Author Topic: Siyahs=limb torque grrrrrr. 49" ntn strung ( 54 along the back ) fd chart PICS!!  (Read 9493 times)

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
Nice!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline sleek

Sleek, what is the final draw weight on this bow? How much set did it take? With designs like this you have to measure the weight losses due to compression, the limbs are thin and the tension will hide most of the set. Your braced tension after a couple of full draw pulls will tell most of the story. I too am curious as to what you get out of it.

I never went back and heat treated the limbs after reducing the angle of the siyah so it is 43#. Steve, I have no way of measuring  lost string tension, but i bet if I made a split string and mounted a bow scale between the string I can.... as for lost weight due to set I am afraid I dont know. It took one inch of set Is all I can say.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Badger

Sleek, try that design using the no set tillering method. Let the condition of the limbs dictate what your draw weight will be. Thin limbs like the one you have will mask set because the tension will pull it back into shape. Let the bow rest for a couple of hours. Then measure the draw weight at about 12" very carefully. Write it down. Now go to full draw and make several pulls at full draw and then go back and measure it at 12" again and see if it is the same. There should be no difference. If there is a difference your design is overstressed. Good learning lesson on bows like this they will teach you a lot about design and material limits.

Offline sleek

I am going to link these two threads togeather as they are the same bow

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,61463.0.html
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others