little time even if done in the method you think is SO incredibly labor intensive.  The time is all in the prep and attention to detail.

It's really easy to hide sloppy work into a twisted string under tension on the bow.

I'm pretty sure you have now reduced every aspect of bowmaking to some sort of rushed shortcut. In this I can't think of a single exception.

Offline WillS

« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2017, 02:14:06 pm »
If you say so mate!

Offline loon

« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2017, 03:26:23 pm »
knotted strings are underrated. But still not that easy because the strands tend to get pulled and such. Would be easier with some sort of solid material. I.e. just reverse twisted material...

ooh could reverse twist just the loop portions. Uglier than flemish, but ..
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 03:53:03 pm by loon »

Offline willie

« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2017, 04:46:13 pm »
I use this for 90% of the time.
for presentation, I take the time to do a flemish 

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2017, 03:54:10 am »
So do you unlay that to splice in the loop?

Offline willie

« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2017, 04:59:05 am »
no, just a knot for the loops and some serving for my fingers.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2017, 05:05:59 am »
That's dyneema? What size do you use? Thought it didn't hold knots very well as its quite slippery, so, what knot do you use for that?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 05:09:08 am by stuckinthemud »

Offline willie

« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2017, 05:19:02 am »
yes, dyneema. knot holding ability is about the coating. will try to post a pic with the knot later.

Offline FilipT

« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2017, 05:48:27 am »
Any good tutorials on how to make FF double loop string?