Author Topic: Finland exam shooting,,  (Read 870 times)

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Finland exam shooting,,
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2017, 09:33:42 am »
Wrong arrows!  The backstop/range is at the Lon Hagler State Wildlife Area operated by the Big Thompson Bowhunters.  Those are my old arrows.  Will try to get correct pic as soon as I devour plate of steak and eggs! -C- :)!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2017, 03:05:34 pm »
ok Today I worked on shooting further, ,, about 19 to 20,,, I had three arrows two the same and a new heavy maple ,,, just wanted to see how it flew,, it hit the paper as much as the two matched ones,,  60# spine  520 grains,, the heavy 700 grain  70# spine,, you can see a wood bow is pretty forgiving in what it will shoot accurately,,, this is my best group and would qualify me to hunt,,
ok but need more practice to hit that my first 3 shots under pressure with people watching ,, whew,,
   I have a lighter bow and thought that might give me an advantage ,, but it didnt so I shot the heavier osage ,,,hope you guys are practicing,,,or shooting and having fun (SH)  give me a few more days and I will try it on video )P(

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2017, 07:49:18 pm »
https://i.imgur.com/Rg3Il2Y_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium
Maybe this works,  crest is about 7 inches.
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2017, 08:07:54 am »
those are nice arrows,,,, I like the two fletch,, looks like it shoots pretty good for you,,what are the shafts made of,,,?

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2017, 08:31:32 am »
Got those in the trade last year - pretty sure they are red osier dogwood.  Plan to try some more two fletch with some shafts I cut.  Only have 4 feathers like that, but have some barred.  Got to move arrow making up the do list.  The older arrows are POC.
Jerry

Offline rautasarvi

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2018, 01:00:18 am »
Nice shooting! And great to see your interest about Finnish bow shooting test.
Here are the rules for Finnish bow shooting test;
3 arrows in 180 seconds from 18 meters into a 23cm circle. Target is just a light circle with no bullseye or anything else.
In same event you can try max 5 times. Bow must be at least 40,5 pounds. (180Newton)
All bowtypes are legal except crossbows, which are not legal in hunting in Finland.
Every try costs 20€ (24,09 USD)

Itīs actually quite hard to even see the circle from 18 meters. We are trying to get this official target to change more bow friendly. This light circle is same as is use with rifle shooting test.
Also primitive bowers and other have criticize the shooting distance because itīs way too much compared to real hunting distances.
There needs to be at least two official supervisors who approve the exam. Im also official shooting test supervisor(rifle and bow), but of course I can not accept my own test.

Many have said to me that they usually can shoot 3 arrows in 23cm circle while shootin at home. In shooting test there comes quite a lot of pressures; supervisors are watching all the time and usually there are other watching too. Also that every missed arrow costs you 20 euros, is not relaxing feeling at all.. =D

The firs video is a video I made almost exactly two years ago. In that time deer legalizing for bow was not in law yet and the shooting test was still under work and talks were that the distance will be 20 meters and the circle will be 20cm wide.
(First there are some talks about bow and hunting and also criticizing the exam to be made just for compound bowers etc, at the end of the video I shoot)

The second video about year ago where the dimension and target are the same as the exam today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPM_Gx_Zbdg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YZ_e7yf3aU