Author Topic: Sometimes you get lucky  (Read 16975 times)

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Sometimes you get lucky
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2017, 02:25:53 pm »
Patrick, sent pm to. Avoid further hijacking!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2017, 05:26:24 pm »
I got the barrel and tang in as well as the triggers in and tapped for the tang screws.

This kit is almost embarrassingly easy to put together after doing several scratch builds. One could put it together with a 1/8" chisel, a 6" flat file, a few fingernail sanding boards and a oil lamp to blacken the parts. The inlets are very tight and closed to finished, just a little sanding and very light chisel work and the parts fall right in with no inletting gaps.

Kibler just came out with a Lancaster kit if anyone is looking for a period correct rifle in a larger bore size than the squirrel rifle.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2017, 06:04:34 pm »
Thats cool Eric! Can't wait to see pictures of it! I still read through you build along you done a while ago.  I have learned a lot from it. 

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2017, 05:04:03 pm »
I got the barrel, tang and triggers in as well as taped the trigger plate for the tang bolts. Easy, easy, everything almost fit right off the bat, just a little chiseling required.

I installed the underlugs today, the dovetails were already cut and only a few thousands too narrow for the lugs. A couple of passed on the lugs with a three corner file and they tapped into place. I like to file them to match the barrel profile. The stock was inletted perfectly for the lugs and they all went in on the first try. I did loosen up the lug mortis just a little for a looser fit.

Drilling pin holes through the lugs will be next.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2017, 07:01:06 pm »
Looking really good Eric!

Patrick

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Online chamookman

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2017, 02:58:15 am »
Following along  (-P - Thanks for posting Eric. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2017, 09:04:17 am »
Another thing; If you guys haven't noticed, Jim Kibler has a Lancaster kit out now and is taking preorders.  According to Jim this kit will be even easier to put together than the squirrel rifle kit because of upgrades to their CNC stock shaping.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 08:02:16 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2018, 10:13:20 pm »
Almost done with the Kibler kit.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2018, 08:41:13 am »
Looking good.. Squirrels beware
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2018, 11:01:21 am »
Thats beautiful man!

Patrick

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2018, 07:54:43 am »
I am inletting the ramrod pipes on my Kibler kit, do the first one, it came out well, inlet the second one, nice fit and start on the third one. I have to file a lot off the tab to get the pipes in and not hit the barrel so I reach for pipe #2 to compare the tab with pipe #3 after a bit if filing. Where is pipe #2, I put it on my work bench, I keep my workbench clean, it is gone. I shift a few things around knowing it got under a piece of paper, no pipe. I did hear something hit the floor while I was bent over the gun in my optivisors, I have a pick-up bed mat in front of my workbench for anything to fall on and be easily found, no ramrod pipe is on the mat.

I enlarged my search, under the bandsaw, under the work bench, I crawl on my hands and knees all over the shop floor, no ramrod pipe. I look in the house where I took a coffee break earlier, no pipe.

I walk to the mailbox and check the driveway because I did walk down and get the mail while I was working on the pipes.

I am sitting in my house scratching my head, I have turned out the lights in my shop, I get my super bright tactical flashlight and go back to the shop, I search with the lights off and my spotlight bright flashlight that really isolates individual things, no pipe.

I must have a ghost messing with me is all I can think, I guess I will order another pipe.

On things like this in the past I often find the item months later in a perfectly obvious location, go figure........

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2018, 08:26:48 pm »
Hate when that happens.  Haints, boojums, sprites, or little people...call them what you will, but they are touchy and once offended are hard of hearing when it comes to apologies.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Stringman

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2018, 08:21:40 am »
Always enjoy watching your gun builds, Eric. This uns no different.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2018, 06:44:00 pm »
I am stretching out this build trying to add a few little things but not so much as to make it too ornate for a southern rifle.

I added a toe plate for a little bling, temporary screws of course;

Offline johnfolchetti

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2018, 06:46:06 am »
Nice work inletting that from scratch.