Author Topic: I love the nothing to lose staves, pics added  (Read 4836 times)

Offline bradsmith2010

I love the nothing to lose staves, pics added
« on: November 03, 2017, 12:15:19 pm »
I have been looking at this stave ,, I was sure there was not a bow in there,( worm holes hatchet marks too close to the edger etc,,), well I started working on it just for fun and its looking beautiful and there is a bow in there,, I just love those staves, if it doesnt work out no big deal, ,but a great surprise if it does, got a bit more tillering to do and a light target weight,, just whatever the bow will do,, bow making can be real relaxing if dont have a set goal in mind,, now I have a prime yew stave over there,, I dont have the nerve to touch that one yet,, looks stressful,,, (-S
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 01:04:44 pm by bradsmith2010 »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: I love the nothing to lose staves
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 01:16:20 pm »
Those orphans sometimes make the best bows. I think they appreciate being picked.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 01:54:41 pm »
I think early on I made the mistake of working on my worst staves because I didn't want to screw up a good peace of wood but after a couple broken bows and a lot of frustration I started grabbing the better wood  but I have one pristine osage stave that's been setting inside for almost 2 years that makes me nervous to start always thinking when I get better at making bows I will start but it's all in my head really it's just wood ! Now I do it opposite I use my better ones now & save the others for when I get better.
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 02:08:07 pm »
  I always have a few of those impossible staves laying around. I really enjoy it when it works out.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 02:49:07 pm »
Those orphans sometimes make the best bows. I think they appreciate being picked.
+1  :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 03:10:20 pm »
its like a little mini archery miricle,, ;D  we all need those once in while

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 05:37:11 pm »
Those ugly ducklings are fun. I learned on them. LOL. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 06:37:21 pm »
Cool topic Brad.  (-P
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 10:34:54 pm »
Great!!  There's even hope for me!,
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Morgan

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 11:21:55 pm »
Do post pics of it when you’re done please.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2017, 03:48:52 am »
Yes post some pics of the ugly child ?  (-P
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2017, 05:05:07 am »
I know what you mean, Brad. had it often happen here  :)
And now let us see what you have.  8) 8) 8)
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2017, 05:20:36 am »
Years ago a friend gave me 3 of the ugliest staves you can imagine, crooks, knots, twists, you know the ones...firewood! Well, that winter I was determined to build at least one bow from the three staves. They were big, clunky osage so I split 2 of them and started to work. I studied each stave to determine what was the best route to take.
 By the next spring I had 5 shootable bows. Not pretty, not necessarily strong but all were shootable. I learned more about building wood bows then in all the years before. That wood taught me a lot about working wood bows, around knots, about twists, checks and all the things that we usually turn wood into firewood for.
 I also keep a corner of shame. I rarely throw a bow away. Every once in a while I'll pick one of these "orphans" and rework it, studying it's problems and see if I can remedy it . Some of these have turned out to be great little bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2017, 08:34:41 am »
One of the best bows I ever made was from billets that were so twisted and crooked that they looked impossible. I tried a heat gun on one just to see what happened and found to my surprise these billets responded to heat correction better than any I had straightened so far. It took about 15 heat sessions to tame these billets but the end result was perfect.

My next surprise was the finished bow was one of those bows we come across only once in awhile, "0" set, a rocket launcher and dead in the hand. To quote the late Dean Torges,"if you can tame the impossible, twisted wood it always seems to make a great bow".

Here it is with the last coat of finish drying and soon to go out to the new owner.

I hated to turn this bow loose but the good part; I have two more sister billets of this tortured wood with my name on it that aren't going anywhere.

Offline PatM

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2017, 09:11:13 am »
I'm the complete opposite. I only cut "everything to lose" staves.

Finding staves that are flawless is my entire goal.