Author Topic: Sometimes you get lucky  (Read 16971 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Sometimes you get lucky
« on: November 12, 2017, 07:36:23 am »
I was checking out the classified over at the American Longrifle site and found an ad for a new, in the box Kibler rifle kit priced $200 less than the price from Jim Kibler. These kits are CNC machined and go together very easily, the best part they are historically correct for a southern rifle.

32 cal, Rice A weight barrel, Chambers late Ketland lock, figured walnut stock, something I have been lusting after since they came out but not pulled the trigger on.

I guess the other guys were watching football and missed this one or would have been snapped up in a matter of minutes. I pulled the trigger on this on as fast as I could.

This makes two kits I caught at a bargain by haunting the various free classifieds. I picked up a Track of the Wolf Isaac Haines kit worth $1100 for $650 shipped off at of all places, the Stickbow classified.

I built 5 guns in a row and was taking a break so the Track kit is waiting in the wings, I will probably finish the Kibler kit first.

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Sometimes you get lucky
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 05:18:26 pm »
32's are fun to shoot!
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline chamookman

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 04:48:50 am »
Great find Eric ! My next project is going to be either a .36 or .40 cal. "Poor Boy " for Tree Rats  :-M. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 07:10:28 am »
Here is the kit;

Offline Stoker

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 09:30:10 am »
That's gonna be a sweetheart   :OK  Great score
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline chamookman

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 03:39:38 am »
NICE  :OK ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 07:15:47 pm »
Man, that's nice. I'd have to find one a little cheaper. But, I did find an antique round ball mold for .32 caliber in an antique store today.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 10:23:14 pm »
Off and running;

Draw filing the barrel;

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017, 11:49:35 am »
Nice find!  Almost like stealing!  Got to get the bow made, and then, decide if I want to tackle a kit gun!  Probably will do a remake on the .45 pistol I put together for my wife(with a lot of help from our resident gunsmith)! 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2017, 05:25:34 pm »
Nice find Eric! The kit gun is still on my list! But I got a question for you? Have you made a stock from scratch? Or do you know a place to send a blank to that will inlet it to at least about 90 percent?
The reason I ask is that I plan on building a new stock for a winchester model 94 30-30 lever action . I have this beautiful piece of Walnut that I plan to use.

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2017, 07:57:54 am »
I don't know about a stock for a 30-30 but there are a bunch of places that will use your wood or supply the wood to precarve any type of black powder rifle.

I sent off two blanks to have the barrel inletted and the ramrod hole drilled, I did the rest of the shaping. I use full sized patterns that have cross sections shown so I can get the shape right.

A stock for a modern gun would be a piece of cake compared to a M/L.

I use a contour gage like the one in the picture to get the shape right.

Offline Mike Yancey

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2017, 08:11:28 am »
Good find! Im getting ready to start a 36, 40 and a couple of 20 smooth rifles once I get these 20 anniversary bows finished. Im building the 36 for me. All of these are from blanks.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2017, 09:33:48 am »
Thanks Eric,  sorry to hijack your post, but I figured you were the best person to ask.  I am planning on building a wood stock for my cva bobcat so that will help.  The contour gauge is a great idea! Thanks!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Mike Yancey

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2017, 10:29:03 am »
You should be done by now! Where are the pictures!!!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2017, 01:35:13 pm »
I have had the creeping crud for two weeks, missed a good part of the rut because of the persistent coughing. I am highly undermotivated to work in the shop when I am under the weather.

I finished draw filing the barrel  yesterday, before I draw filed it it wouldn't go in the barrel channel, yesterday it dropped in with a perfect fit. I am going to fit the lolly pop tang this evening.

After deer season I crank up my projects, I have another gun to build and several bows.