Author Topic: View from the stand 2017  (Read 24784 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: View from the stand 2017
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2017, 07:55:54 am »
Yesterday evening, I was in a lock on overlooking a green plot I planted. I have a perfect tree for my stand that grew behind a big hackberry tree that provides cover and makes me invisible to deer.

To my front;

The only way into the field from my left is a road through a double gate that I bush hogged and cleaned up so the deer would use it. The main field is about 50 acres of grown up pasture that the owner let go.

Two does came out of the grown up field at dusk and fed at about 30 yards and across the plot, a swirling wind gave them a whiff of me and off they went.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2017, 12:01:41 pm »
yes that swirling wind is the deer friend,,,, nice stand, you will get one there for sure

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2017, 07:46:57 pm »
I hunted the stand overlooking a white oak that was dropping acorns like rain this evening, got blown out 4 times with deer either coming in down wind or crossing where I walked in. A big doe came in up wind and fed around at about 10 yards, I passed on a perfect shot opportunity, wide open broadside. I didn't bring my four wheeler (back surgery made long uphill deer drags impossible) and the way she was facing she would be off the ridge top into the thick bottom field if I put an arrow into her. The truth is, I didn't want to fool with a deer and wanted to see if big boy might come in for dinner. She finally looked up, saw me, and left.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2017, 06:53:12 am »
yes that swirling wind is the deer friend,,,, nice stand, you will get one there for sure
Sure got that right Brad.
Nice spot Eric. Those smart does are real trouble makers. They just seem like they have a sixth sense and even if they don't see or smell you they still jump or run at every noise or thing they don't "like". I had my wife drop me off at my favorite stand last night. The deer are less threatened by my pickup than me walking in. When I got out I had a coffee can full of corn I hand shelled I spread out on the ground. There was a garden squash in my truck and I tossed it out in the field. Big mistake, they might get use to it but every animal that came by started to nibble at the corn. Then immediately saw the squash. They all did the same thing. They quick ran a little ways away. Then they cautiously approached the dangerous squash. They would get about three feet from it neck stretched out. Nose and eyes concentrating on  the very scary squash until the fear built up inside them and they turned and ran away not to return. One of the animals was as they say on all the outdoor shows a "Shooter Buck".  He was at about 17 yards quartering towards me. I just never got him to turn before he saw the terrible squash. Pretty sure if the squash wasn't there he would have hung around long enough to give me the shot I was looking for.
Bjrogg
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 08:52:50 am by bjrogg »
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2017, 08:48:34 am »
I think the only place I've hunted where the wind didn't swirl was in the mountains of Colorado. In the sun, the air went up, in the shade, down. Even in these mountains here where I live the wind goes where it wants and changes directions at the least appropriate time.  ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2017, 09:11:36 am »
That darn wind....I keep my hunting clothes in a plastic barrel with fresh cut golden rod and other plants growing here for a cover scent.I dress up and give it the Robin test sniff.Seems to work most times but not always.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2017, 02:16:12 pm »
The first four pictures are from a tree stand in my east fence row. It's in a pine tree I planted about 25 years ago. I'm hoping to get a little time to use I tonight. Took these about a week ago. I should probably trim a few more shooting lanes. I have good cover though.
Bjrogg

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2017, 03:00:41 pm »
Beautiful location.   I think your pine is a spruce or fir tree.  :-\
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2017, 03:40:27 pm »
        Your probably right Pat. I guess I thought spruce and fir where types of pine. I think the AFCS just called them pine trees. They were only about a foot tall when they were planted. It doesn't look like I'm going to get a chance to sit in them tonight.
        The next four are from the other night when ylee coyotes showed up. I was just in the edge of the corn waiting for them to come out in the soybeans. No blind or seat even just stood here.
Bjrogg

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2017, 10:59:32 am »
Those beans look like regular soybeans are'nt they?I know you raise edilble ones too right?Looks like good shooting lanes there though.They've just begun a little taking soybeans out here.Letting the corn dry down yet.I think it's really ready though.
Things were a stirring this morning.Lost count how many deer around.Somewhere's of 12 to 15.Had 7 or 8 under the stand within 30' of the tree.Half does and half 2 to 7 point bucks.Almost let loose on the 7.Seen a bigger 8 a ways off and waited on him.Trouble was he found 2 does over by him to chase.Never did get a shot.Better luck next time!!!!
BowEd
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2017, 05:11:06 pm »
      Your right Ed. Those are soybeans not edibles. We usually plant soybeans on our sugarbeets fields headlands and wedge rows. I'm actually finding it a real nice hunting combination. A regular smorgasbord for the deer that gets them in range. We do it because without self propelled harvester it a lot easier to combine soybeans than dig beets. Also we are in a cooperative with the beets and only allowed so many acres to plant. Might as well plant them where their not getting run over turning around. This was one of the few actual fields of soybeans we planted.
     I messed up a really good shot at a spike horn last night. He walked under my stand. He came around the tree in front of me and stopped quartering away, head up looking out into the field. I concentrated on my spot, drew to full draw and watched my arrow go right over his back. Dang messed that one up. Usually I lean and square myself up to angle I'm shooting at and I can shoot the same as if I was on ground. If I don't do that I always shoot way high. I didn't do that. Oh well, I'm still trying to figure this hunting from trees stuff out yet. A lot of things I like but a few I don't.
Bjrogg
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 05:28:06 pm by bjrogg »

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2017, 06:27:23 pm »
when I shoot out of a stand, and Im a bit excited about the shot,, if I shoot right at the bottom of the deer I do best,,
its hard to make myself aim low,, but it makes more meat,, give it a try next time,,
then the fun starts,, I love to track the deer, ,,,,,,, and I like to processs them too,, and I love to eat venison,, you gonna get him next shot,,,,

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2017, 06:21:18 am »
Brad....Bummer man.Know what you mean though.Even with all the practicing from a stand at short range it can happen.I've taken field tipped arrows with into the stand then shoot a couple first too.Kind of a confidence builder.I shot over a small eight last night too at 10 yards.Don't feel bad though there are a lot bigger ones out there.Awfully windy from the north this morning.Just like a winter storm.Hard to stay warm up in a stand then and I think deer don't like it that terrible windy either.Makes them nervous hearing noises everywhere.Keep at it bud....I will!!!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 09:44:48 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline ksnow

« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2017, 06:59:27 am »
I'm bowhunting seriously for the first time this year.  Spending most of my time on small public tracts within a few miles of home.  They are mainly crop fields with fencerows that act as travel lanes. I bumped two deer on the way out my first night.  Saw two deer feeding in the alfalfa on the second night.  Bumped a single deer on the way out the third night, she was only about 5 yards behind where I was standing 5 minutes earlier. Last night I saw nothing, but found a line of rubs.  I am getting a lot of practice standing still, with hundreds of chipmunks it seems, you have to be still, otherwise they will all start chirping.  I have also seen several rabbits and turkeys.  I know if I keep at it, I will more than likely at least get an opportunity.  Maybe with the weather finally cooling down things will pick up a bit.

Kyle

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2017, 07:35:51 am »
Good luck Kyle.   I hope you get some shot opportunities.

Aim a tad lower next time BJ.   I hit high on close shots.  I took a shot at a small spike the other day.   He was just a few feet from my stand.   It was a bad angle.  I shouldn't have taken the shot.   We tracked small drops of blood for a while before it dried up.  We saw it take off up a hill and it was running fine.  I will learn from it and not take any more shots at that steep of angle. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left