Author Topic: Deer death  (Read 13909 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Deer death
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2017, 12:57:19 pm »
bjrogg...I gotta agree it's not a very efficient way to farm unless a passenger is along.The operator needs to keep running his machine and getting the harvest out.Priorities win the day there.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2017, 06:08:40 am »
Having a chance to look over literally thousands of deer and hear thousands of deer stories was a great opportunity for me to learn what kills deer outside of my own field experience. From rifles, shotguns, muzzleloaders, cars, trucks, pistols, bolts and arrows. I seen and heard it all. Every fall we would line up slugs, bullets and broad heads on a wall perlin. Few of which actually killed the animal, but were still in it.

Moral of the story, shoot them in lungs/heart or don't shoot.

Well, i sit corrected ... I guess this is one of those moments where you learn your old man taught you wrong.

My dad told me the same thing sleek. It is a generational thing.  I never tried it because I knew from 14 years old on it wasn't a good shot.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2017, 06:44:30 am »
I recall back in 1984 I went to Attikokan Ontario to bear hunt with my .54 muzzle loader.Took a neck shot at a big blackie 25' above him from a pine tree.Knocked him out!!!!After smoke cleared he laid there dead still.Thought that was very odd too.Turns out I just grazed him along his neck and eventually he regained conscience and took off.
Should of took the vital shot right through the shoulder blades.That would of stopped him altogether forever.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2017, 08:11:23 am »
I am a behind the shoulder guy, haven't gun hunted in years but when and if I ever do again it will be behind the shoulder 4 or 5 inches down from the back and 3 or 4 inches up from the brisket, middle of the ribs, they can't live with out heart or lungs. Same with a bow for me. ;) And of course I like the bigger target area,not the greatest with either. ;) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good