Author Topic: Garter/Beech ALB  (Read 6468 times)

Offline High-Desert

Re: Garter/Beech ALB
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2017, 08:20:18 am »
What a great combo, and original look with those skins. Great job Upstate!
Eric

Offline silent sniper

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2017, 11:15:50 am »
One of my favorites of all you have made so far! Very nice work! SS

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2017, 03:23:23 pm »
Jeff ... Marshall is always the week/weekend of Memorial Day. You'll wanna get there no later than Thu, if at all possible.
See ya there!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2017, 05:23:22 pm »
Hey thanks again ya'll. It's on the calendar Knoll!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline DuBois

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2017, 06:05:24 pm »
Lovin those skins and of course all the rest of it too!
Is blue beech (muscle wood) as good as American? I have one gnarly wild stave I look at once in a while and then put it back in the rafters.
Marco

Offline raylbird

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2017, 06:08:09 pm »
Looks great with those skins, never see garter snakes long enough for that. Beech is my favorite wood also.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2017, 06:10:09 pm »
Yes Jeff, Memorial Day Weekend but like knoll says the earlier the better. Most leave on Sunday a few of us stay till noon or so Monday. Last year we were pulling out on Monday and two couples pulled in on motorcycles to see all the bows but everyone was gone.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2017, 06:15:33 pm »
Glad ya like her DB. I've tried using Blue Beech aka musclewood, but with no success. The ridges have always resulted in uneven distribution of tension across the back and... crrrraaaccckkk. I think it would be a great bow wood if you could find a piece with less dramatic ridges. I know trees like that are out there. American Beech is totally unrelated. It's really easy to work and performs great with heat treating.

Thanks ray. Each snake was a little over 30" long.

I'm going for sure BJ. Meeting you jokers face to face is simply not a thing I can pass up.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Stoner

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2018, 06:42:29 pm »
Don't know how I missed this thread. Great bow and love garter skins. I did one with garters, I would catch in my stone shop in MI. It was a catch and release thing. I would lay them next to a yard stick and if too short let them go back in the rock pile. John

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2018, 08:27:28 pm »
Wow, thanks a bunch Stoner. It's funny that you found this one cause I recently gave it to a friend who grew up in Ghana learning to shoot primitive bows with his Grandfather.  )P(  He told me he'd been really wanting to return to his roots, so I gave him this bow. It was a great feeling cause he was so appreciative of it. Every time I see him now he tells me how much he loves it.  :)

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Greenriverwoodcraft

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2018, 08:37:45 pm »
Fantastic Job! You should enter this for BOM but if you do remind me not to enter a self bow this month because I can't not beat that

Offline barebo

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2018, 04:57:31 am »
When I was just starting to hunt at age 14 only small game was allowed. Here in Central NY, we had a lot of Beech trees and that's where most of my squirrels were taken. The ground was littered with nuts so they were easy for a kid with a .22.

It seems now that they have gotten scarce. I'd love to try it so may try to locate one on a friends property.

Upstate - Love the bow! I've been seeing your work for some time now, and your skill level is really impressive.

I'm in Oneida Castle - 20 miles east of Syracuse. We have some great 3-D courses locally. Maybe we can tote stickbows to one this spring?

Offline kbear

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2018, 05:33:05 am »
Upstate, can I ask; did that bow start out reflexed, and ended up straight, or started out straight, and stayed that way? How many shots have you put through it? It remains perfectly straight........ What is your tillering technique? Is this typical of Beech?

I am always amazed at this community's ability to produce amazing bows that show little to no set. And, I am frustrated at my inability to produce such a bow.......

Offline redhillwoods

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2018, 09:28:52 am »
I really love that bow. Great work Upstate. Can we see a closeup of the arrow pass/handle area?

Offline ohma2

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2018, 12:41:13 pm »
Nice job with that.