Author Topic: Help please. Arm Slap D bow (FD pic added)  (Read 7525 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Help please. Arm Slap D bow
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2017, 06:19:37 am »
Morgan just a thought here might not be the problem. I think you said this is a heavier bow than you've shot in the past. Are you using heavier spines arrows? Maybe they are to weak in spine and bending to much causing the string to act like a bad release. Just a thought. I actually don't use or own a arm guard. I probably should have one especially for hunting with a coat on to keep sleeve out of string. Gotta go to city today for wife's root canal. Maybe I can get one if we get there early.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2017, 07:45:38 am »
Morgan,
             That rotation in your hand sounds like limb alignment problem at full draw causing a twisting...Have you flipped the bow yet...just try the flip over and shoot a few...these primitive bows can do some weird things once fully drawn...Short bendy bows are more critical to your shooting form and design, they can be touchy and need practice...Flip just for kicks and see...Kinda like going from a rifle to a pistol...
                              Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2017, 12:19:36 pm »
try to round the edges a bit,,
hold it with a loose grip,,rotate your hand so the arm comes out a bit,
shoot it for a week exclusively,, it will come around for you,,
it is a great design, and will shoot well,, ,, it just may take a bit of time to get used to it,

there is no need to build it out,,,, that design has worked for thousands of years,, it will work for you,,

Offline Morgan

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2017, 04:16:33 pm »
Bj, the spine could be a factor. About 10# weak for this bow.
 Don, I haven't flipped it yet, letting my arm scan over a bit more. This stave was a bit wonkey for my skill level and the bottom limb might be a bit stiffer than it should be. It don't look terrible at full draw, but is really noticeable at brace. Part of that is from a slight natural kink in my top limb causing a little natural deflect. The bottom limb has a wave to it when looked at from the side view. I almost had a hinge there when tillering so I left it a little stiff. I'm also probably bending more in the middle than I should, but that's hard for me to tell cause there is a kink there too that makes it look bent before tillering ever started. I think if I shoot it flipped what is now bottom limb will be too stiff on top. Don't know though.
Brad, I'm not going to give up on this bow, it's the hardest shooting bow I've made to date, just gonna get somearm protection before I go any further with it. I did try drawing it with an open hand with the grip just resting in the crotch of my thumb and hand. I didn't see the rotation that I was earlier.

Offline loon

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2017, 04:25:29 pm »
Thanks for the tips guys. When I had the bow braces low, my wrist got the slap. No harm to accuracy, braces high it hit my forearm, and I would shoot off. Badly.
interesting. I'm also worried a high brace height would strain the bow too much.
I used to have a twisted b50 string on a hickory flatbow that slapped the heck out of my wrist. Not a problem with FF.. guess the b50 just stretches too much or was too twisted

Offline Morgan

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2017, 04:35:04 pm »
Thanks for the tips guys. When I had the bow braces low, my wrist got the slap. No harm to accuracy, braces high it hit my forearm, and I would shoot off. Badly.
interesting. I'm also worried a high brace height would strain the bow too much.
I used to have a twisted b50 string on a hickory flatbow that slapped the heck out of my wrist. Not a problem with FF.. guess the b50 just stretches too much or was too twisted
There is a lot of twist to this string. It is a single loop string that I made a long time ago and has more twist than it needs. I thought fast flight would harm bow tips? I don't have any interest in doing overlays on this bow. How high would be too high of a brace?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2017, 04:50:07 pm »
Morgan,, just untwist the string,, and re tie at the bottom,,
how long is the bow and how far are  you drawing it, you may have said that earlier,,
7 inches is a far as I would go,,
fast flight is ok,, but not necessary,, I shoot it on some of my bows,,but when i started it was all b 50,, it worked fine,,
i think most of the issue is your form,, and if you practice with that bow a bit more you will sort things out,,
can you post a pic of how you are holding the bow at full draw,,
we are all just guessing ,but that most simple of designs ,, should not be difficult to tune,,

Offline Morgan

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2017, 05:01:52 pm »
Brad, hadn't measured it till just now. It is 62" ntn. Didn't take any measurements at all when I made it, just started cutting. I draw 27" at my anchor. If I snap shoot it's about an inch shorter.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 05:06:55 pm by Morgan »

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: Help please. Arm Slap D bow (FD pic added)
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2017, 05:43:26 pm »
that looks pretty good,looks like our left elbow is a little stiff or maybe a bit too straight,,
did you untwist the string,,
where are you shooting the arrow,, in the middle or above center,,
also I agree the spine being light is a factor,,
can you cut the arrows shorter to see how the bow likes them a bit stiffer,,

Offline Morgan

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2017, 05:52:07 pm »
Brad, I haven't untwisted the string yet. The arrows I have are too short to cut down. Making a shaft making jig now to whip out a few more arrows. My arrow is passing probably 1 1/4" above center of bow.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2017, 06:04:45 pm »
ok sounds like a good plan,, if that bruise on your arm is from the string, then you were turning your arm into the string too much,,
and that may be from trying to draw the bow too far,, or from the extra weight,,,

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2017, 06:39:15 pm »
You should twist your wrist over so that the base of your thumb is supporting the bow and the heel of your hand is barely touching the outside of the bow.  That should do it
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Morgan

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2017, 07:45:23 pm »
ok sounds like a good plan,, if that bruise on your arm is from the string, then you were turning your arm into the string too much,,
and that may be from trying to draw the bow too far,, or from the extra weight,,,
Brad, that bruise is from the string. I know what you're saying about turning into the string, it felt like the bow was turning in my hand toward my arm, but it was probably me. I'll get it figured out.
Thank you.

Offline Morgan

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2017, 10:13:42 pm »
You should twist your wrist over so that the base of your thumb is supporting the bow and the heel of your hand is barely touching the outside of the bow.  That should do it
I just saw this Marc, I'll try that. Gonna run to the archery shop in town tomorrow and see if they have an arm guard.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2017, 11:58:21 am »
with arm guard and what Marc said you gonna be good to go,,,