Author Topic: strings  (Read 14112 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: strings
« Reply #75 on: September 15, 2017, 04:23:07 pm »
I've used a bowyers knot for 30 years with B-50 string and never had a string break; 14 strand x 2 ply for bows up to 65#.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline willie

« Reply #76 on: September 15, 2017, 04:29:16 pm »
Willie, that doesn't look like a Boyers Knot(Timber Hitch) to me

it's not, it is just what I use for a bowyers knot. the tail reverses around the standing line to double the loop. lots of ways to  finish it off depending on how permanent you want to make it. two half hitches is shown in the photo.
bubby is right, in that some knots weaken the line more than others. This hitch in particular is one of the worst for that, but it can be easily untied while under tension. Just plan accordingly...
I do not expect that google would help you with what is a local name for a commonly used knot around here. Just don't know what the rest of the world calls it.

actually the gangion knot and the korean knot, as shown in Loon's pic, are very similar. basically a slip knot with the running end tucked back into the knot a bit differently.

Offline DC

« Reply #77 on: September 15, 2017, 04:48:32 pm »
Willie, that doesn't look like a Boyers Knot(Timber Hitch) to me

it's not, it is just what I use for a bowyers knot. the tail reverses around the standing line to double the loop. lots of ways to  finish it off depending on how permanent you want to make it. two half hitches is shown in the photo.
bubby is right, in that some knots weaken the line more than others. This hitch in particular is one of the worst for that, but it can be easily untied while under tension. Just plan accordingly...
I do not expect that google would help you with what is a local name for a commonly used knot around here. Just don't know what the rest of the world calls it.

actually the gangion knot and the korean knot, as shown in Loon's pic, are very similar. basically a slip knot with the running end tucked back into the knot a bit differently.
Think I got it now. There's another strand hiding behind that tail.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #78 on: September 15, 2017, 11:29:43 pm »
I like making strings!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #79 on: September 16, 2017, 01:41:49 am »
I like making strings!
Go and stand in the corner!  ;)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline FilipT

« Reply #80 on: September 16, 2017, 04:17:26 am »
Del, do you use double loop strings for your warbows?

Offline FilipT

« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2017, 08:32:32 am »
I saw ad for a fishing Spectra braid. Brand name is Power Pro and it comes in thicknesses from 0.10 to 0.56 mm. Most important thing here is the price. Whatever meters / 2 = price. So I can get 300 meters for 150 Croatian Kuna which is about 24$.

Would this be a good choice for a string material? Spectra is supposed to be non-creep material. I should probably put a lot of wax on it but is it any good?

Offline PatM

« Reply #82 on: September 19, 2017, 09:10:46 am »
Yes it is very good and despite being slick it still twists up well with wax.

Offline FilipT

« Reply #83 on: September 19, 2017, 09:12:10 am »
Cool. Have you tried specifically fishing braid or Spectra specifically made for bowstrings that comes pre waxed?

Offline PatM

« Reply #84 on: September 19, 2017, 09:40:59 am »
I am talking about the fishing line. Bowstring spectra is well proven. You're not experimenting with that.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #85 on: September 19, 2017, 09:53:09 am »
Once someone settles in on a certain type of string material they usually stay with it if they like it.Mine as far as FF material goes is FF plus from an archery supply business.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline FilipT

« Reply #86 on: September 19, 2017, 10:08:52 am »
Beadman, I would too if there was someone selling bowstring material in Croatia. Until now I bought always pre made FF strings that come in lengths for bows up to 70" ntn. Since I want to make longer bows (warbows) I must have access to good, strong and relatively cheap material so fishing braid presented itself as one of these choices. Ordering from abroad is not so good because of excessive shipping rates.

Pat, what diameter do you recommend, 0.40 mm enough and making 14,16 strand strings from it?

Offline PatM

« Reply #87 on: September 19, 2017, 11:01:44 am »
Just go by the listed pound test to establish string count. Keep in mind even the heavier pound test is still very thin.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #88 on: September 19, 2017, 11:25:21 am »
Del, do you use double loop strings for your warbows?
I make continuous loop strings. These have two fixed loops each with half the thread count that the main body of the string, mind I lay in a couple of extra strands). I use low strand counts, typically 8 or 10 on light and medium weight bows and 12 on a warbow, but I pad the centre serving.
I have done a couple of Flemish twist linen strings tho' for correctness on a Hedeby style bow.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline willie

« Reply #89 on: September 19, 2017, 01:04:25 pm »
Stalker, there is a sticky about this subject put up last year

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,58933.0.html