Author Topic: Trying the Footed Route  (Read 8975 times)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Trying the Footed Route
« on: December 12, 2017, 07:06:04 pm »
Picked up some tulip poplar and walnut boards last week. Cut into 3/8" squares. Tulip polar shafts are about 36" now. Walnut will be used as footers .... about 8" long.

Tapered about half the shafts tonight. Taper is about 5" long. Used belt sander jigged up to function as edge sander.

Mating taper in footers will be cut tomorrow if not too cold. Hopefully eyesight and steady hand will be up to the task.   :(
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Trying the Footed Route
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 09:30:23 pm »
Good luck Knoll Top. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 10:33:29 pm »
Looking forward to seeing the outcome.   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 06:18:18 am »
What happened to the cane you were working on?
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 07:42:13 am »
Bill ... I am still able to walk and chew gum at same time. Though patting head and rubbing tummy has always been a challenge.   :D

... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 08:04:40 am »
Good topic Mike.Nothing wrong with walnut looks wise.I used the TBB book instructions to do mine.In all fairness the footed shaft serves more than looks.It'll put more weight forward on your shaft too.A good 50 grains many times.A desireable feature.Overall footing is usually a good 7" long without changing the spine any.So I usually use purple heart or even osage.I think Badger did a build-a-long somewhere once too.I think it can make the shaft a bit tougher up front too.
Have you gotten after those dogwoods yet?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 08:08:33 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline TSA

• www.trueshaftarchery.com
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 08:37:22 am »
going to be very pretty ;)

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 09:15:38 am »
Bill ... I am still able to walk and chew gum at same time. Though patting head and rubbing tummy has always been a challenge.   :D

Just wondered if you got tired  of straightening  them   :) ;)
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 10:30:05 am »
gm78xhh.jpg[/img]

Mating taper in footers will be cut tomorrow if not too cold. Hopefully eyesight and steady hand will be up to the task.   :(
Like Ed I used the TBB method of a saw kerf instead of a taper. I thought it worked great. Is there a reason you're not using that method?

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 12:51:38 pm »
Have not reviewed the TBB method.

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 03:02:47 pm »
Basically you just put a saw herf down the center, put a clamp at the end of the kerf to avoid splitting and glue up and force the tapered piece into the kerf. When the glue dries plane off the excess. Here's a quick mock-up. Took maybe 5 min. I use this method to repair broken tips.
PS a few more clamps are needed ;D

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 11:07:09 am »
I use 3" but just because that's the width of the vertical belt sander that I sand the tapers on. I've never broken one but 5" is more traditional I think.

Offline willie

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2017, 11:56:09 am »
DC I know this is from the other thread, but are the chrysals right where the clamp in the pic is?

Apparently the chrysals happen just behind the tip because he repaired them by footing the arrows. Has anyone heard of this. How low does your spine have to be so that the arrow bends far enough to chrysal? Or have I got this all wrong?

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2017, 12:23:30 pm »
Glued up 1st one last night.

Used spring clamp at bottom of taper to prevent footed portion from splitting as shaft portion was pushed in. Got a hairline crack down there. Next time will use c clamp. Think some sanding dust and glue will hide the tiny crack.

Used 4 spring clamps to hold joint together until glue cured.

Now to make some kinda shooting board to turn this square into something resembling an arrow shaft . . . . .

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2017, 12:30:14 pm »
Ed . . . those dogwood shafts are laying next to my "crafting" table waiting for inspiration.   O:)

Bill . . . worked on 6 cane shafts last night. Have ya seen Jack Crafty's 3-part video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTo_okihzuk