Author Topic: strings  (Read 14100 times)

Offline bubby

Re: strings
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2017, 07:20:29 am »
Knots create a weak spot in any rope or string, they might work but i wont use them
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PatM

« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2017, 07:36:39 am »
Knots create a weak spot in any rope or string, they might work but i wont use them

This is true but all the old composite bows had knotted strings. Usually pretty complex knots to distribute strain and allow quick loosening to adjust.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2017, 08:54:01 am »
Any good tutorials on how to make FF double loop string?
Stalker....I bet there might be an archery company that might have a helpful you tube of making a double loop flemish string.Whether it be B50 or FF it would be the same way.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2017, 08:55:37 am »

This is true but all the old composite bows had knotted strings. Usually pretty complex knots to distribute strain and allow quick loosening to adjust.
PatM....Yea but those strings on those horn bows were served before any knots were put into those loops.
BowEd
Ed

Offline DC

« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2017, 10:15:37 am »

Offline PatM

« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2017, 10:22:36 am »

PatM....Yea but those strings on those horn bows were served before any knots were put into those loops.

Maybe some of them but not all of them.   Artifacts show bare string or a chamois leather cushion wrap on the Scythian bows.  The rawhide strings were simply knotted. You can see that on Manchu bows and bows from Tibet.

Offline FilipT

« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2017, 10:46:45 am »
I like the Bearpaw link, although I wonder can jig be made so it accepts long strings, such as for longbows

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2017, 11:03:31 am »
PatM....I imagine so then.I'm sure you've done more investigating then me.I'm just stating from what is in Karpowiczes book.
BowEd
Ed

Offline PatM

« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2017, 11:35:17 am »
I like the Bearpaw link, although I wonder can jig be made so it accepts long strings, such as for longbows

Of course it can.

Offline DC

« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2017, 11:40:59 am »

You can make the jig as long as you want. Because everyone twists a little tighter or looser you just have to calibrate it. To do that I decided on how much string I was going to use to make my loops and marked that on the side of the jig so it would be the same every string. Then I made my best guess for length for the first string. When I finished the string I marked the length on the center row pin I used. If the center row pins are 1" apart then you can make strings in 2" increments. To start with I put a strip of masking tape down the center to write on. As I made strings I mark the length it actually turned out to beside the pin I used. After a bit you'll fall into a pattern and you'll be able to make a string the right length the first time, very satisfying.

Offline FilipT

« Reply #70 on: September 15, 2017, 01:42:28 pm »
I like this drawing. It seems there is place for string for big bows.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #71 on: September 15, 2017, 02:01:23 pm »
I prefer endless loop but have been making a number of natural fiber strings lately with fine linen threads (35/3) that I picked several years ago.  I got 2 lbs of the stuff and it's decent quality but too fine for an endless loop.  I reverse twist and ply the thread then ply it again into shorter length.  It takes me a lot longer than 10 minutes to make a string.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline willie

« Reply #72 on: September 15, 2017, 03:30:38 pm »
here are some knots I use...
the first is a "bowyers knot", or what we call a keg knot around here
the second and third are front and back of the same knot, basically a clove hitch
the last is a close-up of the gangion knot, before it is tightened.
Btw, the tips are "nockless" as recomended by WillS a few years back.

Offline loon

« Reply #73 on: September 15, 2017, 03:42:05 pm »
These days, besides modern style endless strings, Koreans use a fancy knot tied into an endless unserved string, with FF. They seem to have done the same with silk in the past. I've also used this knot, the korean knot has been very difficult to get right for me, compared to this one. (drawing by Bede from ATARNnet)

edit: the below is more of a Manchu than a Korean knot. I should make an illustration of the Korean knot...

can also do an overhand or fig 8 on a bight, but that's very difficult/impossible to adjust

FF is so ridiculously strong, it doesn't matter that knots create a weak point. With lighter bows, it's not difficult to overbuild a dacron string either

Not necessary with dacron but with FF, I burn the tag end to prevent it slipping through the knot, and haven't had any problems with my 50# bow, shooting 7gpp. I used to use CA glue to secure the knot, too, but that makes it make a loud noise when it slams into the string bridge
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 06:24:23 pm by loon »

Offline DC

« Reply #74 on: September 15, 2017, 03:51:41 pm »
Willie, that doesn't look like a Boyers Knot(Timber Hitch) to me. The tail comes out in the wrong place. I googled Keg Knot and got nada. Could we get a better look at the first one.