Author Topic: A good example of no set tillering  (Read 16214 times)

Offline Badger

Re: A good example of no set tillering
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2017, 10:09:48 am »
This thread has brought the no set tiller in pespective for me Im glad you posted what you did Steve Im going to use it on my current bow but Im starting out really wide & over built and going to use the no set method to side tiller to draw weight if Im understanding it right it should work ? My thinking is in the early stages no worries about excesive set being wide & can get to draw and weight with minimal set !

Stickbender use the no set tiller in conjunction with the bow mass and it will zero you in on the right demenisons, you might be shocked at how wide your bow ends up, just make sure you have the mass where you need it. More mass allows you to add stress to your design, reflex, shorter working areas etc.

Offline Badger

« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2017, 10:11:53 am »
   I took my little 35# low elevation yew bow out this morning and flight shooted it. My chrono doesn't work. It exceeded my expectations. I was hoping for 180 yards and I hit over 200. I am going to go back tomorrow for a more accurate measure. I was just counting the fence posts that were 10ft apart. I shot down a fence line.

Offline willie

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2017, 03:22:15 pm »
Steve,

looking back over this thread, I see that you move your benchmark as you tiller. In the opening post you were still using a 17" benchmark for a pull of 23" . Later on in the thread you mentioned a "I stop a few inches short of target weight to set a benchmark for weight."

Does it seem to matter much. how close your benchmark is, to where you are working ?

Offline Badger

« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2017, 03:52:37 pm »
  Willie, it doesn't really matter where you put the benchmark as long as you reestablish it every time you go to the tree.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2017, 05:47:23 pm »
Thanks Steve my last bow of this design took minimal set but marked the design areas that where on the verge of set and beefing those up substantialy and adding reflex on this one so well give your system a go I'm thinking of it as the Mass principal Gen 2
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Badger

« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2017, 06:15:26 pm »
Thanks Steve my last bow of this design took minimal set but marked the design areas that where on the verge of set and beefing those up substantialy and adding reflex on this one so well give your system a go I'm thinking of it as the Mass principal Gen 2

What will you be building?

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2017, 06:35:54 pm »
This one is going to be a 66 in. Osage Lever bow haven't decided on lever length but probably  8 1/2,in I want to induce 4-5 in. of reflex to start probably strait levers  would like to keep 2.5 in. of reflex or better 48 lb at 29 1/4  I'm thinking 1 3/4 out of the fades 1 5/8 mid to 1 in. at the lever fades the 68 in. version of this design was 1 1/2 in. Out of the fades 1 3/8 mid to 7/8 at the lever fade same weight and draw it's holding 1/4 reflex with none induced took minimal set but noticed at the mids it was just about to so I'm figuring with 2 in. Shorter with the added mass should get me in the ball park I was planning on tillering to about 20 in. or so & using the no set tiller and side tiller to get to draw weight & mass !

Offline Badger

« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2017, 09:08:03 pm »
This taken after finishing up on the tiller tree and maybe a dozen arrows had gone through it, about 2 1/4" reflex, after flight shooting today the reflex had increased to 3 1/2", I will get another photo.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2017, 10:48:53 pm »
The profile on that bow is holding up very good and seems to like it if it is even increasing.It would'nt be drying out a bit more yet too would it?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2017, 03:41:27 am »
Very nice I like the slow bending hooks , I was curious about the increasing reflex also , if you get a chance to Chrono please post I would bet you have a wicked ultra light there !
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 02:16:36 pm by Stick Bender »

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2017, 05:50:46 pm »
that bow is very nice, I bet its a sweet shooter,, (SH)

Offline DC

« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2017, 06:31:48 pm »
The only bow I've had do that was a piece of Doug Maple. It was the tension side of a piece that had been held straight for drying. As I removed belly wood it gained reflex. Does Yew have tension wood?

Offline Badger

« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2017, 06:56:44 pm »
Very nice I like the slow bending hooks , I was curious about the increasing reflex also , if you get a chance to Chrono please post I would bet you have a wicked ultra light there !

I figure it was tension wood just coming back with the belly thinning. I don't have my chrono at the moment but I took it out and test shot it for distance with a 450 grain arrow. It exceeded my expectations by quite a bit. I was hoping for 180 yards but I got well over 200 yards with no wind. I am going to double check my measurements but I am pretty sure it was at least 208, all arrows were tightly grouped.
From a grains per pound standpoint I am pretty sure it is the fastest self bow I have ever built a little behind my best laminated. They don't have a 35# class for men so I will see if I can get a lady to shoot it.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2017, 08:36:40 am »
Congratulations on that self bow Steve.Outstanding!!I'm sure the bow must feel light as a feather in the hand.Do you think being a fresh bow helps too?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Badger

« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2017, 08:47:27 am »
Congratulations on that self bow Steve.Outstanding!!I'm sure the bow must feel light as a feather in the hand.Do you think being a fresh bow helps too?

It probably does help although one of the main reasons for no set tillering is that they stay fresh because you are never going into that zone where they break down.