Author Topic: Deer death  (Read 13895 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Deer death
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2017, 02:37:08 pm »
This may be anthropomorphizing greatly, but I am reminded of a story a friend's WWII vet father used to relate every once in a while when he was trying to illustrate how we kids needed to toughen up.  He went all through basic and deployed to the European theatre with the same bunch of guys. He says there was one fellow that shirked every detail, cut corners everywhere, but was a mean son-of-a-biscuit.  Another guy was jovial, everybody's best buddy, but just couldn't help but react poorly whenever things got tough.  In one particular bad stretch of battle the slacker s-o-b had a leg blown off, handed off his grenades and ammo to his buddies, and used his belt as a tourniquet. He was left behind.  They picked him up two days later. He had managed to mop up two enemy with nothing more than his knife.  The happy-go-lucky guy took a bullet in the shoulder and promptly died. 

Hard to say whether deer have differing philosophies or reactions to adversity as humans do. But I know dogs sure as heck do!

I have always wanted a decent study done on deer being hit with an arrow when unaware of the shooter, versus those hit when aware, versus those hit when aware and on elevated alert.  Of the three, I would much rather stick a deer with it'd head down munching browse while it is humming a happy little tune to itself about how it is a wunnerful day to be alive!  Personally, my shortest trail was under twenty yards from where he was hit, and it was on a buck in rut that knew exactly where I was, what I was doing, and that I had been the one to deal the death blow to his boiler room.  But he was also in with a bunch of does that were not alarmed and here at the peak of estrus.  He died trying to get a leg up on one of them!  He went out working on his favorite part of the year!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2017, 05:46:47 pm »
It could be the shock impact of hitting bone alarms deer as opposed to going through just flesh that makes them run harder in the beginning.Excluding head shots of course.Both terminal if in the vitals but different reactions to it.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline sleek

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2017, 10:06:21 pm »
My only bow kill was difficult to say the least.  It was a deep angle, went through the stomach first, then the diaphragm, took the corner off a lung, missed the heart and center pumched the other lung and exited the other side. Blood all ove the impact site. I tracked it about 300 yards hands and knees through all kinds of brush, hills, tall dead grass that has purple spots all over when it dies... i found half my arrow 50 yards in, then the other half about another 50. I suspect she was pushed perhaps by yotes.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2017, 07:19:35 am »
That's a good job trailing sleek.Proud of ya.
After over 50 years of hunting I don't think there's any predictable reason why deer run farther one time then another.
Like everything else in this world you prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2017, 10:28:19 am »
Many times here there are deer/turkeys/coon all eating together at the bird feeder here in the dead of the winter on a sunny abnormal warmer day for the coon to be there.Good entertainment!!!
I will say I've had more bucks generally walk away from being shot then does though.Could be they are in a different state of mind I don't quite know.
BowEd
Ed

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2017, 03:28:37 pm »
I had one doe stare at me as I put a arrow through her heart face on, she never moved even after the shot, and fell on her face. That is the strangest reaction I have ever personally seen. Sometimes I think the arrows are so sharp that there is a delayed reaction to the brain, especially if they think they are safe.

I was tracking a deer for my brother, who had a arrow on his string in case the animal was still alive. The weather was really cold with lots of rain, we were cold to the bone....anyhow at some point my hand was cut by my brothers arrow head, and half the blood we were tracking was mine, I had no idea of the cut, no pain, nothing. The cold numbed the pain to the point of no feeling.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2017, 08:49:30 am »
Sometimes I think the arrows are so sharp...

I'm not shure it's related to sharpness
I had an accident with a chainsaw and reported some nice deep wounds on left arm
I was also so lucky not to cut away any essential parts
As I stared at that bloody gash asking why I feeled almost no pain.
I tough I had severed some nerves but that proved to be false so there are major wounds that cause small or no pain
Probably if the animal feels relative safe certain wounds are not a reason to flee

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2017, 11:02:14 am »
I know organs inside people don't seem to have nerves like from a needle puncturing them for a test or something.At least I've been told that too.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2017, 11:20:51 am »
yes I tell my wife it doesnt hurt the deer when I shoot them,, she just looks at me funny,,, )P(

Offline Strelets

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2017, 12:10:38 pm »
Certainly the heart and the arteries have no nerves. Last year I had an angiogram; they stuck a needle and tube into my femoral artery in the groin, worked it up through the arteries into my heart and injected dye into it. I was wide awake with only a local anaesthetic where the tube went in. I didn't feel a thing except for an ache in the groin.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2017, 02:25:50 pm »
Strelets...true enough.
yes I tell my wife it doesnt hurt the deer when I shoot them,, she just looks at me funny,,, )P(
That's a good one Brad.Robin tells me to just not shoot a baby one. )P(
BowEd
Ed

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2017, 11:08:15 pm »
I think the running is more apt to happen regardless of weapon.  Rifle/muzzleloader bully/ball are are Mach 1.5/2+ and they still run even with a heart/lung shot.  I had one hit with my .58 cal. with round ball in a rib going in, decimated heart and lungs, still went 75 yards.  Had another run up hill almost 100 yards after a standing heart shot.  Haven't had a bow kill yet.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2017, 05:11:16 pm »
I think the running is more apt to happen regardless of weapon.  Rifle/muzzleloader bully/ball are are Mach 1.5/2+ and they still run even with a heart/lung shot.  I had one hit with my .58 cal. with round ball in a rib going in, decimated heart and lungs, still went 75 yards.  Had another run up hill almost 100 yards after a standing heart shot.  Haven't had a bow kill yet.
Hawkdancer

I have a buddy that I turned into a flintlock shooter after he turned me into a bowyer. Turnabout was fair play, I think.

His deer shot with his .54 have always run.  He double lunged a buck once and he recovered it nearly half a mile away.  I tend to see mine go down at 20-40 yds.  Neither of us is a "hot loader", he shoots 85 grains in his .54, I load with 70 in my .50 cal.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2017, 09:47:37 am »
Yes JW I've had a jonathon browning .54 hawken since 1980 and shot dozens of deer with it.Black walnut stock/brass and iron furniture.I put a 35" badger barrel on it instead of the 30" barrel that came with the gun.10/1000ths deep rifling.Slow twist of 66".Meant for round ball shooting.Still have it.Put a finer blade front site on it too.Very accurate.All round ball[.52 cal. with a .10 thick pillow tick patch/I think 280 grain weight] loads many times with only 60 grains of black powder at ranges under 50 yards and a bit more powder past that range.I keep paper patch quick loads I make with me of different grain loads.I can truly actually say every deer I hit with it died.Usually always going down somewhere's between 50 to 100 yards.Depending on whether a good shoulder hit happened they went down earlier.It is my only go to big game rifle.
Is'nt much different with a good sharp broadhead as far as distance deer go after being shot most times.I'll say this though bow hunting at close range is more work but more exciting if the deer are around.
Like I've read said.Dead is dead at 20 yards or 200 yards.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 07:19:43 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Will Tell

Re: Deer dgeath
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2017, 11:53:43 am »
I've had a few drop in their tracks, two with rifle slugs out of a 12 gauge shotgun and one spine shot buck the spine shot put him down but he was far from dead. I had to shoot him again. Both 12 gauge shots were in the shoulder.