Author Topic: My first hunting points  (Read 2389 times)

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
My first hunting points
« on: October 18, 2017, 01:29:28 pm »
HI all, after taking some time off from primitive hobbies due to life changes I'm starting to play again.  For the past few weeks I've set some time each day to do some knapping.  Here are the best point I've made thus far.  My goal is usable points for bow hunting.  I know I have a long way to go. 

Any input is welcome.  Do you feel these are sufficient to be ethically used for hunting?  Once I get a deer this year with modern equipment I may shoot it with this arrow to see how it performs. 

To clarify, these are not my first points ever, but the best I have done thus far.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 01:37:54 pm by PAHunter »
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline Outbackbob48

Re: My first hunting points
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 02:21:15 pm »
Rob, good to see ya back doing some knapping, Here is my .02 worth on your points. I am not a big fan of heavy serrations due to I believe grabbing lots of hair, Also in your first pic make sure ears below notchs are sharp and don't stick out to far, make sure your transition area from very end of shaft to point is real smooth, by this no big hump of glue or hafting materials. I like that you are using obsidian for your first ones. My own personal points have very light serrations and are of the Ishi style, long narrow triangles with side notchs, as narrow as legal, and maybe most important of all is shot placement, put your point in the lungs and let some air out and you will be fine.  :KN (=) Bob

Offline Zuma

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 05:25:33 pm »
I'm with Bob.
There must be good reason serrations were almost only used during the
late Paleo and Early Archaic (thrusting spears).
One other thing--- Draw weight. I like at least 50 lbs for prim points.
But that's me.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Stoner

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 07:31:13 pm »
I like serrated edges scary sharp. Please reference Ryan Gill, twistedlimbs . John

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 07:48:53 pm »
John, I believe Ryan Gill also uses light serrations. All points have serrated edges just some more pronounced than others ;D Bob

Offline aaron

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 07:58:02 pm »
I have taken one deer with a stone point.
testing on a dead deer is a good idea.
also flight test to be sure they fly well.
 Here are the things that would give me pause
ears below the notches stick too far out and/or are not sharp.
Serrations are too deep. intentional serrations are unnececary IMO.
Don't look as sharp as they could be.
haft wrap looks like artificial sinew- real sinew is much better and I would use more wraps.
In the end it's up to you.

Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 07:28:05 am »
@outbackbob48:  Good to hear from you Bob!  Thanks for the tips.  Below are two points made by two skilled knapperes that I use as my guides.  Let me know if you have an extra space at any knappins in our area. 
@Zuma; thanks, my hunting bows are 50-62#
@Stoner: I love those scary sharp points Ryan creates too, but his serrations are much smaller than mine.  I just need some more skill and perhaps better tools.  Thanks
@aaron: next deer I get operation test broadhead is in effect!  EHD is just killing me this year.  Last year I had 4 by now.  Agreed on sharpness; that is a result of my newness and them banging around in my knapping box.  :)  wrap is back strap from a deer I killed.  I can use more on the next one.  Sure up to me but I'm humble enough to admit what I don't know.  Many on here have been around the block a few times.  I'm an experienced hunter but with stone points I'm a child.  thanks
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 07:30:38 am »
@aaron: Grats on your first stone point deer, that is awesome!  Hopefully I can join the club some day.  With my selfbow (and metal broadhead) I've missed one right below it's chest cavity and another because I shot at an unexpected angle from a tree and hit an unseen limb with my bow sending the arrow over it's back.  Why it's called hunting not killing.  Best of luck this season!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 07:37:11 am by PAHunter »
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

Offline aaron

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 12:34:01 pm »
Pahunter, pahunter, thanks. The second batch you posted above look much better.  Good luck!
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline PAHunter

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 02:29:19 pm »
Just finished another.  Getting closer to my pro examples on it's right and left.  Mine is the black obsidian one.  Tried to take everyone's advice into account.
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA