Author Topic: Hazel longbow, 100# @ 28"  (Read 60111 times)

Offline FilipT

Re: Hazel longbow, UPDATE: can't brace!
« Reply #90 on: November 17, 2017, 06:19:34 am »
Croatia. I used $ to describe prices I saw on ebay, which are all in dollars. My paypal account and card are also compatible to dollars.
Here in Croatia you can't get almost anything related archery. Country nor people simply don't have interest in it. Those few that don't practice Olympic archer (vomit) must get everything from abroad which has prices that are mostly well noticed on our wallets. There are few archery shops but they sell only bows, arrows and maybe pre made strings.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 06:23:17 am by FilipT »

Offline WillS

« Reply #91 on: November 17, 2017, 10:16:51 am »
Do you not have cows in Croatia?

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #92 on: November 17, 2017, 11:09:35 am »
My linen thread is rated at 18/5 and I get it from a leather-goods suppliers (they sell leather, buckles, threads and so-on for craft workers who make belts, saddles, riding gear, fishing tackle). 

Offline FilipT

« Reply #93 on: November 17, 2017, 11:42:57 am »

And what if we have, do you think that I should go around villages and ask if someone slaughtered a cow recently so I could get horns.

Offline JNystrom

« Reply #94 on: November 17, 2017, 12:10:46 pm »
Just checked that dictum sells 20x100mm rolls of water buffalo horn at 4,4€. You could make two nocks out of it. I might myself order those...

Offline WillS

« Reply #95 on: November 17, 2017, 12:59:43 pm »

And what if we have, do you think that I should go around villages and ask if someone slaughtered a cow recently so I could get horns.

Pretty much, yes.  If paying for them is a problem, do what you have to do.  I get my cow horns from slaughterhouses, farms, cattle vets etc. 

Offline Strichev

« Reply #96 on: November 17, 2017, 03:12:22 pm »
I think it's time to (mis)quote Marshal Tito: "Snađi se, druže, ako se nećeš ni ja ti ne mogo pomoći!" For the English speakers, it means; "Comrade, get round it (as in, be resourceful) if you don't, then not even I can help you." And the man was everything back then, thus, no-one could help.  :laugh:

Anyhow, I'm also having trouble finding useful cow horn on this side of the border. I've talked to a local farmer and he gave me a horn of a huge bull. But the trouble is that the horn is hollow all the way to the tip. The walls are nice and thick but they get really thin at the top and the inside tissue appears to have extended all the way to very apex of the horn.  I talked to some people and they all say that's normal and indeed, that used to be my understanding of cow horn until I started this bowyering addiction. Now, I gave up on cow horn shortly thereafter because I found some nice stag antlers in the forest, but still.

What I wanted to say is that I understand where Filip is coming from with his frustration about horn. That's why one needs to channel one's inner communist dictator/leader/hero. :D
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 03:20:24 pm by Strichev »

Offline DC

« Reply #97 on: November 17, 2017, 03:55:27 pm »
Over here we can get horn, antler, hooves, rawhide and sometimes sinew at pet stores. They are all sold as dog chews. Maybe you have pet stores but maybe not.

Offline willie

« Reply #98 on: November 17, 2017, 04:09:04 pm »
And what if we have, do you think that I should go around villages and ask if someone slaughtered a cow recently?

Not after the job is done, but you might offer to help out the next time a cow gets slaughtered. :)
The last moose I helped with got me all the sinew, some nice large bones, a hide, and enough steak for a few family cookouts, but the antlers were not offered. :(
Perhaps a post about your experiments with a substitute for cow horn will uncover ways other folks have found alternatives
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 12:20:03 am by willie »

Offline FilipT

« Reply #99 on: November 18, 2017, 02:55:10 am »
I think it's time to (mis)quote Marshal Tito: "Snađi se, druže, ako se nećeš ni ja ti ne mogo pomoći!" For the English speakers, it means; "Comrade, get round it (as in, be resourceful) if you don't, then not even I can help you." And the man was everything back then, thus, no-one could help.  :laugh:

Anyhow, I'm also having trouble finding useful cow horn on this side of the border. I've talked to a local farmer and he gave me a horn of a huge bull. But the trouble is that the horn is hollow all the way to the tip. The walls are nice and thick but they get really thin at the top and the inside tissue appears to have extended all the way to very apex of the horn.  I talked to some people and they all say that's normal and indeed, that used to be my understanding of cow horn until I started this bowyering addiction. Now, I gave up on cow horn shortly thereafter because I found some nice stag antlers in the forest, but still.

What I wanted to say is that I understand where Filip is coming from with his frustration about horn. That's why one needs to channel one's inner communist dictator/leader/hero. :D

Haha, Tito being "wise" as usual. Although you are lucky regarding other archery supplies as you have Disport website. I might order FF from them, but they don't have a lot of info on their products.

Offline FilipT

« Reply #100 on: November 18, 2017, 02:56:44 am »
Perhaps a post about your experiments with a substitute for cow horn will uncover ways other folks have found alternatives

If it comes to that I will. I think I read somewhere that there is an artificial substitute and I see that antler ones are cheaper than buffalo on some websites.

Offline FilipT

« Reply #101 on: November 18, 2017, 02:57:53 am »
Over here we can get horn, antler, hooves, rawhide and sometimes sinew at pet stores. They are all sold as dog chews. Maybe you have pet stores but maybe not.

Hmm... interesting idea. I'll check out it in nearby pet shop. Just to be clear, what I am looking for, in what shape horn comes? Also, is it that not too hard for chewing haha?

Offline FilipT

Re: Hazel longbow
« Reply #102 on: November 18, 2017, 03:00:05 am »
I will continue today and try to brace it. These past few days didn't have time so I haven't even tried to do anything.

Offline FilipT

Re: Hazel longbow
« Reply #103 on: November 18, 2017, 07:37:39 am »
Ok, so definitively couldn't brace it. Strength was not a problem but the fact that every string I used as a stringer stretched. I have some belt and I thinking of making a good stringer from it. But I don't know how I could attach it to bow tips. I saw little pockets that are sewn and I am not sure would high force rip off that sewing. Any ideas?

Offline DC

« Reply #104 on: November 18, 2017, 09:42:53 am »

Hmm... interesting idea. I'll check out it in nearby pet shop. Just to be clear, what I am looking for, in what shape horn comes? Also, is it that not too hard for chewing haha?
It comes as a horn. We get Water Buffalo here. They are from young animals I think, They are about 6"(15cm) long. About $7 Canadian.