Author Topic: Trying the Footed Route  (Read 8978 times)

Offline DC

Re: Trying the Footed Route
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2017, 12:35:36 pm »
DC I know this is from the other thread, but are the chrysals right where the clamp in the pic is?

Apparently the chrysals happen just behind the tip because he repaired them by footing the arrows. Has anyone heard of this. How low does your spine have to be so that the arrow bends far enough to chrysal? Or have I got this all wrong?

They crysalled before he footed them. The footing was a repair to get rid of the chrysals.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2017, 12:40:25 pm »
Those are gonna be sweet Mr Mike

Offline willie

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2017, 12:51:10 pm »
DC,  a chrysal is a compression failure, but maybe on the arrow it was not from bending, but from hitting too hard?

Knoll, I think somewhere I read about making the tapers concave or hollow ground, if you were going to force them into the kerf method

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2017, 01:57:22 pm »
Very cool start, Mikey.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2017, 05:15:54 pm »
Got started on a shooting board to turn these squares into rounds.
It's a couple pieces, with each piece chamfered to form half of the "trough" that will hold the shaft squares.
Got 'em stuck together now.
I hate waiting for glue to cure . . . . . .

... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2017, 08:19:49 am »
First shaft is planed down to slightly more than 23/64.

Glue joint has quite the impact on spine measurement. This shaft is measuring 70+ lbs. Shaft from same board, but not footed, measured just 50ish lbs.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2017, 07:02:23 pm »
It did'nt with mine using purple heart or osage.I made mine parallel width though with the shaft.You'll have to take her down some then to get 50#.Personally I like as narrow a shaft as I can get off these self bows.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2017, 10:19:32 am »
At approx 23/64 dia and 32" length, ended up at 41# spine. That is gonna work well for me.
Re earlier spine measurement, have hunch that I messed up measurement.
Found that hand-planing squares into shafts was easy. Making a shooting board as aid to planing was significant help.
Now gluing footers to some more shafts.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 10:32:17 am by Knoll »

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2017, 01:08:41 pm »
I see.The red alert has been shut off then.As long as your happy that's what counts.Some oily finish should bring the contrast out nice,or even any kind of finish.Show some pics when your done.They go for pretty good money if bought made like that.
I usually just reduce mine with a file to 8 facets.Then a little spinning in the drill with some stiff 60 grit down to 220 gets me where I like mine.I still seem to lose them just as quick as a regular plain jane shafts though.....lol.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2017, 05:34:58 pm »
I still seem to lose them just as quick as a regular plain jane shafts though.....lol.

I think this is the major reason I have not gone off the deep end and made shafts like this!!!

Keep posting pics as you go, this is good stuff!

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2017, 11:17:29 am »
First 4 are finished.

They are 23/64. Spine measurements are 46, 45, 41, and 40. There are 5 more to do. This has been fun project and way easier than anticipated.

I cut some red oak, maple, and more tulip poplar squares. Some of those are completed.

Totally off topic, but also working on some river cane shafts that came from certain gentleman in KY.

This will likely be the end of arrow shaft work until after holidays. The Wife just pushed a "get ready for family to descend" to-do list under my nose.
Merry Christmas to all!!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 09:59:43 pm by Knoll »

Offline DC

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2017, 01:15:20 pm »
When I did this I was also really surprized how easy it was to get a good glue joint. I guess because the pieces are so thin they just bend to fit. The only part i found a bit tough was trying to get it straight with the clamps blocking your view.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2017, 01:21:30 pm »
When I did this I was also really surprized how easy it was to get a good glue joint. I guess because the pieces are so thin they just bend to fit. The only part i found a bit tough was trying to get it straight with the clamps blocking your view.

I concur.   ;D

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2017, 08:24:50 pm »
I wonder if having the foot piece in a pot of hot water would also help them flex, match up tighter, and resist splitting?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2017, 08:59:47 am »
They are looking good Knoll, very nice shafts. Never done any myself but have had several gifted to me and they seem to shoot really great, I think because as Ed said the weight forward effect. ;)
Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good