Author Topic: Deer death  (Read 13900 times)

Offline Swamp Thang

Re: Deer death
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2017, 06:02:22 pm »
I lucked out had an unusual spike run past me about 6 feet away I shot him on the run he cut a flip and dropped.

Offline sleek

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2017, 06:06:31 pm »
Neck shots are best imo. With a rifle of course. The trama will take it out quick, leave the heart to pump out the blood for you, no need to drain it, and you dont loose much meat. And if you miss, its a clean miss almost guarunteed. A good expanding bullet to almost 90 percent of the neck is a nock down shot.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2017, 07:48:15 pm »
I found a really nice 8 point dead that had a bullet wound to the neck. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline sleek

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2017, 07:55:36 pm »
I found a really nice 8 point dead that had a bullet wound to the neck.

100% effective  most of the time :D

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2017, 11:02:37 am »
Swamp thing....Cool!!I had that happen to me shooting a good sized button buck once.Does were on the other side of me in the stand and the button buck was on the other side a distance of 50 yards or so.I used my doe bleat and he came running by on a lope right by my stand.Nailed him with a passed through dogwood at less then 5 yards.He did'nt go very far.Not a trophy or anything but it was exciting.
Not in the neck though.In the vitals.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 02:01:39 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2017, 12:01:06 pm »
The most effective shot placement is in the boiler room, heart/lung area from slightly quartering away to straight on from the side. In my opinion the neck isn't a very good area UNLESS you hit an artery. If you just hit muscle the deer can live out his life with an arrow sticking through his neck.   >:(
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Strelets

« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2017, 12:41:40 pm »
Here's one hunter who went for neck shots, illustrated about 1340. Medieval arrowheads could be very wide, up to about 3" across the barbs, which would increase the chances of hitting an artery.

Howard Hill used to hunt from horseback, has anyone tried it in more recent times? I used to ride in the New Forest in England, and noticed that deer and other animals often showed little fear of someone on horseback.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2017, 03:00:07 pm »
I had a friend in South Carolina that hunted from horseback with a 30-30. He said he could ride right up on deer if the wind was in his favor.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2017, 03:49:48 pm »
Some Iowa boys do that on a tractor or a combine too......lol.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline sleek

« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2017, 05:48:45 pm »
To be clear, neck shots are best with a good expanding rifle bullet. Id not attempt one with an arrow unless im dying of hunger.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2017, 07:51:15 pm »
A high shoulder shot will usually drop them in their tracks.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2017, 06:46:34 am »
Neck wounds are what we found most often, second goes to leg wounds, when we processed hundreds of deer every fall at dads shop. Your target is about a 1.25" round spinal column, artery's are a total crap shoot and the rest all solid meat. Hit one in the throat and good luck killing it. In my opinion, you couldn't take a worse shot and I don't care what trigger you are pulling or string you are dropping.

If you want the best red meat you can make. Leave as much blood within muscle as possible and drop the animal ASAP to do so. Bleeding out is for white meat.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2017, 06:51:57 am »
Having a chance to look over literally thousands of deer and hear thousands of deer stories was a great opportunity for me to learn what kills deer outside of my own field experience. From rifles, shotguns, muzzleloaders, cars, trucks, pistols, bolts and arrows. I seen and heard it all. Every fall we would line up slugs, bullets and broad heads on a wall perlin. Few of which actually killed the animal, but were still in it.

Moral of the story, shoot them in lungs/heart or don't shoot.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline sleek

« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2017, 07:19:15 am »
Having a chance to look over literally thousands of deer and hear thousands of deer stories was a great opportunity for me to learn what kills deer outside of my own field experience. From rifles, shotguns, muzzleloaders, cars, trucks, pistols, bolts and arrows. I seen and heard it all. Every fall we would line up slugs, bullets and broad heads on a wall perlin. Few of which actually killed the animal, but were still in it.

Moral of the story, shoot them in lungs/heart or don't shoot.

Well, i sit corrected ... I guess this is one of those moments where you learn your old man taught you wrong.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2017, 11:17:50 am »
Some Iowa boys do that on a tractor or a combine too......lol.
That may have happened around here years ago, but when a few guys lost their combine I think that pretty well put a end to it around here. Our CO has become very serious and he doesn't give anyone any breaks. A person could buy some very nice hunting trips for the cost of a combine. It's going to be hard to keep the coyotes population in check. They are really hard to keep in a section without guy's watching the road. If I have to watch road I just park a stand somewhere. If I can't stop the coyotes from there they are going to cross the road. We have had a lot of guys get tickets just for having a gun with shells in the tube leaning against a vehicle.
Bjrogg
PS I just have to agree with Pearl. Put whatever your shooting in the broiler room.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise